Going for fewer carbs?

Options
I was talking to my husband today about how I would like to eat fewer carbs, which is a real challenge for me. My family has always been about the carbs, and I am the same. Bread, pasta, potatoes, you name it! Now, i don't want to cut out all carbs, as I know some a very good for you. My big dilemma is that most dishes I know how to make are centered around carbs- Stuff like noodle dishes and stuff over rice... Is there some way to make similar dishes with fewer carbs? Like stir fry over something other than rice? I thought about doing chicken fajitas, but instead of in a wrap, I would put the stuff on shredded lettuce and have a salad-type thing. Any tips would be great, or maybe some low-cal/low-carb cooking sites you know of? Thanks!

Replies

• dorianmw
    dorianmw Posts: 3
    Options
    i'm puerto rican so, carbs are our safe place trust me i know. I've cooked rice and beans every day for my family but i dont eat all the rice. i serve myself like i serve the kids. i tried spagettie squash as an alternative to pasta. Its actually really good. You could even use it as noodles becuase it looks like noodles and doesnt have a real non noodle taste. Ive also heard zucchini is really good to to use instead of lagnasa noodles. I love beans so i try to have them with every meal they also have alot of fiber which is very good for us. My friend changed to brown rice and instead of making it with water she puts swanson chicken broth and its very good. hope this helps.
  • aquavitae30
    Options
    you could try whole grain/whole wheat pasta, or try some of the grains like quinoa,

For the fajitas, you can make them into lettuce wraps with romaine or green leaf lettuce.

As far as rice goes, I've never actually tried it, but I've read multiple people say that if you cook cauliflower and "rice" it with a ricer, it will make a very good low carb healthy rice substitute. I've heard you can make a pretty good mashed "potatoes" with cauliflower too.
  • robyndanielle3
    robyndanielle3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ohh YEAH! Go PRIMAL! If you love meat, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds, veggies and fruits.... and think you can live off of 'em, check this site out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/

If you have ANY questions, just ask me! I'm PRIMAL and love it. One of my friends lost 50 pounds eating like this and doing P90X. AWESOME!!! I'm a carb girl and have been able to stay with it! This diet basically focuses on local, natural, foods... Like, caveman status. :)

I love what I make. I have a lot of quick, healthy recipes.... and I feel great!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Ohh YEAH! Go PRIMAL! If you love meat, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds, veggies and fruits.... and think you can live off of 'em, check this site out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/

If you have ANY questions, just ask me! I'm PRIMAL and love it. One of my friends lost 50 pounds eating like this and doing P90X. AWESOME!!! I'm a carb girl and have been able to stay with it! This diet basically focuses on local, natural, foods... Like, caveman status. :)

I love what I make. I have a lot of quick, healthy recipes.... and I feel great!

My only thing is that I want to make a lifestyle change, and not do anything too super drastic that will be hard for the whole family to stick with. I will definitely use some of these ideas though, thanks! I don't want this to be a kind of quick fix or anything, mostly just want to get a few carbs outta there. :frown:

Dorianmw: Those are some fantastic ideas. I hear spaghetti squash is really good- even by people not on low carb diets! And I would really like to incorporate more beans into my diet. And I love zucchini, and my husband loves lasagna, so I am going to have to try that!

Aquavitae30: Great ideas! Mashed "potatoes" out of cauliflower? Well, its work a try! Thanks! I have already made the transfer to brown rice, and I actually like it better than white rice! I really want to try quinoa for sure... I just have to find it, first!

Thanks for the ideas everyone!!!