advice on my diet

rohsniper
rohsniper Posts: 5
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hey, my name is mike and I been with MFP for only 1 week now, but I'm sure i dont have to tell everyone that seeing results asap is kinda important in the beginning. My diet is public so i was wondering if anyone could kinda let me know if im doing well and maybe give some constructive criticism to help me along.

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    I just took a look at it, first off POP HAS GOT TO GO. If your serious about the weight loss get rid of the pop, beer, and fast food. Just because you are staying in your calorie range , your food selections are pretty horrible. Try adding some fruit and veggies and lean meats and whole grain carbs. Take a look at others diaries if you need help thinking of foods to select. Best of luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Hey man - welcome to MFP! I took a glance at your food diary, and here's a few things:

-Cut out the McDonalds! I know fast food is tasty, and it may even fit into your calories, but it's really bad for you. Lots of sodium and bad fats.

-Cut out the soda - very bad for you, lots of empty calories.

-Cut out as much processed food as possible (Yoohoo's, hamburger helper, etc.) - these tend to be higher in sodium and have a lot of preservatives that just aren't very good for us.

Basically, you should be getting most of your calories from fresh fruits/veggies, lean meats, beans (legumes), nuts (for healthy fat) and whole, unprocessed grains (such as traditional oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, etc.). A little bit of processed food (especially when it's food like whole grain breads, healthy fruit/nut bars (like Lara bars) and other such items) isn't bad, but too much and it can make weight loss more difficult. I didn't see much in the way of fresh fruits/veggies in your diet, so that may be a good place to start.

My food diary's public, so feel free to take a look. Granted, you'd need more calories than me, but you can get a picture of what type of foods I'm eating.

Good Luck, and welcome!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    I agree with Bella. That fast food is not going to help you. If you are serious about losing weight, you need to be serious about getting the best food in you. Also, if you want some quick results, I would go in to goals and change your ratio of protein/carb/fat to 50/30/20. I wouldn't do this for longer than 2 or 3 weeks before I switch to a 40/40/20 which you can stay on for a longer term. What exercise are you doing? Add me as a friend and you can message me as well. I commend you for asking for help, being honest, and opening up your diary. You can check mine out too.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Pretty much what they said. You seem to be getting most of your meals from fast food, and that is a recipie for diaster. Add Soduim to your tracking, you can do that through the Food tab, settings. That will show you how much sodium you are intaking everyday, and I bet it is through the roof. Cut out the fried, cut out the fast food, cut out the beer and yoohoo, the french fries, and the hot dogs. I would also be careful of the protien shakes, while I have a meal replacement shake for breakfast, that is for convenience, not for extra protien. I see NO fruits and veggies. Add those, they will be the key.
    And drink water!!!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Mike mike.....
    do you remember basic health class? that triangle thing....?

and one more MAJOR no-no on your part....2 glasses of water a day??? What's up with that?!

HALF YOUR WEIGHT IN OUNCES OF WATER A DAY, PLUS ADDITIONAL FOR WORKOUTS!

Welcome Newbie:flowerforyou:
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Oh, and one more thing, make sure you are tracking everything you eat. Do you eat the chicken breast plain? How do you cook it? In oil? On the grill? Everything you cook with needs to be tracked as well, those are calories too. I don't know what your goals are, but 2700 calories is a lot, unless you are wanting to maintain (though I also don't know your weight.) Let us know your goals, and we can help with that too. Also log your exercise!
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Another thing to get rid of is the 2% milk and go with non fat milk. Regular peanut butter has way too much fat. I LOVE peanut butter and just found a health food store that grinds their own butter from fresh peanuts without the added sugar and sodium! However, I heard that almond butter is better...it has less sugar and fat than peanut butter. I have yet to try it though.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    My first impression: you've got to be starving at the end of the day! It seems to me that you eat a lot of high-fat (= high-calorie) foods that don't deliver a ton of fiber and vitamin/minerals for their calorie content. I'm assuming this is because you're busy--I know it's tough to make lunch/supper from scratch every day when you're already pressed for time.

