How long will it take to lose 3 inches off hips? Tips?

Options
I have been working out like a beast. I typically do about 8 hours of cardio a week: spin, zumba, kickboxing, running, etc. I am 5'8'' female and recently reached 134lbs. I think my weight is pretty good for my height, maybe I could be a bit lighter. I never really did any strength training as I bought into the myth that it would make me bigger and bulk up. I recently started doing strength exercises, I read they actually make you leaner. I am now focusing on inches rather than weight. My hips are 39inces and I would like to get them to 36inches. How long should this take if I am good about strength training? Am I looking at months and months? What is possible? I know nothing about what it takes to lose an inch! Also, if anyone can recommend exercises that help shrink your hips that would be greatly appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    unfortunately you cant spot reduce fat

how fast you lose will depend on your genetics and body shape.

just eat right and exercise and see how you get along
  • estey89
    estey89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm loosing lbs and inches all over my hips are 42 inches i've lost 13lbs but cant fit into any smaller pants because my hips are so big... grr.
  • rebekahheiner
    rebekahheiner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I went from 36 inches to 33 inches on my hips in about 2-3 months of working out 45 minutes a day, 3-6 days a week. It's important to mix cardio with strength training. Definitely the most effective way to take inches off.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    No one can predict this for you I'm afraid. There's too many variables to be able to say you can lose an inch in x amount of time. Presuming that you are still carrying fat on your hips all you can do is carry on eating at a deficit. There's no particular exercise that will speed up the process. It's just a case of losing the fat that covers the area. A bit of cardio, lift weights and eat at a deficit.
  • moulinette92
    moulinette92 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can predict this really as you can't spot target, but it took me 2 months.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm a 5'8 hourglass, and it took me 50lbs over the course of 16 months to lose 3 inches off my hips.

But my *kitten* looks much better so I'm not too sad about it.
  • nikitabanana1988
    Options
    My clothes for sure fit better. I went from 146 to 134 lbs. I guess there are still gushy parts that I can pinch on my butt and hips. I seem to have some fat deposits on a few areas of my body. I really hope strength training is the key to fix my stubborn areas.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We are pretty close. I am 5'9" and also 134 lbs. I started out at 140 lbs with 40" inch hips and after two to three weeks of a combination of cardio and strength training, I am down to 38". Strength training really makes the difference, but it also depends on where you start from. If you don't have a lot of muscle, you could see big changes quickly like I did. However, for me it was a lot like weight loss: I quickly gained strength and progressed the first few weeks of strength training, but after a few weeks progress slowed to more gradual increases in strength. You can't really "spot train" your hips, if you lose inches it will either be from fat loss, which will occur all over your body, or just from tightening. I am really looking to get down to 36" hips as well so that I can fit back into my old jeans, but when I was that size, I was about 125-130 lbs and pretty lean from dance and yoga, so more weight loss may also be the key.