The Localized Fat Loss Myth

Options
Repeat after me, "There is no such thing as spot reducing!" Everyone feel better? Enjoy the article!

http://www.coachcalorie.com/the-localized-fat-loss-myth/

There’s no such thing as localized fat loss. If you want to see your abs, doing more sit-ups isn’t going to do it. Want toned legs? Leg exercises won’t cut it either. Arms? Yup…you guessed it – not going to happen.

Fat Loss is Systemic

Your body does not discriminate from where it pulls its energy reserves (fat) from. It is constantly mobilizing and storing fat, from all over your body, at all times of the day.

Fat storage patterns are different from person to person. There are a lot of factors that influence where you store the majority of your fat. A couple of these factors are hormone levels and genetics. Your ratio of testosterone to estrogen, and your body’s sensitivity to insulin play a large role in where you store fat. In addition, whether you are a male or female plays a role too. This gender specific fat storage pattern has a lot to do with the differences of hormones in our bodies.

Why Can’t You Target Fat Loss? It’s Physiologically Impossible

When you workout, the hormones and enzymes responsible for fat loss are released into the bloodstream. Within seconds and a few heart pumps, they are dispersed throughout the entire body. For example, you start doing sit-ups with the hope that the fat next to it will be used. Instead, in response to a muscle being contracted, the body notices a demand for energy, and starts releasing fat-mobilizing hormones. These hormones, which are now everywhere in the body in seconds, start pulling energy (fat) from all over the body.

If it seems like you’re holding onto your fat in your belly or your butt, but losing it everywhere else, this is just an illusion. You are actually losing fat all over your body, but the results tend to show up in the areas where you hold the least amount of fat. Remember, as explained earlier, everyone has a different fat pattern for where they hold the majority of their adipose tissue. This is why I believe it is imperative that you are doing body fat tests frequently throughout your weight loss program. Using body fat calipers will show you proof that the fat IS actually coming off those stubborn areas.

How Do You Lose Belly Fat?

If you want to lose that belly fat, you need to get yourself on a balanced exercise and nutrition program. You need to put your body into the right hormonal state so that it can mobilize its fat reserves. How do you do this?

Your diet needs to have a calorie deficit, and it needs to be focused around improving insulin sensitivity so that your body’s fat-mobilizing hormones can start circulating the bloodstream. As your insulin sensitivity improves, you need less and less insulin to shuttle the glucose from carbohydrates (and protein) into your cells. As insulin levels come down, your body is then able to release fatty acids. It can’t do this when insulin levels are high, as insulin is a storage hormone.

Your exercise program should be focused on using compound movements that will challenge your entire body. Use exercises that activate as many muscle fibers as possible. Isolation exercises might have their place, but the average person has no need for them until they have a solid foundation of muscle tone. Don’t be afraid to push yourself. Work out with a high intensity, and don’t worry so much about the fat burning zone.

Now that you know the myth of targeting fat loss and why it’s physiologically impossible, stop planning your workouts around where you want to lose fat. Instead, focus on being consistent, balanced, work hard, and make sure you are eating the right foods to put your body in a fat burning state.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Bumping for others.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Exactly!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Your diet needs to have a calorie deficit, and it needs to be focused around improving insulin sensitivity so that your body’s fat-mobilizing hormones can start circulating the bloodstream. As your insulin sensitivity improves, you need less and less insulin to shuttle the glucose from carbohydrates (and protein) into your cells. As insulin levels come down, your body is then able to release fatty acids. It can’t do this when insulin levels are high, as insulin is a storage hormone.

So this. How do you improve your insulin sensitivity? People are going to see that and think they need to go low carb or something.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

So this. How do you improve your insulin sensitivity? People are going to see that and think they need to go low carb or something.

I agree with you here! I didn't like this part of the article.

ETA: The intent isn't to be an advocate of low carb. I've read some of this guys other posts and he has never promoted such. I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking that things can run more efficiently over time and less insulin is needed. However, that comes from improvements in overall health not from lower carbohydrates.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    When you eat carbs, you spike your insulin. Eat less carbs, less insulin spikes.

Steve
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    When you eat food, you spike your insulin. Eat less food, less insulin spikes.

Steve

Fixed it for you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's probably something simple like losing weight improves your insulin sensitivity.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me, "There is no such thing as spot reducing!" Everyone feel better? Enjoy the article!
    No doubt. But then, I don't know that "Tony Schober" @coachcalorie would be my go-to guy for authoritative health information.
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    No doubt. But then, I don't know that "Tony Schober" @coachcalorie would be my go-to guy for authoritative health information.

If the information is accurate, does it matter who it comes from?

People listen to Dr. Oz everyday and he isn't always truthful. He has paid sponsors and often times promotes BS products.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    It's probably something simple like losing weight improves your insulin sensitivity.

All exercise, but especially resistance training, dramatically improves insulin sensitivity
  • IronPlayground
    Options

All exercise, but especially resistance training, dramatically improves insulin sensitivity

Yes! This! This is what I was aiming for, but I couldn't think of how to say it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When you eat carbs, you spike your insulin. Eat less carbs, less insulin spikes.

Steve

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Yes, losing weight does improve insulin sensitivity. There are certain types of diabetes that are cured by simply losing weight.
  • jennygomez2010
    Options
    "This is why I believe it is imperative that you are doing body fat tests frequently throughout your weight loss program. Using body fat calipers will show you proof that the fat IS actually coming off those stubborn areas. " I agree some much with that cause that one of the effective ways you track your progress and also depend on the program you uses. Personally i normally check out this website www.bestfatlossprograms.com for programs that work especially for women.