Addiction

Options
bf1110
bf1110 Posts: 72 Member
I have an addiction. I feel like maybe I should start going to AA meeting. No I am not an alcohlic. I have what I believe to be one of the worst addictions there is. I am addicted to food. And I feel like no one understands it or me. I figured the one person I am closes to would understand because he was a drug addicted but he dont even get it. I have been doing my fitness pal for almost a month now and I do very well but I do have slip ups and I just want support when I have these slip ups but instead I feel judged and then I become what he calls a ***** because I feel like Im being judged. I feel bad afterwards but I cant help it all that matters in that time period is my food. I can understand if it became an everyday thing but when you see me slip up dont yell at me or try to prove that you are right over how much food is there. Im not even sure if anyone here will get this. I feel so alone anymore in my journey. Drugs are a bit easier to quit because you can just stay away from them yes you will think about them yes it is hard but food I believe is harder to break because its something that is in front of your face everyday of your life and you just have to try and deal with it. Try and maintain eatting a good amount and the right things. I dont know what to do anymore. Im losing weight and doign a good job keeping things undercontrol but its not always easy and I dont know how to make others understand that.Food is an addiction to. I hate having this feeling of just wanting to plan out what I want to eat and when I want to eat it so no one esle sees me eat. I want to feel comfortable again eatting in front of others and not feel judged. I think Im done venting but I still dont know what to do...................

Replies

• Sleepynita
    Sleepynita Posts: 82
    Options
    A lot of us were in the same boat.
    Start logging and owning what you are eating, and why you are eating it.
  • dennisbaker
    Options
    Every single day...eat VERY LARGE PASTA SALADS (with very little salad dressing)...and you won't be hungry. Change the dressing to change the flavor. It's sometimes easier to do something than NOT do something! Good luck!
  • TaraM430
    TaraM430 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel that food addiction a lot. I am an emotional eater and I like to binge when I feel sad, depressed, or frustrated. I was also raised in a family where every holiday/celebration revolves around food and where feeding everyone is a way of showing love. You are right, you can't escape food, you need it to live, temptation is everywhere, you can't avoid it. What you CAN do is try to make good choices about the food you keep in your house. Every day is a struggle so you have to take it one day at a time. It is hard and frustrating and we all fall off the wagon but the important thing is getting back on and moving forward.
  • bf1110
    bf1110 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    TaraM Thank you so much. If it wasnt for your post I think I would have over eat like crazy but I just happened to get on here at the right moment and it made me cry so thank you I think you may have just saved my diet.
    And Corey Ohnoes I have heard about OA I was acually hoping to start a group here in my town. Thank you so much for your support
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There's a really good book for food addicts if you want to give it a try. It's called Love Hunger. I used it when I first moved out on my own and my eating was nothing BUT emotional and my weight was out of control. I started to recognize the things that triggered my emotional eating and it really helped me put a lot of things into perspective....things I still use today (26 years later).

There are a lot of emotional eaters on here. If there weren't, those of us who are food addicts wouldn't be trying to lose so much weight. You can do it, and some days will be easier than others. Sometimes you just have to tell yourself to get through the next hour, or even next ten minutes just to get through a day.

We're here if you need to vent. Hugs and good luck!
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    I just posted a thread about an hour ago asking if anyone has been treated and how. I truly believe food addiction is a true disease. I have done some OA meetings and they do help. If nothing else it's a good place to open up.

If you want a good read check out Fat Boy, Thin Man by Michael Prager. It's about how he battled the addiction and beat it. A good quick read.

This is a great place for support as well. Good luck!
  • DaveInSoCal
    DaveInSoCal Posts: 12
    Options
    I feel you on this, I have the same issues. In my case not food so much but beer mmm... beer....
    It is very difficult to give up the things that make us feel good, and I actually make my own beer as a hobby so that makes it even harder.
    I'm sure the majority of us here have the same things going on, and that is why we all hold each other up.

Any addiction is destructive, the good thing is you realize the thing that brings you so much pleasure is also gaining control over you. Many people never realize the damage addictions can do or they do see it but lack the strength to fight their way out of it.

Don't worry you are strong and together we are all stronger, persevere you are going to win the fight!