Any pro tips, anyone?

Options
So, I realized only today that I have been working out nonstop for the past, what, 10 days? I do JMs 30 Day Shred in the morning, then lift weights in the afternoon. I have gym days that last for 1.15hrs for thrice a week, and that excludes the shred every morning. I know I have to stop to take a breather, but I somehow feel OC if I do stop. Like, I'd feel that my efforts would just go to waste if I stop and do nothing for the day. I'm not going to the gym today and I'm thinking of doing the shred or not. I'm just so confused with this. Any suggestions, comments (good or bad) will help a lot. :) Thanks

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So the question is "Do I take a rest day?" or "Should I work out every day?"

Rest is a vital part of any workout plan. Working out every day is not a sustainable long term plan. Make your own decision from there.
  • kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Pro-tip-- always listen to DavPul
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    In my experience there's two kinds of tired that need rest:
    1. muscle tired, muscle will build back which takes time
    2. nervous system tired, nervous system got a shock and needs recovery

So don't hit the same muscle day in day out. Muscles need time to recover. Small muscles (arms) recover faster than big muscles (back, legs).

And as to nervous system tired, that happens if you push it to an extreme. Like if you weight-lift to failure too much or if you do high intensity cardio. So don't go to failure on every muscle workout. Probably go to failure once per week, or only on one muscle group per workout. And as for cardio don't do HIIT or plyometrics every day, do some regular medium energy cardio aswell.

Also, if your goal is building muscles don't stay in the gym more than an hour or so. You need to refuel after that eat protein and carbs.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Pro-tip-- always listen to DavPul
    yes. this.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyone who worries about over-training is under-training.