How can I eat 90 grams of protein in a day when I'm full?

Options
I recently had the gastric bypass surgery 2 months ago.
My calorie intake is between 600-800 calories a day.
My dr told me I need to have 90-100 grams of protein a day, but every time I eat or drink anything with a lot of protien, I find that I'm not hungry for the rest of the day. So I've only been taking in about 30-40 grams. I've started losing my hair and my incisions from surgery, have still not healed all the way....which I'm told is because of low protein.
My question is- r there any high protein foods that r not that filling?

Replies

• the_Rooster
    the_Rooster Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eggs are high protein and don't fill me up at all!
  • Jas46219
    Jas46219 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try protein shakes .... add to lowfat milk of some type (dairy, sow, almond, etc). Depending on the type you get you can really pack in the protein
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I generally like a scoop of body fortress whey isolate (vanilla for me, haven't tried the others, 30 g protein) with 1 c almond milk, and a ton of ice. I sometimes blend in berries (frozen or fress). It's about 160 calories and 31 g of protein, if you use about a cup of ice, its got the consistency of ice cream, but less rich. I always eat it on work out days!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    chicken, beef jerkey, eggs, whey protein.

1g of protein is 4 calories, so if you could eat pure protein, at 100g you would have 400 calories. Food for thought.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I generally like a scoop of body fortress whey isolate (vanilla for me, haven't tried the others, 30 g protein) with 1 c almond milk, and a ton of ice. I sometimes blend in berries (frozen or fress). It's about 160 calories and 31 g of protein, if you use about a cup of ice, its got the consistency of ice cream, but less rich. I always eat it on work out days!

This is good advice. If you can find a protein powder that tastes good in water (I suggest optimum nutrition vanilla), then that would be even better. The idea is to get as much protein as possible, with as little fat as possible. That will help avoid that over-full feeling.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    try protein shakes .... add to lowfat milk of some type (dairy, sow, almond, etc). Depending on the type you get you can really pack in the protein

I was going to say the same thing - but I add water and peanut butter to mine.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You can make a huge omelet for breakfast with a bunch of egg whites. Another nice high-protein snack is cottage cheese. And if you're into soy, you can snack on edamame.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Low fat dry pressed cottage cheese, chicken, protein powder :)
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can make a huge omelet for breakfast with a bunch of egg whites. Another nice high-protein snack is cottage cheese. And if you're into soy, you can snack on edamame.

Yes! actually a great breakfast replacement (but I eat 1/2 of it as a between meal snack 2x/day on weight lifting days) is 1 cup low fat or fat free cottage cheese mixed with one scoop of vanilla protein powder, and 1/4-1/2 cup berries. About 290 calories, 60g protein!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I had VSG surgery two months ago. Early on I found it easy to drink a protein shake mixed with a sugar free iced tea or sugar free juice. It was a lot easier to go down than a shake mixed with a milk product.

One scoop of protein powder in a cup of coffee is another great way to add protein. I use isopure or jay robb which mix really thin so you don't even notice the protein powder in the coffee.

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese don't stick with me for very long and have a lot of protein.

When you're eating your meals, remember to eat your protein FIRST. Avoid filling up on other things until you've met your protein goal. You can make your protein goal in 400 calories.. and you still have 200-400 calories for your carbs and fats.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor that you need help from a nutritionist. You need professional help. This is a serious medical problem. MFP friends are NOT doctors. I am a retired RN, and I won't try to advise you on something this serious.

The fact that you had a gastric surgery puts you into a whole different ball park than most of the folks on MFP. You sought out help to speed up your weight loss; but with that decision, you also took on the risks and responsibility of that decision. Your complications are not to be ignored, and you aren't going to find a quick fix here.

Get yourself to your doctor ASAP...please, Sis. The fact that you are losing hair and your incision is not healing should be enough to make it clear that something needs fixing right now. Your child need a healthy mom, not a sick one.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I know with the weight loss surgey that you can probably not eat very much at a time and alot of what you have is liquid so I am going to be another person who is saying protein powder! Body fortress is def a high protein choice. 30g but I will say that almond milk might not be the best mixer because it is thick and will make it even harder to get more in. I would say mix it with non fat milk or a lactose free milk.. something thinner and add vanilla greek yogurt. that is also high in protein. so in the end it will be a bit thicker but have more protein over all. 1/2 cup water or milk (really cold) 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt and 1 scoop protein powder. should come in around 40 grams have 2 of them a day and you will be in business! :) Good luck!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Get yourself to your doctor ASAP...please, Sis. The fact that you are losing hair and your incision is not healing should be enough to make it clear that something needs fixing right now. Your child need a healthy mom, not a sick one.
    [/quote]

AGREED!!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would try protein shakes. Might be the easiest way to get a lot of protein. Do you see a dietician? If so, I would talk to them also, they should have ideas for you.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk and PB in my protein shakes. Add protein with protein powder!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Tuna has 20 grams of protein in a tiny 4 oz can, 100 cal can. It may help with the "space" issue in your stomach. Also, I know you need real food but I've found that Quest protein bars are amazing and arent full of a bunch of artificial stuff. Less than 200 calories, pretty small, 20 grams of protein, about 17 grams of fiber, 1 gr sugar. They make a good dessert when popped in the microwave for 10 seconds :)
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I notice I'm not getting enough protein my go to choices are:
    Protein shakes mixed with soy or cow's milk (different kinds of protein from each source)
    Chicken breast
    Salmon
    Shrimp (low calories and high protein)
    Greek yogurt (The only brand I like is Yoplait... 10g in most flavors, 13g in the key lime)
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Has anyone replaced a meal with a protien shake? I would love to replace lunch. I hate trying to figure out what to eat for lunch every day.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    A spoonfull of peanut butter?
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor that you need help from a nutritionist. You need professional help. This is a serious medical problem. MFP friends are NOT doctors. I am a retired RN, and I won't try to advise you on something this serious.

The fact that you had a gastric surgery puts you into a whole different ball park than most of the folks on MFP. You sought out help to speed up your weight loss; but with that decision, you also took on the risks and responsibility of that decision. Your complications are not to be ignored, and you aren't going to find a quick fix here.

^^This!