When I look in the mirror, I don't see the weight loss....

Options
When I started myfitnesspal, I weighed 150 lbs. As of this morning, I weigh 135.4 lbs. Almost down 15 lbs. However, when I look in the mirror, I don't feel like I've lost 15 lbs. I still feel fat, and I still feel like I look fat!

Has anyone else felt like this? What do you do to make youself see how much weight you've lost?

Replies

• fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    Yep...down 30 pounds and lost a few sizes..but I don't really see it when I look in the mirror either...thats okay..I know its gone :)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to see the weight loss... or not as much as everyone else noticed! When I joined the gym this week it was a shock to me just how small I had become... then I noticed the weight loss. Didn't like it much. Haha us women are never happy!
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    Options
    I feel the same exact way. My husband is constantly telling me how much he can tell I have lost and even though I know my sizes have dropped, I still see that same fat chick in the mirror. I think it will be a struggle even until I lose all of the weight and then it will be just a shock that I have reached my goal weight. Keep up the hard work and dedication!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Get a before and after pic and compare them... the mirror isn't the best gauge, because if you are losing slow and steady, you become used to what you are seeing. I've only lost 6, so I really don't see much, but if I compare pics, I can see the little differences in my chest, arms, and legs :) You are doing great!
  • Thick80
    Thick80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I've now lost a little over 28 lbs but I still wear most of the same clothes. Yes, they're looser but I would think 28 lbs lost would be at least a size or two. Still at a 14. =( I have been waiting for people to mention that I look different but nobody has. Oh well, just makes me want to work harder! The scale is more accurate than my self perception.........
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't notice on themselves. I bet you are in smaller sizes - so that is telling you something! People will notice too (some of them). Don't worry - it's WORKING! I am lucky - I see it in myself - even the measly 16 lbs I have lost (have a long way to go) but I have a friend who does not notice the 65 lbs she lost - or anyone else's weight loss as well!
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    You have to take measurments. I tell everyone this when they start dieting. I am close to 25lbs down and stil kinda have a hard time telling other then how my clothes are fitting. I agree that the mirror does us no justice and honestly I couldn't even start to tell until I was about 15-20lbs down. It all depends on your build. Pictures also is a GREAT way to tell. My hubby and friends/ family have all said how much they notice and I see it now with the more weight I lose. Remember your looking at yourself numerous times a day probably in some of the same mirrors so your not gonna notice. Go back and look at pictures of yourself before you started dieting, that helps too if you haven't taken measurments. Congrats on your weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    yes I have felt the same way. You can compare pics but also put on an outfit that you were wearing before you started loosing weight and see how much looser it is. That is a good indication of how much you have lost. Congrats on your weightloss, dont give up keep going
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    Absolutely get where you are on this - I don't see it - I am my own biggest critic - nothing original there - but I think my image of me is more in my head than in the mirror. I know I've lost 20lbs - I can tell my jeans needed replacing, I fit clothes I didnt before and my scales tell me I have. Reflection in the mirror - probably tells me I have lost about 2lbs.
    How you feel about yourself and how you see yourself are as big a part of the journey as the actual weight loss itself.
    I am trying to lose weight, but I more than anything want to be able to look at myself in the mirror without all the crap that goes with it (that's as clear as I can be on this for now).
    Good luck with your journey - and keep going - it's not a journey you're taking on your own
    :flowerforyou:
  • MakeupbyMissVee
    Options
    I have lost 28 pounds so far also (amber_magic) and am also still wearing the same clothes so don't feel bad. My sister tells me all the time that she can tell that I have lost the weight but other people say they can just tell in my face that I have lost the weight. I dunno. I don't think I will actually feel like I am loosing until I drop in sizes significantly. I think when I drop about four sizes then I will feel like I am doing something. Until then I am going to keep pushing and keep going because I can tell a difference in my energy level and my moods and to me that is worth it until I can also tell in the mirror that I have lost.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, actually whenever I lose weight I feel FATTER then I did before I started to lose it. I'm not sure why we feel this way, maybe because we want to see that drastic change so fast when really it's a slow process. I think one of the best things to do is pay attention to how much more energy you have, how much happier you seem, how your clothes feel looser, or take before pictures.
    I always thought that on Biggest Loser how they make a video to themselves in the beginning and watch it at the end was a great way to show yourself in the end how far you have really come.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Take a photo in your underwear every week when you weigh. Nobody has to see it but you, but then when you scroll through photos, you will see the change.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    When I started myfitnesspal, I weighed 150 lbs. As of this morning, I weigh 135.4 lbs. Almost down 15 lbs. However, when I look in the mirror, I don't feel like I've lost 15 lbs. I still feel fat, and I still feel like I look fat!

Has anyone else felt like this? What do you do to make youself see how much weight you've lost?

I will relate a story that is completely relevant to this topic, it happened to me many years ago.

I had had my first baby and I was overweight, I went on a strict eating plan and exercised religiously, it was my first ever "diet", but I was young and the pounds were melting away. I would look in the mirror and see "fat".

The weeks went by and I was losing 2lb per week - every week. 14lbs lighter, I would look in the mirror, but still I was "fat", I couldn't see the difference whatsoever, but still I continued.

Now bear in mind that I was wearing all the clothes I wore before I started losing weight, by this I mean I never went out to buy any.

The weeks went by and after losing 28lbs, I would look in the mirror - nope, still fat. On I plugged, sticking completely and utterly to my eating plan and exercising like a machine. The weight slowed down, I just stuck in another exercise day. The pounds came off - 2lbs per week.

Finally, when I was 126lbs, at 5ft 7" tall, I looked in the mirror - still fat. However, there was one big difference at this point, my husband was now telling me to stop losing weight as he thought I was slim enough. Me? I was still fat, I could see it for my own eyes in the mirror, oh I had a long way to go.

