other people!

Options
I don't know if anyone else finds this but after the awful realisation, of moving the scales all around the bathroom, sure they were broken it gave me the kick I needed to lose weight. My friend drew me up an eating plan and constantly stalks me as to how I am eating which i find really encouraging because we are going on her hen night in July. I have never been so focussed and I am absolutely detremined to lose weight. Yet others seem to constantly criticise me. At a recent bbq I was told to just take my car home and have a day off! I really don't need that! and when I visit friends instead of them encouraging me they ask why I am -
'eating rabbit food'. and that I am now 'boring' These are some of the same people who in the past have told me, "don't moan about your weight, only you can sort it out!" I really do despair sometimes :-(

Replies

• Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need new friends lol Maybe your doing something productive and they deep down are starting to feel jealous
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Short of simply finding new friends, I'd simply toss questions back at them, like, "Why do you feel the need to comment on what I eat when I don't do the same to you?" or "Why do you think a healthy lifestyle is boring?" People often don't think about what they say, so throwing it back at them in the form of a question makes them stop and think. Often they don't know what to say, so they learn to shut up about it.

Personally, I'm proud of the lifestyle change I'm making. My friends are supportive, but if any of them ever tried to cut it down, I'd toss back, "So you think I should let myself go and drop dead like both my parents did in their 50s?" That tends to back them off.
  • Marsalforn1
    Marsalforn1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have lost 18 lbs since Jan, and havent told a single person that I am on a healthy plan (its not a diet, as that would imply I would go back to "normal" eating, the kind that made me put on weight). So, no-one has noticed that I've lost weight. Do I care? No. I am doing it for me.
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    WOW! I'd be pretty pissed if I were you, your friends and family are supposed to be your biggest supporters and it sounds like you only have one. I agree that maybe its time for some new friends that actually support your lifestyle changes!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Maybe your friends are worried you're going to look better than they do. I find that I'm always the "safe" friend because of my weight. I'm not a temptation to anyone's boyfriend or husband, and because I don't go out very often (my own insecurities), I'm usually home and available whenever someone needs to talk. So maybe your friends are worried they'll "lose you" or that once you start feeling great and looking even better, you'll leave them in the dust. It may just take time for them to see that you're still the same person on the inside. If they don't come around, then they weren't worth the time in the first place and you can work on finding friends who do support you. And there's always the other MFP people to help you along the way. Good luck!
  • MzNikiDaDancingQueen
    MzNikiDaDancingQueen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    People like that are just insensitive for lack of better words *kitten* lol. Those same ppl are just upsetv with themselves that they didn't have the courage n motivation to make a change to better themselves. So I say screw them n keep doing what your doing. Because add long as your happy n feeling great your gonna always have those few negative friends or haters so just keep on moving forward. No need to turn back
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Babe .. this is so annoying ! dieting is hard enough on the first few weeks let alone people trying to discourage you ! I totally agree with everyone on here.. these people telling you to have a "day off" the diet and the ones probably sat there swilling pints of larger and scoffing 20 hot dogs...
    You've got such an amazing year planned and tons of fun weekends, when you are going to want to look and feel your best ... just think whilst you are looking great in Peurto Banus, V Festival, the Wedding etc.. this people will all still be sat on the same seats / scoffing the same disgusting food !! lol
    If I was at that BBQ and you said you were dieting, I would have offered you to cook you some bbq corn on the cob or put a nice chicken breast on there for you .. something still healthy so you can join in.. dieting doesn't mean our lives end / but they shouldnt be discouraging you either.. When I was losing weight I even had someone tell me I looked 'disgusting'.. although I knew it was the best I had ever felt in my l ife ... they don't like it.. and its nothing but utter jealousy..
    So keep it up.. have your healthy lifestyle and controlled treats when you feel ready..
    You will look the nuts whilst they are all unhealthy slobs and probably have an early heart attack !!!
    lol
    Love ya xx