Dr. Is recommends l- carnitine for weight loss?? Anyone hav

Options
looney9708
looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
Dr. Oz recommends taking l-carnitine for much more effective fat loss and therefore increased weight loss. He also recommended green tea, raspberry enzyme, white kidney bean enzyme and some others. Do any of you take any of these? If so, have they helped at all??

Replies

• breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend and i were looking at that on the weekend.
    he used to use it when he was training lots.
    it makes your body burn hours after you've stopped working out, therefore burning for fat, weight loss!
    im not sure. it didnt say anything on the bottle about weight loss or fat loss or anything. it just said energy so i wasnt sure. i didnt get any cause i wasnt convinced but id love to hear any other replies!
  • Zuffie
    Zuffie Posts: 1
    Options
    I saw that episode as well. I would like to hear people's views.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find a store that sells raspberry enzyme. Looked at Costco - Trader Joe's but no luck. Where are these things found? I guess I could shop on line - did see it on Amazon.com
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a very serious disease and takes carnitine for it.. and the only people i've ever known to take it are really sick. If you're liver and other protein processing enzymes are working properly, they make all the carnitine you'll need. Besides, you can't get good quality carnitine over the counter anyway. There's no way this is a miracle fat loss drug. It's a gimmick at best, and you pee off what you don't use.. so all you're doing is making expensive urine. Plus it stinks in your sweat and urine. You'll smell like a cat box.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    L-carnitine has been used by bodybuilders for a long time. I used in when I was in highschool, but now it is unavailable in Canada due to various questionable government things. Basically it is something your own body produces, but higher levels can be beneficial. If I could get it here, I would.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I take acetyl l-carnitine twice a day (once in the morning on empty tummy & once at night right before bed). I think it does help a little bit when met with a balanced diet.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The L-Caritine is the best kept secret. It is a natural enzyme that really get's in the deep tissue layers of muscle where hard to reach fat hides. You will be shocked at how quickly you see results. My back boobs are just about gone. You may not feel any different at first. Just wait and see. I highly recommend before and after pix of problem area's. My trainer/nutrtionist got me hooked. LOVE IT! I use Universal brand. Good luck.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    L-carnitine is a fat transporter. It transports fat into your cells to be converted into energy instead of stored as fat. It can help with weight loss if you are eating a clean diet. I have also taken CLA. CLA has many proven benefits including increased metabolic rate, increased muscle growth, lowers cholesterol and triglycerides, lowers insulin resistance, improves your immune system, and has been proven to increase your lean mass to body fat ratio. If anyone plans on buying any of these supplements, I highly recommend looking on ebay. You can get a lot more for your money. Hope this helps. As for the other supplements you have spoken of...I've never done any research on them.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ummmm. to the comment from ladymuscle. I do not have the cat urine problem. I sweat a lot at the gym. No problem with that. And due to lack of nutrients that should be found in our nutrtion our bodies can not make our own daily allowance. I am no professional. But I do my research. I live in Nevada and it is readily available.
  • looney9708
    Options
    Thanks! I will definately look on eBay. The woman at the supplement store also recommended the other one you mentioned. I'm willing to try them
  • RacketlonSA
    RacketlonSA Posts: 10
    Options
    Personally ive tried all the lazy ways of fat loss. Lcarnatine, Thermogenics (like having 5 shots of esspresso), green tea (just made me nauzeous). None worked for me would have been better off giving the $ to a good cause (like my education).
    Now i use only a multi-vit, MFP and common sense. Seems to be working. hang in there. Some say it works, i think its like those placebo wrist bands people wear, what ever makes you feel better.
  • looney9708
    Options
    I went to a health supplement store. Try there, but someone said ebay
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about Acetyl L-Carnitine??? I have been taking this for my brain/memory fog.... i had no idea it had anything to do with weight loss.....
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    L-carnitine has been used by bodybuilders for a long time. I used in when I was in highschool, but now it is unavailable in Canada due to various questionable government things. Basically it is something your own body produces, but higher levels can be beneficial. If I could get it here, I would.

this.

Universal USA sells it. Check their site out.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    My daughter has a very serious disease and takes carnitine for it.. and the only people i've ever known to take it are really sick. If you're liver and other protein processing enzymes are working properly, they make all the carnitine you'll need. Besides, you can't get good quality carnitine over the counter anyway. There's no way this is a miracle fat loss drug. It's a gimmick at best, and you pee off what you don't use.. so all you're doing is making expensive urine. Plus it stinks in your sweat and urine. You'll smell like a cat box.

i disagree!! i have really bad periods and the doc told me to take l-carnitine and it has made a HUUUUUUGE difference. (When I take it like I should). And I guess I did notice a quicker more substantial weight loss when I was taking it and working out and eating better. Not at all saying just taking it will help alone, but when you do all the right things, maybe it does help speed up the process. I'm gonna have to get back on it.. I get it at GNC and it's great quality.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the back of my bottle right now...the capsules are 250mg each... says promotes brain metabolism, memory and cognitive function,

Also says it's responsible for long-chain fatty acid transport for ATP production within the mitochondria....but i haven't a clue what this means....

It makes me feel more alert, that's why i take it............ I can't handle those crazy energy drinks/pills/etc....
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Worked for me. That's all I can say. :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    carnitine is ****. It doesnt do anything for fat oxidation
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10861338

Bodybuilders used glutamine for a long time. We know the tragic end in that story
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a moron.

^ this.

Whether or not any of the magical supplements do what they are actually supposed to, you are likely better off saving your money. Look around the net and see if you can find some reliable studies done on human subjects, first of all to know that it would be safe, and second to know that it would actually be effective. Could it help? Maybe, but don't count on it.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a moron.

^ this.

Whether or not any of the magical supplements do what they are actually supposed to, you are likely better off saving your money. Look around the net and see if you can find some reliable studies done on human subjects, first of all to know that it would be safe, and second to know that it would actually be effective. Could it help? Maybe, but don't count on it.
    agreed

its better to make sure you have adequate calcium to maintain maximum fat oxidation.
    Adequate intake of calcium is associated with increased fat oxidation

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v27/n2/abs/802202a.html