new and need low carb supporters! :D

Options
Hi, I am not new to trying to loose weight, but I am off to a fresh start and am looking for people on a similar life style of low carb to share and support each other! thanks

Replies

• Beavvv
    Beavvv Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Same here! Just started a low carb diet yesterday. I've done WW and calorie reduction a thousand times but usually fudge the numbers or guesstimate with measuring so try to cut carbs out to try something different and not fall into my bad habits.

Good luck! :smile:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do low carb, my maximum is 150g a day, minimum is 40g. I try and keep my protein high and watch my calcium and iron intake closely. Feel free to add me :)
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am eating low carb to help regukate my blood sugar (insulin resistant, reactive hypoglycemia, and pre-diabetic).
    I am trying to keep my carbs under 100g for the day, and maximum of 30g for my largest meal. I'm averaging 75-80g a day and 20g per meal.

Anyone else struggling to get enough calories in with the low carbs?
    I have to drink low carb protein shakes and I'm usually still 200 - 700 calories under my goal.
    Until going low carb, my biggest source of protein was fat free dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese), but it is so high in carbs I've had to restrict what I eat.
  • daxazo
    daxazo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try more fats! Coconut oil, butter, ranch dressing :)

I am eating low carb to help regukate my blood sugar (insulin resistant, reactive hypoglycemia, and pre-diabetic).
    I am trying to keep my carbs under 100g for the day, and maximum of 30g for my largest meal. I'm averaging 75-80g a day and 20g per meal.

Anyone else struggling to get enough calories in with the low carbs?
    I have to drink low carb protein shakes and I'm usually still 200 - 700 calories under my goal.
    Until going low carb, my biggest source of protein was fat free dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese), but it is so high in carbs I've had to restrict what I eat.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic lifestyle here! :) Low carbs are kinda default for me. (except for today, I messed up and drank a coke. Oops.)
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to myfitnesspal or to trying to loose weight. I have been trying to watch what I am eating for a while now, but I when I went to the Dr today it was not such a good visit. Have to take diabetes medicine and test my blood sugar 2 x a day. He says no sweets, no bread, no pasta, no potato, no rice, no fruit until we get this down. I go back in 2 weeks. My blood sugar was 252. So I am going to follow his advice and stick with meat and all the fresh veggies I can eat.

Anyone who is doing low carb can add me if you want, I could use some meal suggestions because a salad with grilled chicken on it is going to get old.
  • denise8986
    denise8986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me also, but I won't be of much help, I have been doing LCHF since last Wednesday and I'm looking for friends.
    and yes chicken with salad is getting old..need to find some easy recipes.
  • Bells89
    Bells89 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not on a low carb diet per se but I have since long switched out high carb stuff for better things since I bloat easily. I did a low carb high fat diet a while ago and I lost a lot of weight but got chest pains from all the fat. I guess now I'm on more of a GI diet. Anyhow... some of my substitutes:

Rather than mashed potatoes we eat mashed cauliflower (boil one bag of frozen cauliflower, put it in the blender with 2 tbsp of butter/low fat sour cream or something else that creams it up, salt, white pepper, and 2 tbsp of grated parmesan. Blend and done!) Tastes just as good, if not better, than mashed potatoes and you can mix anything else in that you like.

Instead of pasta I have switched to Shirataki noodles which come in the form of noodles, fettuccini and macaroni. 40 kcal/(large) serving and almost zero carbs.

I've switched regular rice for brown rice and with meat sometimes we just eat grilled asparagus or roasted bell peppers with a cold sauce.

Also, there are plenty of low carb beers and for other drinks I choose dry white wine (usually sauvignon blanc), or liquor drinks with diet sodas or diet tonic water.

Other good tips are to eat plenty of eggs and egg whites for breakfast (boiled, scrambled, omelets), add some deli turkey and a few slices of cucumber and tomatoes. Spaghetti squash is another great substitute for pasta.

If you're dying for bread there are great breads that have fewer carbs such as finn crisps (crackers) and whole wheat tortillas.

Good luck and feel free to contact me for more tips. I did the LCHF for a long time and like I said, I still stay away from most carbs in moderation. I usually eat around 50g/day without trouble
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat ultra low carb (under 25g a day) if my low carb lifestyle can help feel free to add me. :-)
  • kareeta
    kareeta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I'm Type 1 diabetic and have been trying low carb for a couple of weeks now. Its having a great impact on insulin reduction making it easier for me to manage my condition. i'm just hoping I can sustain it!

My typical food includes, lizzies granola blueberries and greek yoghurt for breakfast but the last two mornings i've had a small slice or two of hovis wholewheat toast which hadn't had a negative effect on me , just gave me a bot of energy for the day. Lunch is poached egg on one slice of wheattoast if I have not had it for breakfast , or a salad. Dinner is yes, same as most people it would seem, chicken oven baked in various ways with a salad.

I'm looking for inspiration for meals too, its quite repetitive at the moment

Thanks
    Karen
  • cinbol
    cinbol Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to myfitnesspal or to trying to loose weight. I have been trying to watch what I am eating for a while now, but I when I went to the Dr today it was not such a good visit. Have to take diabetes medicine and test my blood sugar 2 x a day. He says no sweets, no bread, no pasta, no potato, no rice, no fruit until we get this down. I go back in 2 weeks. My blood sugar was 252. So I am going to follow his advice and stick with meat and all the fresh veggies I can eat.

Anyone who is doing low carb can add me if you want, I could use some meal suggestions because a salad with grilled chicken on it is going to get old.

My blood sugar was no where near as high as yours, but Doc labeled me Insulin Resistant and put me on the Duke University Diet - which is the same way you will be eating ... no "white"; wheat, pasta, potatoes,rice, and anything with "ose" - glucose, sucrose, etc. ( fruits) and of course NO sweets!

It was hard at first with Pizza being my favorite meal, and sweets my next favorite - cake instead of a sandwich - that was me! Lots of empty calories and way too many carbs.

I started eating only what was on my printed sheet and found I dropped to 30 carbs almost instantly! I was told not to look at calories just watch carbs and it has been working great for me. I recently went on a 2 week cruise and only gained 2.5 lbs which I lost my first week back and continue to loose. After the first 3 months I started adding back some carbs - fruits, whole grain bread once in a while and I now have a cheat day once a week where I CAN eat anything I have been craving but find that I often don't - I just don't want it anymore.

Good luck with your new way of eating - I am a lifetime WW member but it was just too easy to make the wrong choices - it's a great program teaching you portion control but for me I had to eliminate certain food groups to get my numbers in line.

It's been 6 months and I feel fabulous - much more energy and no more brain fog (okay well some but I am getting older!)

Cholesterol at the start was 249 total = now 172 - Triglycerides were 181 = now 80 -all with diet and no meds
    Glucose was 114 - now 99
    Even my under-active thyroid is improving and have just lowered those meds again as well with hope of getting off that as well