I see so many people on here losing 100+ lbs within a year!

Options
I know that everybody has a different metabolism, but what is it that y'all do to lose 100+ lbs in less then a year. I started my lifestyle change close to a month ago and have lost only 4 lbs so far (260 to 256, biggest I've ever been). I want to get down to 160 by December or January. I cut out soda, white starches (bread, rice, cereals, etc), Gatorade and other athletic performance drinks that have a lot of sugar, dark meats and much more completely. I stick to only water with the occasional milk that is in my cereal, lol. I am beginning a gym membership soon. Please, if anyone has advice on how to burn calories quickly and lose weight quickly, I would love it! My exercises so far consist of walking and Zumba until I start my new gym membership. Thanks for any Advice!

Replies

• frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Mine has been over a few years. And I am totally okay with that although I wish it would pickup now. :) What I keep telling myself is that I've made this a lifestyle and prove that I can keep it off for a few years instead of losing it quickly and gaining it back quickly. Although sometimes I really wish that I could have lost it all quickly! It's hard work for me.
  • roxy_babya2
    roxy_babya2 Posts: 31
    Options
    It has been hard work for me too! I am fully committed this time though. Last year I was 210 and losing but then my bf and I got back together and I kept eating junk food with him (he has a high metabolism and stays skinny, lucky, lol). It is my own fault though, I should have just said no and kept eating healthy but my judgement go the best of me. Last month, I looked and myself in the mirror long and hard and I told myself I couldn't be unhealthy anymore. My anxiety and depression are too high and my medical problems will only get worse if I don't do something about it. So for the last month, I have been eating 1200 calories a day and walking and doing Zumba. I plan to work out even more. I eat half of my exercise calories back as well. I am in this for the long haul! I appreciate anymore advice as well! Thanks!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It is coming off fairly slowly for me...averaging around 7 pounds per month. I exercise 5-6 days per week for an hour each time (interval training, water jogging, Zumba). But on the advice of my trainer I eat about 1900-2000 calories per day. Since I still have almost 100 lbs to lose I would not want to be on really low calories now. Getting the weight off fat would be awesome, but my goal is to be able to feel good while losing and keep it off afterwards. The feel good part is successful so far.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Whoops..."fast"not"fat". Dang autocorrect
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with how you do it, you can end up losing a lot of muscle mass. Try adding a little resistance or strength training to make sure most of those pounds you lose are actual fat and not muscle. Good luck . :D
  • FallynAngyl
    FallynAngyl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in similar situation as you, got a good 100lbs to go down,
    i don't care how long it takes, so long as it DOES happen.
    cutting starches and sugar drinks is a big step, i'm a coca cola addict!
    (two 600ml bottles a day down from 2L in cans)
    Good Luck!
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started by just walking and watching what I eat. I cut out pop, fast food, and alcohol immediately. I exercise 6-7 days a week and have added aerobics with resistance training and am starting to introduce some jogging. I have set small goals along the way to entice me to workout really hard. Those small goals have been my salvation. I am now only 5.5 from my initial final goal...and the prize is a plane ticket from my dad! That's some big motivation to me!

Be careful about losing really fast. It has to be maintainable. I tried this once before and gained it all back and then some more because I wasn't willing to be consistent with exercise. I refuse to fall back to my old ways. Good luck to you! I know you can do it, you seem so determined!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Speed of loss really depends on a number of factors. Age, sex, height and activity level all play a part. Even the healthiest of foods in large quantities can be counterproductive; likewise, cutting your calories too far can slow your progress somewhat as well. The main thing is to stay committed to it and if what you are doing does not yield the results you desire (within healthy parameters), change something. You can do this... whether it takes one year or three... Slow weight loss is more likely to be lasting weight loss... Also, it is healthier. Last year, I had a friend who was losing weight at a phenomenal rate... Like 20 lbs per month... Unfortunately, he was online one day and his wife was posting in his stead the next (he had died of a heart attack overnight)... Balance in all things. Appreciate the progress that you make and stay with it... Best wishes.
  • roxy_babya2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will most definitely do some more strength and resistance exercises too! I appreciate all of the advice dearly!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you are only eating 1200 calories a day. This may be too low. Eating too few calories can stall your weight loss as much as eating too many calories. There is a good chance that you would lose more with eating 1600-1800 calories a day and implementing a good exercise routine that has both cardio and strength in it.
  • roxy_babya2
    Options
    Speed of loss really depends on a number of factors. Age, sex, height and activity level all play a part. Even the healthiest of foods in large quantities can be counterproductive; likewise, cutting your calories too far can slow your progress somewhat as well. The main thing is to stay committed to it and if what you are doing does not yield the results you desire (within healthy parameters), change something. You can do this... whether it takes one year or three... Slow weight loss is more likely to be lasting weight loss... Also, it is healthier. Last year, I had a friend who was losing weight at a phenomenal rate... Like 20 lbs per month... Unfortunately, he was online one day and his wife was posting in his stead the next (he had died of a heart attack overnight)... Balance in all things. Appreciate the progress that you make and stay with it... Best wishes.