Fortunately for me, fate intervened, my skirts were falling down! I gathered that I must have gotten a bit smaller or that would not have happened, I would need to buy some new clothes.

I remember going into a high street chain and taking two skirts off the rack. The changing rooms were communal, I changed into a new skirt and top and turned around to look into the mirror. I couldn't see the mirror, I remember turning 360 degrees looking for it.

Suddenly I stopped, there was a girl standing there in the same outfit that I was wearing, how weird!

That girl was me, I had lost so much damn weight that I didn't even recognise myself! To say it was a shock was a complete understatement. I remember going right up to the mirror and just standing there.

It was that precise moment I knew, I had lost a hell of a lot of weight. I had not seen it in the mirror because the mind is a peculiar thing, it sees what it wants to see.

My advice to the OP is to trust the scales, make a note of what weight you want to get to and stick to it. Take measurements and decide what measurements you want to get to and stick to it, because when you get there in reality, you may not think it is enough and try to go beyond that.

Keep your feet on the ground at all times and remember that what you are seeing in the mirror isn't necessarily what is in reality x
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I think we all do this. It's hard to look at the accomplishments and beauty of ourselves. My suggestion is to take pics, at least once a week. When you look back on those you will see your progress more clearly. Congrats on your 15! That is no small feat! :flowerforyou:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

I will relate a story that is completely relevant to this topic, it happened to me many years ago.

I had had my first baby and I was overweight, I went on a strict eating plan and exercised religiously, it was my first ever "diet", but I was young and the pounds were melting away. I would look in the mirror and see "fat".

The weeks went by and I was losing 2lb per week - every week. 14lbs lighter, I would look in the mirror, but still I was "fat", I couldn't see the difference whatsoever, but still I continued.

Now bear in mind that I was wearing all the clothes I wore before I started losing weight, by this I mean I never went out to buy any.

The weeks went by and after losing 28lbs, I would look in the mirror - nope, still fat. On I plugged, sticking completely and utterly to my eating plan and exercising like a machine. The weight slowed down, I just stuck in another exercise day. The pounds came off - 2lbs per week.

Finally, when I was 126lbs, at 5ft 7" tall, I looked in the mirror - still fat. However, there was one big difference at this point, my husband was now telling me to stop losing weight as he thought I was slim enough. Me? I was still fat, I could see it for my own eyes in the mirror, oh I had a long way to go.

Fortunately for me, fate intervened, my skirts were falling down! I gathered that I must have gotten a bit smaller or that would not have happened, I would need to buy some new clothes.

I remember going into a high street chain and taking two skirts off the rack. The changing rooms were communal, I changed into a new skirt and top and turned around to look into the mirror. I couldn't see the mirror, I remember turning 360 degrees looking for it.

Suddenly I stopped, there was a girl standing there in the same outfit that I was wearing, how weird!

That girl was me, I had lost so much damn weight that I didn't even recognise myself! To say it was a shock was a complete understatement. I remember going right up to the mirror and just standing there.

It was that precise moment I knew, I had lost a hell of a lot of weight. I had not seen it in the mirror because the mind is a peculiar thing, it sees what it wants to see.

My advice to the OP is to trust the scales, make a note of what weight you want to get to and stick to it. Take measurements and decide what measurements you want to get to and stick to it, because when you get there in reality, you may not think it is enough and try to go beyond that.

Keep your feet on the ground at all times and remember that what you are seeing in the mirror isn't necessarily what is in reality x

:heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It's always going to be a roller coaster of emotions. Some days you'll feel great & other days you'll feel flabby & gross. I deal with this everyday still. I think the key for me is putting in extra effort. When I say this, I mean I usually feel bad when I'm in my pj's or sweats just being a bum with crazy hair & no make-up. I feel SOOOO much better when I take the time to pick out an outfit for myself & take the time to do my hair and make-up. I know that it make sound superficial & that it is important to look deeper & realize how far you've come and love yourself for who you are, but really, who doesn't feel better with a little lipstick and a cute top & pair of jeans ;) Over time you'll get new clothes & see the changes in your sizes & start to really realize how all your hard work has paid off!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Great story Lotusf1ower. WTG

As for me, this reminds me of a post from a few months ago on the same topic. For myself, I perceive myself one way in the mirror, but much differently in a photo. Don't know why that is, but a truer representation seems to be from a photo of oneself rather than the mirror. Mind you I am not saying, if you are like me, that you are going to LIKE the photo...but guess ya can't have everything!!:ohwell:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thank girls! It seems to be a female perception? I notice no males have comment on this post.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels like this. I will keep pushing until I lose my 40 lbs!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a male :happy: Cynthia, this is a great subject, and it's not a female perception, men are the same.
    It took me 6 months to gradually lose 35 lbs, so I guess that I got used to my thinner self and I can't tell the real difference. Yes, my clothes are bigger, even though it's not the spectacular change I expected. The mirror is not very reliable because you can pose and suitably see only your 'good' angles. I agree, pictures are the best way to compare and they can be shocking. :embarassed:

I spent the last couple of days looking for my before pictures. Unfortunately I only found a few, because I didn't like to have my pictures taken, but I'll look around to find some more. As soon as I manage to collect them I will upload them in photobucket.com and make a before and after collage. Being fat is a place I don't want to go back to and I need the reminders.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! I've lost 70 lbs and back when I'd lost only 20 or 30 or even 50 I was like wow I'm looking good.....now that I am this size all I see is fat fat and more fat. It's soooooo weird, I don't know why.

I wanted to say also I do have days where I think I look great but I find the thinner I get the harder I am getting on myself.