What's worked for me (lost 2.5 lbs in my first week of MFP) is eating *tons* of fresh veggies, which have fiber and a lot of vitamins and minerals for relatively few calories. I also tried to make sure that I balanced my carb/fat intake (specifically, don't go over on one and be really far under on the other), and I pretty much ignored my protein goal because protein is filling and necessary to build fat-burning muscles. Using these guidelines I found that I wasn't always hungry (although some days the munchies took over) and the weight really came off quickly.

With respect to time (or lack thereof), I almost always make my lunch before bed (if I'm working day shifts) and pack my supper (for late shifts) after I've had a good balanced breakfast (so I'm not hungry while I pack food). Personally, I'd recommend upping the amount of veggies/fruits/lean protein in your diet and cutting out most (if not all) processed foods because they aren't good bang for your calorie buck. You can always make your own breakfast wraps (I think I saw a few chicken wraps in your diary--I love chicken wraps!) and other "on the go" foods so when you're busy (or don't feel like cooking) you don't resort to fast food.

Good luck with your weight loss!!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    My diary is open as well even though my message to you were private. I am a vegetarian but you can add meat into the meal plan.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Hi Mike and welcome to the site! Congratulations for making the first step here. There is so much help, support and community here on this site that will benefit your journey. I understand changing your food habits can be difficult, but little changes over time help drastically at making a change for a healthier lifestyle. I find accountability for my intakes are what helps me stay on track. Just knowing what goes in is beneficial for me makes a healthy lifestyle so much easier for me to peruse. Good luck and use this site and lean on these people here. They know what your going through!
  • I'd say your daily fat goal is a little high. Not sure what your stats are but I'm on a 3300 Cal/day diet and I take in about 70 g of fat a day.
    If your goal is to lose weight, try setting your goals to 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat.

What kind of exercise program are you on?

But just like everyone else says: fast food, soda, 2% milk... all that is no good. Go buy some almond milk and try that. The vanilla is really good. I get the unsweetened kind, and mix it with one scoop of whey protein every morning and take that to work with me.
    For breakfast though, 10 grapes isn't enough if you plan on exercising. Egg whites, turkey bacon, whole wheat toast are all good. And also, pick up some organic natural peanut butter. mmm that stuff is good, no oil or preservatives. Just good ol' peanuts.

Hope that helped!
  • rohsniper
    I wanna thank everyone for their posts and great advice. I'm just now realizing that no one can see my stats ... I'm 6ft and weigh in at 325 lbs as of today I guess that is why my calories are so high. Also I walk on the tread mill pretty much every day and the last three I have even started running again for 100 to 200 yards at a time. I just started a weight program which will be 6 days weekly alternating heavy weight low reps with lighter weight heavy reps. Fast food is a tough guy to shake because i am a fulltime student in college and work there as well, but i am working on it . actually before I got tired of being stuck in this rutt i used to eat out almost exclusively which is why i gained so much im pretty sure. I am definatly trying to address these issues and I am so grateful for any helpfull advice.
  • rohsniper
    thank you for the welcome and thank you for taking the time to review my diary. The eating out has been hard to kick if you guys would have seen the eating out and foods i was eating you would have passed out. this is for me my first earnest attempts to pull back the reins. so i will keep after it and take all your advice and try to continue to make improvments
  • rohsniper
    Summerblunden: the chicken is Tysons precooked chicken breasts i only use the microwave to heat them up and then eat them either plain or with some strawberrys seasoning on them. And i use them in my chicken wraps also to save time and effort the package shows basically the same fat/protien as the raw chicken i was taking way too long to cook before(which causeded me to eat out based on time restraints). I honestly dont cook anything that i have to add oil to. I most the time will choose to grill but that is only when i have the time.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    It's hard to quit cold turkey, in fact my husband and I will still go get some In N Out as a treat once a month or every two months (protein style, by the way, and no fries). I remember being in college and eating crappy too. And then I had my twins and I learned that I had to pack my own food for school. It sounds like you are working on that with the chicken breasts maybe. I would focus on things that are easy to take with you. I pack my husband's breakfast and lunch for him to take to work (he works in a school district). He is eating about 3000 calories a day to gain weight (I know) healthily, so I pack something like the following for him:

