Places to eat in NYC?

Options
SJLS2013
SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
Hi All,

I'm off on holiday to New York on Saturday (I'm in the UK). I wondered if anyone knew any good places to eat? Anything particularly American we should try?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Junior's Deli, Times Square--deli food is traditional NYC, and this one is very close to the Broadway theaters. Red Flame diner. Max Brenner ("Chocolate by the Bald Man") for dessert one day. Hot dogs from a cart. New York style pizza. Cocktails at the Algonquin if you're in a literary mood. Awesome ethnic food everywhere--restaurants come and go, though, so pull up a Google map of the area you're staying in, search nearby restaurants, and hit the reviews.

If you're being touristy, you should be able to walk off most of the calories. Have fun!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad when I go but I go to the American diners. Tick Tock is one we love

Or for fish try Pasific Gill on the river at the seaport
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    So many. What types of food do you like? I'm originally from there.

(Personally I'd avoid the tourist trap places and go for where the locals eat.)
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Carnegie Deli. Best Cheesecake. Ever. And if you happen to be down around Bleeker Street, check out Peanut Butter and Co. (If you are a pb fan). That is a fun deli! www.ilovepeanutbutter.com

Oh and if you are in Harlem, go to Dinosaur BBQ!! (The original restaurant is in Syracuse NY, my hometown area. Best BBQ ever!)
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Oh good god, do NOT eat at any restaurant anywhere near Times Square. Tick Tock diner? Come ON. This is NYC, there are thousands of restaurants to choose from, why would you eat at a crappy ordinary diner??? That's like telling someone to go to the Pizza Hut for New York pizza. Oy.

First let's narrow down your neighborhoods, assuming you're going to be in Manhattan:

AVOID: Times Square, Penn Station area, Fashion District, Meatpacking (unless you like waiting in line for douchey clubs), Wall Street, Upper East Side
    TRY: West Village, Lower East Side (esp. for going out late at night), Tribeca, Soho (better for shopping than food, though), Chelsea

The best stuff in NYC is not necessarily "typical American" food, which is really the forte of many of our great nation's smaller towns. But here are some of my American favorites:

- Joseph Leonard in the West Village (I used to live in the neighborhood and it was my go-to... simply fantastic quality food at a reasonable price)
    - Westville (a couple of locations - West Village, East Village, Chelsea)
    - Grimaldi's in Flatiron (New York style pizza in a restaurant located in a "mall" that was previously a club and originally a church. It's called Limelight). My absolute favorite pizza in NYC is at Don Antonio on 50th & 8th, but that's italian-style.
    - Wolfgang's in Tribeca for steak... if you have time to go Brooklyn, I suggest Peter Luger, but Wolfgang's is a close 2nd and more convenient.

Again, there are thousands of restaurants so you're almost guaranteed to find exactly what you want if you're willing to do some research. Yelp is probably the most useful resource. Good luck! Hope you enjoy your stay this glorious city!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I went to NYC at new year, (i'm from the uk too) i forget the name but we went to a Chinese buffet in between Penn Station and Times Square. Was lovely! I ate what i wanted all week, but as you do so much walking I only out on 1lb. Considering it was Christmas time i'm well pleased with that lol. Have fun!x
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    Options
    kinish!
  • rob_base
    Options
    a slice of NY sicilian pizza!
  • rob_base
    Options
    nathan's hot dog
  • rob_base
    Options
    oh wait......NY city or state? I was taling 'bout the city
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Floridita -- Cuban resstaurant near the GWB Bus Terminal.
  • tmgider
    tmgider Posts: 16
    Options
    Just visited NYC a few weeks ago. We ate at Pierre Loti which is a wine bar that serves tapas. It was wonderful!. There are 3 locations in NYC - the restaurant where we ate was located in Midtown East. We also enjoyed Chelsea Market. It is a historical building that has quite a few market stands where you can purchase different types of food.

I would recommend using Trip Advisor for NYC. It is a free app that you can download.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Go downtown and wander until you find a place that looks good. There are so many great restaurants in East/West/Greenwich Village, anywhere near Astor Place (it's a stop on the 6 train), Park Slope (if you're traveling to Brooklyn, plus Prospect Park is gorgeous), and even Midtown East has some good places to eat (though I may be biased, as that's where I live).
    If you're looking for something both slightly tourist-y but also AWESOME, I highly recommend Eataly at Madison Square Park (I think the entrance is on 23rd St and 5th Ave?)-- it's Mario Batali's high-end Italian grocery-store-restaurant-wine-bar experience. The rooftop restaurant, Birreria, just has some wonderful food/beer/wine. It's also right next to Madison Square Park and a Shake Shack, so you can grab an awesome burger while looking at this summer's art installation and enjoying the outdoors.
    There are a million restaurants in NYC. Just make sure to avoid some of the places already mentioned, like Times Square, around Penn Station (Midtown West is pretty devoid of good restaurants in general, compared to other neighborhoods), etc.
    HAVE FUN!
    A favorite of mine is called The Vault at Pfaff's-- it's an underground speakeasy-type bar, but they have some pretty classic and wonderful NY cocktails.