I need some advice!

Options
So I started Insanity 2 days ago, I should be doing my 3rd day today. I'm not sure if I should do it today because I'm in extreme muscle pain, so bad that I can hardly walk! I'm the type of person to push through it and continue to exercise anyway. But I've hurt myself doing that and I don't want that to happen again.
So my question is, should I rest today or keep going? Will it make the pain worse if I kept doing it? I really feel that it couldn't get any worse lol

Replies

• JessicaHeathfield
    JessicaHeathfield Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nine2481
    nine2481 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    pain is gain. keep going, you can do it !
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If it's just tight muscles, maybe stretch before and then try doing your workout. Odds are once you get going, the soreness will go away.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I guess you need to be the judge of your own pain, and recognize how you feel.
    Like you, I have done Insanity.

Even with intense muscle pain, I find that my muscles would warm up and loosen up real quick after beginning the warm up set of an Insanity workout. You'll probably pay for it, but realize that you have Cardio Recovery coming up. (You don't really get to "recover", but it is a slower paced workout).
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Warm up and do it the best you can, doing the easier version of each movement. Muscle soreness is only temporary. If you feel sharp pains, that's a different story. When you're old, fat & uncoordinated (like me) you have to power through soreness all the time!
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As the quote on your page says, "Unless you puke, faint or die, KEEP GOING! - Jillian Michaels <3"
  • auburnlady78
    auburnlady78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need to rest then do so.. Maybe going walking and not do the other work outs so that away your not hurting your self so bad. Start slow with your work out's build your self up to the harder work out's. That's what I have had to do.

Good luck
  • msmichydo
    msmichydo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I'd say pushing yourself when you're in pain is not a good way to go; you could essentially risk further injury, making your workout routine worse (not being able to do Insanity for more than just a day, for example).

Your muscles need time to repair themselves!
    Just my two cents. :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I would say rest a day. you sound very sore. better than take a day or two now than 2 weeks later.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Take a day of rest or I believe there is a stretching or yoga part of insanity try doing that instead of an all out workout. Better to rest and continue later than be down and out for longer. I once over did it with my legs and literally could not walk for two days, it took me 5 days on top of that before I gave in and got the most painful massage of my life to get the knots and soreness relieved in my calves and hamstrings. I was still sore for another week after that. I missed two weeks of training because I was ignorant, over confident, and unable to admit that I needed a break.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain sweetheart started last week. You have a few options take some Motrin and work through the pain, It should go away once you start that hellish warmup OR you could just switch the schedule around its a guide not set in stone. The cardio recovery will definitely help out with the sore muscles, it's yoga based (but will also prob make you more sore) OR just take a rest day today and skip it on Sunday. Good luck.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    In the last year I have landed at the doctors on three occasions due to 'pushing through the pain'.

I am currently going to physiotherapy twice a week for the latest muscle strain.....

rest or spin or simply walk it out......

(I rarely take my own advice though - my doctor however is getting tired of me injuring myself)
  • JessicaHeathfield
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!

I feel your pain sweetheart started last week. You have a few options take some Motrin and work through the pain, It should go away once you start that hellish warmup OR you could just switch the schedule around its a guide not set in stone. The cardio recovery will definitely help out with the sore muscles, it's yoga based (but will also prob make you more sore) OR just take a rest day today and skip it on Sunday. Good luck.

I'm going to give the Cardio Recovery a go today, hopefully it's not as "insane" as the one I'm supposed to do today lol. I'll switch the days around so it works out. Thank you for the advice lovely!!! I am really enjoying Insanity so far, hoping to see some good results :) No pain no gain!!
  • chrismpalmer
    Options
    Always a good idea to rest if you're feeling that sort of pain. There is nothing wrong with taking a day off, eating plenty of protein in otherwise light meals (to meet your calorie goals). Let those muscles repair and run back at it the next day.

There is absolutely no reason to risk injury (if the pain is that intense) over a single workout.
  • DENNIS2408
    DENNIS2408 Posts: 2
    Options
    Take time off. It will only make you better.
  • losethehandles
    Options
    I would DO IT. you can go at a different pace, but don't let yourself fall off the wagon. :)
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So I started Insanity 2 days ago, I should be doing my 3rd day today. I'm not sure if I should do it today because I'm in extreme muscle pain, so bad that I can hardly walk! I'm the type of person to push through it and continue to exercise anyway. But I've hurt myself doing that and I don't want that to happen again.
    So my question is, should I rest today or keep going? Will it make the pain worse if I kept doing it? I really feel that it couldn't get any worse lol

You already know the answer. Listen to what your body is saying.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would say rest a day. you sound very sore. better than take a day or two now than 2 weeks later.

This.
  • JessicaHeathfield
    Options
    Well, I ended up doing what I was supposed to do today (Cardio Power & Resistance) but I also did 20 mins on the treadmill and 20 mins of the Insane abs DVD. Time for a hot shower I think!