Barcode scanner on MFP phone app is awesome

Options
txjg
txjg Posts: 12 Member
Have you guys been using the MyFitnessPal barcode scanner on the phone app to scan food to add to your diary? It's amazing! I'm using it all the time now. Scan your milk, cottage cheese, soup can, sugar free jello cup, protein shakes, packaged deli meat, etc. I haven't found anything that isn't in the database yet and it makes food tracking so easy. Even less common foods from Trader Joe's and Costco are in there.

Replies

• slimmomof4
    slimmomof4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new to MFP. Where can I find the barcode scanner?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Have you guys been using the MyFitnessPal barcode scanner on the phone app to scan food to add to your diary? It's amazing!

Yes it is! I've had a couple items not come up - or totally different items come up but for the most part it is fantastic!

Slimmomof4 - on the app when you go to enter food next to the search bar there is a little button w/a bunch of lines and a line through them - that's the scanner. If you touch it you can then scan the bar code of your item.
  • txjg
    txjg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Indeed, I love that thing.
  • swimmer_chick
    swimmer_chick Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That thing saves me! I eat some random as hell foods which apparently don't exist otherwise :wink:
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    UM OMG is this thing great! I have seen the scanner but never really paid much attention to it till NOW! I have been playing with it since I saw this post lol. I LOVE IT!
  • Tobybear1
    Tobybear1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How much data does the phone app use? Just wondering so I know whether I can use it or not.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love it, too!!

If I had any complaint, it would be that sometimes the nutritional info is off - maybe a change in recipe, or packaged for a different country's standards. That's a blower.

But otherwise - UUUH-MAZING!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If only there was one for BBZ10...
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How much data does the phone app use? Just wondering so I know whether I can use it or not.

I can't give a real specific answer because the majority of the time I'm using wifi while on the app but it does struggle to "synchronize" entries when on 3g speeds
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time!!
    I only have 1 G of data per month and use my phone a lot and never go over so i dont think the scanner uses much data, but I could be wrong, maybe I don't use as much as I think i do lol.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you compare the nutritional information that comes up on MFP with what is on the package. I've scanned a number of items and had it bring up an item with significantly different numbers than were on the package.

Whoever scans the item first attaches that bar code to the item. If they don't put in the right information, then you will get what they put in. I don't think it can be corrected.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! I use it all of the time! When I'm in the grocery story and I see something in the bakery department, I will scan the barcode and I will quickly put an item down!!! Some things are just not worth the caloric intake!!! LOL
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If only there was one for BBZ10...

The forgotten people