Is cardio in the morning before eating really the best

Options
I see a lot of different opinions on this. What do any of you think? Sometimes I just don't have the energy to do cardio first thing in the morning without eating. I am thinking about upping my program to cardio and weights 5 days a week with cardio in the mornings And weights in the afternoon. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I need to lose 40 more lbs

Replies

• JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    Studies have shown that if you exercise on a relatively empty stomach, it aids the fat burning process. It doesn't HAVE to be in the morning. That's just the easiest time if you don't want any new food in your system. That said, the equation is the same. Be consistent with your workouts. Be consistent with your diet. You will see results.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Diet for weight loss, exercise for fitness. Do it when you have the energy and are most likely to do it. Any calorie burn difference is negligible.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • aradje01
    aradje01 Posts: 12
    Options
    I see a lot of different opinions on this. What do any of you think? Sometimes I just don't have the energy to do cardio first thing in the morning without eating. I am thinking about upping my program to cardio and weights 5 days a week with cardio in the mornings And weights in the afternoon. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I need to lose 40 more lbs

There is absolutely NO scientific evidence that working out in the morning is better than working out any other time of the day. Do it when it is convenient for YOU and when YOU want to do it. No time of the day is going to make you lose more weight than others. You need to eat before a workout. Working out on an empty stomach (especially in the morning) can make you have NO energy, make you more tired, you could pass out, make you over eat when you get home, the list goes on and on. Eat something healthy before the gym-something small. Breakfast: eggs, handful of nuts, a piece of fruit. Eat something, it will give you energy you need.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Most of the articles here are on fasted cardio and the research in to it.

http://workout911.com/?cat=265

Especially catch the one about potential bad effects, namely making it intense and long. If you do it on low glucose stores in the liver, something will be burned besides carbs and fat. The fat still will be, guess what else.
  • Most of the articles here are on fasted cardio and the research in to it.

http://workout911.com/?cat=265

Especially catch the one about potential bad effects, namely making it intense and long. If you do it on low glucose stores in the liver, something will be burned besides carbs and fat. The fat still will be, guess what else.

That was a great article.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If I was able to, I would always do my cardio first thing in the morning before eating. I run for my cardio and if I eat to close to running I want to puke. So for me, it would be about getting that morning BM out, then run. Otherwise it would be a constant battle with both ends wanting to erupt.