Running advice

Options
Hi,

I am new to running, I am quite fit through circuit training and I now want to see how fast I can run.

I have done 4 runs so far:

5k = 33mins
5k = 32mins
5k = 31.5mins
3.3k = 20mins (the gym was closing so I did not get to finish, was a bit miffed as it was 10 to the hour!)

Tips for getting faster? I do enjoy pushing myself hard and then walking fast for a while as I enjoy the start / stop buzz (probably from doing circuits), I know you will all scream pace is everything, but if I get the same result and enjoy myself then what does it matter?

Just another point I noticed that my heart rate was 186 when I held the hand rail on slowing down, so it prob was higher. I am 41 and the max HR formula suggested 220 less 41, so 179 for my max?! I would not concern myself with this if I was younger, but is it ok to push myself like this?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Look up speed programs on Runner's World.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    more miles, more miles, more miles!

most of them slow, some of them fast

you can't set a new speed record every time you put on your shoes
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about getting faster. You have to build more muscles in your legs. No way around it. Squats help a lot. There are other exercises but I can't think of them now.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Also this...

Going too fast too soon will:

1. Only discourage you, because eventually you will stop hitting PRs.
    2. Cause injury, thus setting you back further.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am greedy training to set new PB's I agree and yes injury is a good point, I have pretty crap knees anyway. That is why I only run once or twice a month ( yes you laugh!) I keep to circuits the rest of the time as it uses the arms instead of the legs alot. I do lots and lots of squats, but not with heavy weights.
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    Regarding your heartrate - I run with a heart monitor all the time (I'm admittedly a geek about statistics). I have done one run in 7 years (+/-) that had my heartrate significantly above my "max" (more than just 2 or 3 bpm above), and I felt pretty bad - a little bit nauseous - at the end of that run. As you put in more miles and your CV health catches up with the level of fitness that you have from your circuit work, you will probably notice that your max HR comes down into more of a normal max. Having said all that, who knows how accurate the readout was on the gym treadmill. Try a different machine next run, and see what your max is on it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of training programs out there to help you get faster, the first question I would ask is "What do you want to do?" The advice I would give someone who wants to get faster at the 5K is different than I would offer to someone preparing for a marathon. I will say you should get off the dreadmill, running outside is much nicer.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Also this...

Going too fast too soon will:

1. Only discourage you, because eventually you will stop hitting PRs.
    2. Cause injury, thus setting you back further.

This this and this^^^...

...from this 41 year old guy who considers himself in reasonably good condition...

...who is in week three of being mostly sidelined by plantar fasciitis.

Go slower and shorter than you think you should for a longer period of time than you think you should.

Oh, and if you're on a dreadmill, stop. Not entirely (if you don't want to), but take your runs outside for an entirely different (and substantially better) experience.

Good luck.
  • rem10210
    rem10210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of training programs out there to help you get faster, the first question I would ask is "What do you want to do?" The advice I would give someone who wants to get faster at the 5K is different than I would offer to someone preparing for a marathon. I will say you should get off the dreadmill, running outside is much nicer.

This! Figure out what your goals are then get on Runner's World.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do 6 minute miles on interval training days. The key to running fast is not doing it everyday. Ample rend spinning willhelp.st is critical. Also eat before the run to energize yourself. Say an apple with peanut butter. Last but not least good strong leg muscles are a necessity. Squats and spinning will help.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    . I will say you should get off the dreadmill, running outside is much nicer.

THIS!!!!

and sign up for a 5k you might find your time will not be the same as on the treadmill!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    For a treadmill to simulate running in the real world you need to have it at about a 1.5-2% incline. runnersworld.com is a great site and you can find workouts there to strengthen your knees (great magazine too). Those are pretty respectable times you're posting. Try some speed play to build endurance and lower your times. Sprints are a good way to get in an intense workout in a shorter amount of time.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
  • JakeHoyes
    JakeHoyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Incorporating a long run into your running week will help your endurance and up your weekly mileage at the same time. Also, it is important to run a fast, yet manageable workout at least 1 day a week. As for the other days- they are base building days. the more you run, the more your muscles will adapt and become comfortable with this type of abuse. From there, increasing weekly mileage and the intensity of both your base and fast runs is the best way to see results.
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    I would emphasize endurance first, then think about increasing speed through intervals.