What do you use your Food Proccesser for?? :)

Options
HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
Would love some ideas on what you all use your Food Processers for!:drinker:

I know I can make homemade pita bread and pesto.........what else, well veggies, sure, but what other magic tricks does it do?:tongue:

Becca:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    hummus, peanut butter, roasted eggplant dip, white bean dip..... LOTS of stuff!
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I make hummus and mix my dough for biscuits, scones, and flatbreads. I also just use it to chop up stuff like onions, jalapenos, bell peppers, etc, when I'm in a hurry and don't want to spend a lot of time cutting. It's also good for soups (roasted tomato soup!...yummm!) I just used mine today to make homemade whole wheat bread crumbs. I guess I use it a lot more than I realized! LOL
  • tselmorrah
    tselmorrah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make salsa, particularly at this time of year. I also like making peach salsa.

Bruschetta's another possibility, gazpacho...

You can do all kinds of bean dips including hummous and black beans.
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I use it to make guacamole, mashed cauliflower taste similar to mashed potatoes not joking, I use it to get the texture smaller of my spagetti sauce, ground chicken and ground italian sausage.

Mashed Cauliflower:

Ingredients:Servings:
    4 Servings Size
    1 large cauliflower
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (spray to taste)
    1% low-fat milk, (I use 2% milk)
    Also I add a tad bit of garlic
    Total Prep time should take about 15 mins.

First I remove the florets and steam then I steam in the microwave buntil it is very soft for the entire head usually takes 7 mins plus and then I add a little milk first at the bottom of the food processer and then a little cauliflower then a little more milk and so on then I pulse until fluffy last I season with butter, salt, garlic and pepper to taste.
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use it to mix frozen yogurt.

1 cup plain yogurt
    1 bag frozen berries (the organic/no sugar added kind)
    1 Tbsp honey

blend together VERY well. Separate into reusable ziplock containers and freeze. This makes 2-3, depending on the portions.

SO good!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I should really get a food processor....any suggestions on a brand, model, feature, etc?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I just made this for the first time! Sooooo good!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/109790-chocolate-avocado-pudding
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I should really get a food processor....any suggestions on a brand, model, feature, etc?
    I haven't opened my box yet Diane, so I can't give you a true idea yet. This was definitely an impulse purchase as it was a great clearance price. It's not a HUGE full size one which I knew I didn't one of those.

This is a B & D (black and decker) I'm gonna do some Googling to see how it fairs before I decide to keep it. It was regularly like $89 clearanced for $39, sorta hard to pass up. lol Besides I picked up a George foreman grill today and it was in the same aisle so there ya go! They got me as I spun around.

That frozen yogurt sounds YUM, never ever thought to make that!

Oh, yes Hummus, that's right. :love:

Great ideas everyone, keep em' comin!! :)
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i just bought the 9c kitchenaid food processor and it totally kicks *kitten*.

i had finally burnt out my old food processor a few months ago and had to replace it, so i replaced it with the kitchenaid. i use it for everything, but especially to make sauces

i make my own mayonnaise, pesto, salad dressings

dips like guac, hummus, other bean dips

dough for artisan breads, pasta, quickbreads

i use it to slice and/or grate vegetables and cheeses

pretty much i use it every day.
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

i use it to slice and/or grate vegetables and cheeses

pretty much i use it every day.

I've had mine for years and never used it for shredding cheese yet. The blade is still in it's original plastic! LOL....I always end up using the mandoline or cheese grater for veggies and cheese. I guess I just forget!
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    I have two. One holds about 4 cups. I use it weekly for a frozen banana "ice cream" treat. The other one is 14 cups. I use it for everything else. Today I'll be using it for watermelon sorbet.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I am partial to cuisinArt products and love my food processor!

I made baby food with it when my daughter was an infant. I make pizza dough in it, tomatilla salsa, cookie dough. I basically use it over a blender too. Its the one kitchen gadget I couldn't live without! Meatball mix....yeah. Evereything lol!
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I use mine for black bean brownies.

Buy a box of brownie mix and one can of black beans. Process your beans (undrained) until they are a gooey consistency, and add them to the brownie mix. Bake per box directions. :flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I also use mine to make bread crumbs and cookie crumbs for deserts. I use 100 calorie packs of cookies and I can;t beleive its not butter to bind for my sugar free jello cheesecake greek yogurt desserts. I use it to chop of jalepenos for salsa and I make fresh herb spreads from chives, thyme, savory, sage and rosemary in my garden. Have fun.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Uh oh, looks like I shoulda taken the time to check out the reviews on the one I purchased before buying it. Really lousy reviews on the brand and model I got. Also the price online is about what I paid so the stores regular price must have been greatly inflated to be clearanced out at what now looks to be regular price. Ah well, ya live & learn right :) Least I hadn't opened the box and put it all together before I found out this info.

I'll return it over the weekend and that will be that. What I had actually been thinking of buying was what others on MFP had talked about being a 'mini food processer' can anyone shed any light on this for me? I saw alot of choppers at the store near the the one I bought but not sure they would handle sorbets, humus, pita bread, pesto etc. Those are likely what I'd like to be doing with a mini one.

A chopper is NOT the same as a food processer, correct? sorry, if that sounds like an ignorant :blushing: question, the guy helping me told me he thought it was, I smiled and said thanks, I'l let you know if I need any more help.

Can anyone vouch for a mini version that they have had success with?
    Thanks Gang for any info:flowerforyou:

I just don't think at this time a full size one would be something I would actually need but a blender just doesn't do it for the type of foods I want to make up above.
    Becca

Edited for leaving out letters. lol
  • rjadams
    Options
    I have a very small Cuisinart one. I love it. I bought it thru Amazon.com
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I have a very small Cuisinart one. I love it. I bought it thru Amazon.com
    Could you give me a few details, like cup size so I can look it up to take a peek? Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    Options
    I think it is 4 cup. if go to amazon and put mini food processor you will a bunch of different colors the cuisinart comes in.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I think it is 4 cup. if go to amazon and put mini food processor you will a bunch of different colors the cuisinart comes in.
    Thanks! :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have a Kitchen Aid, have had it since I got married over 10 years ago and it is still working today.

The thing I use it for the most is slicing, it makes the perfect sliced chicken for salads, also peppers, onions, mushrooms, for fajitas.