Sluggish Thyroid and CLA'S?

Options
I had my thyriod tested back in December and my TSH was at 3.0. It was tested again two weeks ago and is at 5.1. My doctor suggested we go about 6 weeks and then retest before putting me on Synthroid. I have been doing some research, and asked her about CLA's. She said it couldn't hurt to try. Has anyone taken CLA'S for a sluggish thyroid? And if so, did it rebalance itself?
I hate the idea of being on medicine for the rest of my life...if I can help readjust this without lifelong meds I would be so happy. Anyone have a similiar situation?

Replies

• EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've taken CLA, but not for my thyroid. I will say, though, that while taking it, I was able to decrease my Synthroid dosage, not to mention the fact that my belly fat took a huge hit, which is abnormal for me (since it has always been the last to go). I just recently started taking it again.
  • Tjlewis3
    Tjlewis3 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have had hypothyrodism since I was 6 months old. I am now 48 years old. I've never heard of CLA's? What are they? My doctor won't take any suggestions from me when I tell him about what I've read or researched. The one I am seeing now seemed a little insulted when I did some of my own research on what could make my thyroid meds work better (like taking Selenium to boost the effectiveness of the meds) or if I tell him that my meds just don't seem like the right dosage because I have the same symptoms, that nothing is improving especially my weight but even other stuff.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've taken CLA, but not for my thyroid. I will say, though, that while taking it, I was able to decrease my Synthroid dosage, not to mention the fact that my belly fat took a huge hit, which is abnormal for me (since it has always been the last to go). I just recently started taking it again.

Thanks for the info. How long do you take it for?
  • Acquiescent74
    Acquiescent74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How long before you saw results with the belly fat lost - while takling the CLA? Were you taking the max dosage of 4 pills a day?