whole wheat tortilla with lowfat shredded cheese and 2 slice deli turkey (I buy no nitrites), an apple, a tablespoon of peanut butter, 2 string cheese sticks, a protein shake made with 1% milk, a container of baby carrots, and two sandwiches made with sandwich thins (100 cal each) and a Morningstar Griller each. It doesn't take long in the morning to get it all ready.
  • mmm In & Out haha my guilty pleasure. Haven't had it in forever. I love it but I completely stopped eating any and all fast food. I just told my girlfriend the other day though that I'd like to go out and eat once a month. I'm thinking texas roadhouse so I can get a good steak.

I also eat 3000+ calories a day so I always have to take food with me everywhere I go.
    I eat every couple hours, it gets kind of annoying because I'm ALWAYS hungry but lately I've added more supplements to my diet and that helps with hunger a little bit.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Hey Mike, welcome to MFP!

First of all, I don't know why you got ragged on so hard about the pop and "empty calories" since you're drinking diet (which has no calories). I realize diet pop is no where near being a healthy substance but it's a treat for me and seeing as I don't eat much candy or junk food, I feel completely justified having some 0-calorie Coke Zero whenever I darn well please :)

I agree with everyone that it does seem like there's a lot of fast food going on and although cooking your own meals is ideal, I realize it's not completely realistic for everyone and sometimes "good enough" is, well, good enough. Try going for the salads with a vinaigrette dressing (I bet two would fill you up and still be well within your calorie range) or a side salad and grilled chicken sandwich. The baked potato and chili are decent options at Wendy's. Subway is great, big thumbs up on that choice, lots of healthy options there. Otherwise consider hitting your local grocery store for lunch, lots of them have wraps and salads and marinated veggies.

It's great that you're asking for advice, and I think the important thing to remember here is that you're working towards overall health, towards feeling good! Once you get used to making some healthier choices, you'll start to realize how much better and more energetic you'll feel and it will make the less healthy choices seem less appealing. Your diet now is probably quite similar to many of us when we first joined MFP, and it takes time to make lifestyle changes. When I first came here I was consuming 1000+ calories just in wine many days and then gorging on junk food (pizza, chips, burgers, anything with cheeeese) to top it off. Now I eat a mostly vegan diet, 6-8 servings of veggies a day, no alcohol, started exercising, recently quit smoking.....total lifestyle change, one that I could not have imagined 6 months ago! So take your time, ease into it, do what is realistic and what works for you and what makes you feel good and healthy! Best of luck
  • Good point, bluelikejazz, thanks for bringing that up.
    Carl's JR. has some really good salads. The cranberry apple walnut salad is a personal favorite of mine.
    230 calories, 22 g carbs, 25 g protein, 15 g fat.
    And very filling. Subway is also good, just make sure you get wheat bread or even the flat bread (haven't tried that but I'm sure it's good)
    And it's probably best to leave out the cheese and ask for light mayo. That's what I do anyways.
    And as far as soda goes, if you feel like drinking one, regular soda is actually the healthier option rather than diet. While diet may have zero calories, and sugar, and all that.. artificial sweeteners are all around bad for the body. Especially the sweetener aspartame, which is found in most diet sodas. I could go on and on but there's plenty of articles on the internet explaining how aspartame has been linked to health problems.
    Not to mention there has been NO proof researched that diet soda can actually help you lose weight.
    I prefer to always just stick with H2O. Cheap, natural, hydrating, doesn't get any better than water.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Mike, I can understand having no time. I also work and a student and now adding working out to that mix, there isnt much time, i understand that! I take time at night before I go to bed to put all my food together for the next day. If I didnt do this, I am sure I would still be eating pretty crappy! I still eat out once in a while when I am running super late and dont have any other food on me, but I try to keep it to a minimum! Good luck :-)
This discussion has been closed.