Flying Delta... Will I fit? (Boeing 737)

Options
Hello,

I am hoping to get some answers/experiences with flying Delta.

I won a trip to stay at the Biggest Loser Ranch in Malibu for a week. I am excited about it, which is hard to believe since there is like 6 hours of excercise scheduled during the day.

Problem is I am extremely SCARED about flying. I havent flown in several years because at 507 pounds, it didn't seem like an option. I have lost almost 200 pounds since then, and I'm worried I still am too large to fly.

Anyone have an insight?

I appreciate it very much

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Okay, do you 507 or 307 now? If you are flying coach, the seats are tiny even for "average" sized people. If you're flying business class, they are slightly wider, and first class is fine. I would suggest calling Delta and asking. I think they will offer an additional seat beside you at a discounted price if you are afraid you'll invade your neighbors' space.
  • johnsongirls
    johnsongirls Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Call the airlines. There is a chance they make you purchase an extra seat, but you may get by with just a seatbelt extender. Wait, are you still 507 or 307?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My hubby is 6'2" and 260 lbs. He fits into a regular seat but he isn't really comfortable. The airlines will give you a seat belt extension if you need it. I suppose it depends where you carry your weight. My husband has a big belly but he isn't exceptionally wide across the butt area. We've flown to Europe a couple times with no issue.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without knowing your measurements. I believe the seat width on the 747 is about 17.5 in if that helps.
  • mrdmevans
    mrdmevans Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Im 307 now, hoping to be under 300 by the time of the flight.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I flew on Continental (737) at 306lbs. It was a tight fit, but they didn't make me buy another seat. Congraulations on dropping 200lbs - good job.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If you're tall enough, 307 pounds can be relatively well distributed on a man. At least enough that you shouldn't have a problem flying at that weight.
  • Wendy265
    Wendy265 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check with the airline. I believe Delta does not make you pay for an extra seat if you need it. Double check please. I recall them moving a larger passenger to a spot that had an open seat next to him. It all depends on safety. The website should have info on it.
    Safe travels.
  • 40520th
    40520th Posts: 1
    Options
    You'll be o.k. on a 737. You won't be comfortable because it'll be a tight fit. You might need a seat belt extender, but you won't need an extra seat. An aisle seat will gives you the most room. I fly Delta all the time at 6'4 and weigh 357 lbs. and I fit in their seats.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Congrats on the win!

Like the others said. It's best to contact the airlines. A friend was just telling me a few weeks ago on his flight back to Melbourne there was a morbidly obese couple who purchased seat on each end of 3 seats, knowing they wouldn't fit next to each other (their arms touched even with the seat between them). Then a woman comes to go sit in her seat between them, and she clearly can't fit, friend said she just looked at the flight attendant and the flight attendant just nodded and said they'd fixed it.
  • mrdmevans
    mrdmevans Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I called Delta and spoke to a very nice lady. She did everything she could do to make me feel secure and comfortable.

She said that if you can fit in a standard size recliner then you can fit on the seats of the 737. She recommended an aisle seat, but she believes I will be just fine (with the use of a seatbelt extender)

Thanks for all of your input everyone
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Have you looked up the dimensions for a Delta seat online? I know in the past when i had this concern I measured beforehand to have an idea. Best of luck at the ranch!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I called Delta and spoke to a very nice lady. She did everything she could do to make me feel secure and comfortable.

She said that if you can fit in a standard size recliner then you can fit on the seats of the 737. She recommended an aisle seat, but she believes I will be just fine (with the use of a seatbelt extender)

Wow, great customer service for Delta! I am glad she made you feel good about this.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    We just came back from a trip on American Airlines 767 and my husband weighs 280 pounds. We flew in coach. He was not uncomfortable in his seat. I sat next to him and he didn't invade my space. Congratulations on your win. :happy: I wish you the best of luck!!! Also, congratulations on losing 200 pounds :bigsmile:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options

excellent news and sounds like great customer service!

do let us know how you get on- have a great time and enjoy yourself (if that is possible)!
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    Congratulations on winning!! :) Hope everything goes well!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

I'm glad you called! Congratulations on your win. Make sure you update and let us know how it was!