Thank you so very much! I appreciate it! : ) I am sorry about your friend too.
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 pounds out of a total of 80 (35 to go), but it has taken me 8 years so far. Occasionally I get frustrated at the slow pace, but I do appreciate that it has been a very sustainable loss. I also have not yet had too many problems with sagging skin (other than expected age-related sag and baby sag.) I've lit the fire a bit under the last 35, but so far my body is stubbornly not cooperating with the extra running and calorie counting. For me, though, I have to accept that this is my journey. I cannot lose 5 pounds in a month. I have never been able to do that and I have definitely tried.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan. I suggest not losing too quickly as someone stated; you want to keep as much muscle as possible during your process. Make sure you eat enough lol I know that sounds funny but it's true. Dont lose heart because of the scale. Take measurments. Some months I lose lbs and some I don't. stay dedicated to your fitness and good luck!
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It is coming off fairly slowly for me...averaging around 7 pounds per month. I exercise 5-6 days per week for an hour each time (interval training, water jogging, Zumba). But on the advice of my trainer I eat about 1900-2000 calories per day. Since I still have almost 100 lbs to lose I would not want to be on really low calories now. Getting the weight off fat would be awesome, but my goal is to be able to feel good while losing and keep it off afterwards. The feel good part is successful so far.

7 pounds a month is a great rate! It takes me about two years to lose 7 pounds! So smart not to cut your calories drastically.
  • roxy_babya2
    Options
    I'm in similar situation as you, got a good 100lbs to go down,
    i don't care how long it takes, so long as it DOES happen.
    cutting starches and sugar drinks is a big step, i'm a coca cola addict!
    (two 600ml bottles a day down from 2L in cans)
    Good Luck!

I applaud you for cutting down on your sodas. It was hard to quit drinking them but I am so glad I did. I know you can do it too!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It has been hard work for me too! I am fully committed this time though. Last year I was 210 and losing but then my bf and I got back together and I kept eating junk food with him (he has a high metabolism and stays skinny, lucky, lol). It is my own fault though, I should have just said no and kept eating healthy but my judgement go the best of me. Last month, I looked and myself in the mirror long and hard and I told myself I couldn't be unhealthy anymore. My anxiety and depression are too high and my medical problems will only get worse if I don't do something about it. So for the last month, I have been eating 1200 calories a day and walking and doing Zumba. I plan to work out even more. I eat half of my exercise calories back as well. I am in this for the long haul! I appreciate anymore advice as well! Thanks!

Stop eating half your exercise calories back for a few weeks and see what happens.....Some days eat none of them back and then other day eat quarter of them back if you're really hungry you might be off on how many calories you are really burning. Stick with it, it will trend in the right direction keeping up with it. Good luck, you're doing a great thing for yourself :-)
  • Roger_Vaughn
    Roger_Vaughn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mine has been over 4 years. I have used several techniques along the way. I was doing workout 2x a day 5 days a week and one on Saturdays. I was also playing softball during the season. I lost about 60 lbs and then I tore a thigh muscle. Almost bled to death in my thigh. I took time off for that to heal and then got busy with life. so I pledged to take time off but maintain weight. I usually fluctuated +- 5 lbs for one year. Now I am one the loose again.

The thing for me is to stay focused and remember my goals. The obstacles (aka I do not feel like going to the gym) are what you see and accept when you take your eyes off the goal.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    A big red warning flag here is the 1200 cals a day. That sounds too low to me, especially with exercise.

Don't ever pick an arbitrary number, and don't fall prey to the more exercise/less food is better idea. Spend some time to calculate your TDEE and settle on a modest deficit allow you to lose between 1 and 2 lbs a week. 2 lbs a week is 104 lbs a year. If it turns out to be 1200 cals so be it, but i am skeptical it will. I believe in eating back your exercise cals and maintaining a modest deficit. The tortoise wins in this race, slow and steady, maintain your muscle, and eat enough food (of the right kinds, of course). It's great to have a goal but don't be in a rush.

If it matters, I lost a bunch more weight (before I joined MFP) than my profile shows. I went down about 60 lbs in 6 months and I believe now that was probably too fast, and I'm much bigger than you! Best of luck!
  • xSTx
    xSTx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm just under a month away from my one year of " eating healthy" and that's exactly what I've done. I've made smarter healthier decisions and I log my food everyday and pre log for the next day. 80% of my weight loss is what I eat and 20% is fitness and exercise.
  • losingit413
    losingit413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 pounds since the beginning of January. I have notice that when I went down to 1200 calories I didn't lose weight. I lose more when I eat more. MFP started me out at around 1400 and something, then refigured and put me down to 1200. I followed it without any cheating and didn't lose weight for over a month. When I went back up to 1400 I started losing again.