Help me love poultry

Options
Carnivor0us
Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
I need some good tasting recipes for chicken/turkey. I really love beef and lamb and I eat a lot of meat - probably 2-3 pounds in a week. It's getting expensive, though. Short of fried chicken, I just don't get very excited about most poultry. Does anyone have any tips for making a quick, good-tasting chicken/turkey dish?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have made a great variation on pulled pork using chicken.

Put one sliced onion along the bottom of a crockpot. Pour in half a bottle of BBQ sauce. Add in 6 chicken breast. Sprinkle in chopped garlic and add in another sliced onion. Pour in the rest of the BBQ sauce. Put on low for about 5 hours (you can leave it longer if needed) than take the chicken out and shred with two forks on a plate. Add chicken back into the crockpot and place on high for about an hour. While this isn't a quick meal it takes 2 minutes to prep in the morning and pop into the crockpot so it's ready shortly after you come home. I put it all in the crockpot one morning, left it on low while we were at work and when we got home I quickly shredded it and put it back in on high while I made the sides.

We had it on buns one night. Than we used leftovers for stir fry, wraps, on top of salad.

Chicken is also great baked and added to wraps or salads.

One of my favourite ways to have chicken before was marinade it (sliced or whole chicken breast) in one part vinegar and one part hot sauce for about half an hour. Pour it all into a pan (if sliced) or into the oven if you keep it whole and cook. Really good! One thing I really miss now that I don't eat meat.

You do the same with turkey I'm sure. When I used to buy turkey breast I would sprinkle spices on the outside and bake it. Once cooked and cooled I would either shred it or slice it for sandwiches.

What about adding in pork as well? Not sure where you are but things like pork chops are super cheap where I am and something my husband eats often to save some money.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'll squirt lime juice into a baggie of chicken and sprinkle chili powder in and let it soak in it all day before I cook it. Yum.

ETA: Also sometimes I'll put one of those laughing cow wedges on my chicken and roll it up like chicken cordon bleu and bake it in the oven.
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll squirt lime juice into a baggie of chicken and sprinkle chili powder in and let it soak in it all day before I cook it. Yum.

ETA: Also sometimes I'll put one of those laughing cow wedges on my chicken and roll it up like chicken cordon bleu and bake it in the oven.

I'm going to try this one! Sounds yummy.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Those are wonderful tips, thank you.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I have made a great variation on pulled pork using chicken.

Put one sliced onion along the bottom of a crockpot. Pour in half a bottle of BBQ sauce. Add in 6 chicken breast. Sprinkle in chopped garlic and add in another sliced onion. Pour in the rest of the BBQ sauce. Put on low for about 5 hours (you can leave it longer if needed) than take the chicken out and shred with two forks on a plate. Add chicken back into the crockpot and place on high for about an hour. While this isn't a quick meal it takes 2 minutes to prep in the morning and pop into the crockpot so it's ready shortly after you come home. I put it all in the crockpot one morning, left it on low while we were at work and when we got home I quickly shredded it and put it back in on high while I made the sides.

We had it on buns one night. Than we used leftovers for stir fry, wraps, on top of salad.

Chicken is also great baked and added to wraps or salads.

One of my favourite ways to have chicken before was marinade it (sliced or whole chicken breast) in one part vinegar and one part hot sauce for about half an hour. Pour it all into a pan (if sliced) or into the oven if you keep it whole and cook. Really good! One thing I really miss now that I don't eat meat.

You do the same with turkey I'm sure. When I used to buy turkey breast I would sprinkle spices on the outside and bake it. Once cooked and cooled I would either shred it or slice it for sandwiches.

What about adding in pork as well? Not sure where you are but things like pork chops are super cheap where I am and something my husband eats often to save some money.

Thank you for the wonderful recipe. I will try it this week I think. :happy: You know, I always forget about pork. It's kinda like chicken for me, I just don't consider it exciting :(
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You can dress up pork. Pulled pork is amazing.. can be cheap and is a great meal for the crockpot while you are work or allowing it to simmer away while you relax on a weekend.

A recipe for pork... I buy the butterfly cut chops for my husband. I soak toothpicks in water for a few hours to use to close them. In the middle I put in cheese, chopped up broccoli and some spices. Fold it over, toothpick to hold and bake. You can do the same with chicken.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I personally like chicken breast grilled over mesquite myself...
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    4 Chicken portions
    2 tablespoon(s) Parmasan cheese
    2 teaspoon(s) Garam masala
    1 teaspoon(s) Garlic salt
    0.5 teaspoon(s) Salt
    1 teaspoon(s) Black pepper
    0.5 teaspoon(s) Ground Arrowroot
    10 grams Lard

Put the lard (I eat Primal so lard is my fat of choice, you can change this to your own choice) into a frying pan, mix all of the other ingredients except the chicken well. Coat each piece of chicken in the mix and fry. Once the coating is crispy turn the heat down and let the chicken cook all the way through. - Enjoy :-)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Egg-washed, dredged in panko or bread crumbs + grated parmesan, sprayed lightly with olive oil spray and baked in the oven for about 25 minutes. It's good as is, or you can top with basil, marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella, stick it under the broiler to melt the cheese, and serve with pasta for a lighter chicken parmesan.

We had this on Sunday, but instead of with pasta, I made flaky biscuits and we had chicken parmesan biscuits for breakfast. It was awesome.

You could always slice up the chicken and saute it with onions, peppers, and soy sauce and do a stir fry. I like to take day-old rice and saute it with hot sesame oil, add an egg or two to scramble in it while it's cooking, then add it all together.

If you have leftover cubed or shredded cooked chicken, you can make a chicken pot pie by sauteing some onion and garlic, then adding cream of chicken soup (store-bought or homemade, it's not hard to make) and a bit of water to get the thickness you want. Add the chicken in plus a bag of frozen peas and carrots, then top it with cut-up biscuits. Push the biscuits down in the soup mixture a bit, then bake it for about 35-40 minutes or until the tops are browned. I sprayed the tops of the biscuits with some butter-flavored spray to brown them but I don't think you have to. They come out like little dumplings :D:D **I used my dutch oven, so this was a one-pot meal.

We're doing chicken burritos tonight with chipotle refried beans, a little cheese, and leftover chicken. Roll it up in a tortilla or a wrap and microwave it. I ate mine with sri racha.

http://designwinedine.com/2011/10/24/white-chicken-chili/ <- I've made this before, but I don't use cream of chicken soup ... I use two jars of salsa. I also add jalapenos, but you can adjust the heat level by leaving them out. We like it spicy.

* http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-chicken-chili/ <- mine's actually more like this.

http://www.skinnytaste.com has a lot of awesome recipes, too.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I am really lazy.

One way my lazy *kitten* loves chicken is to put leg quarters (cause I'm also a cheap *kitten*) in a pan, rub the outsides with ginger, garlic, and cayenne, squirt lemon juice and soy sauce over the whole thing, and roast it until it's done. I turn them over midway.