How to get net carbs??

Options
Hi everyone, I signed up for this a while ago, but finally got it in gear yesterday. I have started the Atkins diet on recommendation of my doc to get my blood sugars in control faster. Anyone have any idea on how to get net carbs? That is carbs minus fibers, and that is what I am supposed to count.

Replies

• m3x43
    m3x43 Posts: 40
    Options
    Yes, that's correct. Total carbs in grams minus grams of fiber = net carbs. Read your labels or use a carb counter online or book. Good luck! It's not hard once you get going.
  • wildflowerintn
    Options
    Sorry, I meant I am wondering how to get my daily food diary to count net carbs? Its telling me I had too many carbs, but its not taking the fiber ones away. All I am basically gonna eat is veggies and meat till everything is good again.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't calculate net carbs. You'll just have to do the math yourself. MFP does a lot of things, sadly that just isn't one of them.
  • wildflowerintn
    Options
    Well I sure thank you for replying. :D I have a notebook to do it myself and will just ignore when it tells me wrong. Appreciate the help!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What sort of nets are you eating? Fishing? Butterfly? Basketball?
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    make sure that your fiber field appears. I don't know if it's a default setting that MFP shows or not.
    That way, you can easily know to subtract that number (fiber total) from your carbs number. write your numbers in your "Today's Food Notes" at the end of your food diary.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Your doctor recommended Atkins! EEEEK I'd change doctors
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Your doctor recommended Atkins! EEEEK I'd change doctors

The New Atkins diet is much more nutritionally balanced than the old version from many years ago, today the new version is used for pre-diabetics and those with insulin resistance as it does wonders for blood sugar levels. Good doctor. :glasses:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fiber is one of the things you can choose to show in your diary. I have it on mine.
  • kerrreee
    kerrreee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. This may be a dumb question, but does the "carbs" include sugar? So to get net carbs would it be carbs plus sugar minus fiber?