Cardio first or Strength Training first

Options
So I am a new member to a gym so I'm just getting into the whole working out thing. I've been doing 30 minutes of cardio (Treadmill or Elliptical) then I do 30 or so minutes of weights. Recently someone told me that I was "ruining" my body and doing it wrong by doing cardio first. Just wanting opinions

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Weights first, cardio after. you should always do a quick cardio sesh (5-10 minutes) before lifting to get your body "warmed up", so to speak, but save your main cardio for after the weights.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm with YoungDoc on this one, 5-10min warm up, weights, cardio

You don't want to run out of gas before you lift or you won't be performing at your best
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    unless you're training specifically for cardio performance, you do weights first.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do a mile on the tredmill to warm up and then do my weights. I finish up on the stationary bike and then sometimes do a bit on the ellpitical after. I haven't lost a lot of weight. 6 pounds in almost 2 months, but I'm down a pant size and my legs and waist are noticeably different
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    unless you're training specifically for cardio performance, you do weights first.
    Do whatever works for you.
  • mdchestnut
    mdchestnut Posts: 13
    Options
    I think it really depends on your fitness level and what you plan to do for your cardio and weight session. Sometimes I run first, then do a 20-30 minute weight session. On these days I will not do legs.

Other times I start in the gym then finish with cardio. However after I do a weight lifting session I usually will not run, I prefer the bike, elliptical, or a hill workout on the treadmill.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If it is strength, quick warm up, lift, cardio. If it is training for a running based sport (running, soccer, field hockey etc), quick warm up, cardio, lift. If it is really just for overall weight loss, go with what works best for your body. Try each for a month and stick with the one that feels best.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I do about 7 min of some sort of cardio, then I I lift, then I do whatver cardio for the day.
  • jamesantonyarnold
    jamesantonyarnold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If its pure calorie burn and weight loss then cardio first everytime, If your looking to lose weight at a smaller pace and tone as you go, then a 10 minute warm up followed by weights will sort you out. You should always do some kind of warm up before lifts!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I watch a guy that benched 8 plates do vigorous cardio before his workouts. He is a beast for sure. I think it depends on the person... some people get a pump from the cardio and having that blood moving and being warmed up makes lifts sometimes better and not worse like some would believe. The tipping point is when you do extended cardio and you start getting fatigued over just good blood flow.

I prefer doing warm-up sets because you get a mind muscle connection before your working sets and it allows you to pyramid up the weight. Cardio might decrease my overall stamina if done before hand so I have to hit my working sets faster. I'd say if you aren't careful it could be easier to injure yourself if you "feel warmed up" after cardio and go straight to working sets when you're actually not.

The real reason I do cardio after weights is to push lactic acid out of the muscles, which helps with soreness and recovery.

Edit: Building strength and building muscles aren't the same thing. You can achieve strength gains without muscle gains for example through CNS training and you can build muscle without strength gains just progressively overloading through higher reps. I added this edit because I noticed the "strength" part. I would advise to do strength training, but if you really meant general resistance training that could be before or after.
  • rebekahheiner
    rebekahheiner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you do cardio then strength. Something about your muscles burning more productively when you're at your target heart rate. I may be misinformed, but it's worked for me. Sometimes, I'll do half my cardio, a set of each of my weight lifting, and then the other half of my cardio and another set of each exercise. That way, I don't burn out too quickly and my heart rate stays up the entire workout.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. I have a friend who gets great results from jogging 45 minutes first and then he hits the weights for an hour and a half.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that it doesn't matter which one you do first. (Although he could have just been saying that for me with my current fitness plan and goals it doesn't matter which I do first, I'm not sure.) But I always do weights first simply because I enjoy the cardio much more so I like to leave that for the end as a reward lol!
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always switch it up......it's good to keep the body guessing.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you do cardio then strength. Something about your muscles burning more productively when you're at your target heart rate. I may be misinformed, but it's worked for me. Sometimes, I'll do half my cardio, a set of each of my weight lifting, and then the other half of my cardio and another set of each exercise. That way, I don't burn out too quickly and my heart rate stays up the entire workout.
    thats about the most broscience thing ive ever heard....

and your heartrate should haver zero bearing on resistance training..
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have been told different things but i tend to just warm up on the rower, Do my program whatever that might be then cardio

My trainer said you suppose to use up/ burn or carbs etc etc doing your weights first ( i have no idea what the science terms are that just all i can remember so don't quote me haha) so that when you get to do your Cardio it should be really hard like you've really got to push your self.

That's how i Know if iv done enough weight training, When I'm pooped when i get round to cardio.

If Iv done weights etc ill prob only do 30min ish cardio after then come in the next day and just do cardio.

whatever works for you i guess, I also do a lot of group fitness classes that have a mix of both.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio first and it has worked well for me. Some days I will do half my cardio, then my strength training and the other half of my cardio at the end. It really depends on what you want to accomplish. I am more interested in improving my cardio performance for jogging and cycling, so I do it first to make sure I am fresh and can really push myself to the fullest. I am less concerned about building strength, so I do that afterwards as I don't mind if I am not fully pushing myself because I am tired. If you are more interested in increasing strength and muscle than progressing at cardio, you may want to do strength training first, when you are fresh, after a quick warm up.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Do a10 minute light warm up.. Then lift some heavy *kitten* weights... Id do cardio on non lift days, or do cardio after you pound the iron
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority here, but I like to split them out on to different days. Means I can give my all to both activities.

I warm up for lifting by doing warm-up sets for each movement, that's all. Think I'd have a much less productive session if I even did 10mins of cardio first.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority here, but I like to split them out on to different days. Means I can give my all to both activities.

I warm up for lifting by doing warm-up sets for each movement, that's all. Think I'd have a much less productive session if I even did 10mins of cardio first.

I will do that if Its with a pump class, (weights to music etc etc) and There's no way i can do cardio after it so i do it the next day.