Starting Gym Confused about CALORIES!

Options
mabledog
mabledog Posts: 21 Member
So ive been on MFP for nearly a month. Lost 16lbs so far which is fab!! eating 1,200 a day.
So now im joining the GYM tonight want to start lifting as ive seen the results!! Now do i Stick to 1,200 or find my TDEE and follow that? so much conflicting info on here!
So im planning the gym 3 times a week and a swim 1 or 2 a week. HELP!!

Replies

• tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    It's up to you.

If you get tired from the gym, then eat some or all of your exercise calories back.

Either way you should eat a high protein meal after strength training (or drink a protein shake) so perhaps that could amount to you eating back your exercise caloires?

See what works for you.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    first off- congrats on the amazing loss! not to be a downer, but it will likely slow down after the initial big numbers... so dont get discouraged if it does

theres no one perfect answer for everyone. it might take a few months of toggling between different cal intakes to find your sweet spot. most MFPers will agree 1200 is unsustainable in the long run (you will be hungry and your body will likely not function the way its supposed to- resulting in a weight loss stall).

google "BMR calculator" to find your basal metabolic rate. most people will agree you shuld AT LEAST be consuming that- especially if you are working out

people swear by TDEE, but so far i found that i dont lose anything eating my TDEE. i also found that im starving at my BMR. lately, i have found a happy middle ground between 1600-1800, which i find sustainable (on most days) and still healthy- and my body is finally responding :)

hope this helps. good luck!
  • mabledog
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I know from previous years when i did exercize i was always hungry after a swim or a workout. so i need to work out what to do, dont want to get downhearted! Im a bit scared now to start exercizing?!? I think shakes could be the way well lets wait and see........
  • mabledog
    Options
    Oh and will be speaking to Martin-personnel trainer at the gym tonight and see if he will help sort a plan we can do.
  • Jovette42
    Jovette42 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You must listen to your body and more than likely you will have to eat more ;) I started MFP Jan 2012 and I would have NEVER thought I would be able to eat a good 2000 cal and sometimes I do. :O LOL Just listen!!
  • mabledog
    Options
    Thank you! Ive never thought of listening to my body before, to busy with 4 kids, schools, cleaning,cooking, after school clubs,dogs, catsand my hubby..... Will make time for me!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options