Insanity to help running?

Options
So here is the deal. I am moderately in shape and have a decent amount of muscle but my cardio skills are lacking. I do HIIT (usually around 15 minutes) which is GREAT for leaning down but not so great for things that require endurance...like running.

I have a 5K at the end of September which is great but I am not prepared at all to run 3 miles. I can't really train outside as it is high pollen season and I nearly fall over dead. I DO have a treadmill but it is epically boring, though I do plan on using it from time to time.

I was wondering if something like Insanity would help since it is 45-60 minute long workouts? I did the fit test (found it on youtube) this AM to see and my scores were quite decent...so I am not sure I could really improve that part a whole lot, but I might be able to improve my endurance? Maybe?

Is there any benefit? Or should I go the dr for an inhaler and loads of allergy meds and just run outside?

Replies

• MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    No one?
  • vaquera19
    vaquera19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to an elliptical? It's better on your knees and gives you a whole body workout. My husband and I will be doing Insanity this fall, but he says it's a lot of cardio.

I don't know if an inhaler will work to relieve allergies since it just addresses the constriction of your airways, but not the mucus and sneezing that typically accompany allergies. A dr would know more.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone you can download the c25k app for free. It's specific purpose is to train you for a 5k. I think it's a 2month long app. I don't know if Insanity will improve your running or not.

ETA. I know you said the treadmill is boring but the program is 3 days a week for 1/2 hour so it may be tolerable
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    running helps with running
  • erinkhalsa
    erinkhalsa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have bad asthma and allergies as well, and while any intense cardio will help condition your lungs, the best thing to get you in better running condition is, alas, running. Even more so I think running outside....load up.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    As others have said there really isn't a good substitute for running itself but Insanity is an extremely cardio intense program. There are short breaks throughout the 45-60 minute workouts but they generally last about 30 seconds. You're constantly in the 70 - 85% max heart rate range (and even higher at times). While I've never attempted what you suggest (I can't stand running), I'd go out on a limb in saying that after completing Insanity you could likely complete a 5K. That said, there is no substitute for running itself so I would plan to mix in runs with the program (substitute for one of the workouts you hate!) When the pollen subsides and it gets closer to September up the runs. The full Insanity program is 63 days.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 43 of Insanity (only 20 more to go!), have run a couple of times since I started the program, and found tremendous improvements in my speed and endurance. Before I started Insanity I was running about 4 miles a day 4-5 days a week, doing some days at longer sustained pace and some workouts with high speed intervals thrown in. I always had difficulty increasing my pace but being able to maintain it for a significant amount of time. Now it's definitely not a problem after Insanity! And the bonus is you just keep getting better and better as you work through the program. If you decide to try it though, just be careful with your knees (lots of jumping)!

Also, there are running/Insanity hybrid programs out there. Haven't tried one yet so I can't say if they are good or not, but maybe something you might want to look into.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In general, elliptical<treadmill<running outside to get you there, but in my experience you can make good strides with alternate cardio, then switch to running leading up to the 5k. I do think actually hitting the pavement leading up to the event is important.

I only started running a month before my 5k mud run. I did the elliptical and got in decent cardiovascular shape prior to that. I was able to jump to running 5k within a week and was running 10km within a couple of weeks. Not a great pace, about a 10 minute mile, but I was making it.

If you are looking to set a good pace, you will probably want to run more that though. Now that I've continued running, my pace during a 10 km run has fallen from a 9:30/mile to under 9:00/mile within a month.
  • mdchestnut
    mdchestnut Posts: 13
    Options
    Not sure about insanity, but try jump roping. I know folks who hate to run and jumping rope keeps their endurance and cardio up.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st 5k in July. I was doing Insanity before but. It's no substitute for running. I would reccomend C25k. It's a great program and really helps with building up endurance.
  • k9t8a8
    k9t8a8 Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't know that you can completely substitute Insanity for running, but as a runner who is currently doing the program, I can tell you that it's definitely helped me improve my speed and endurance. I've taken a good 2 minutes off of my 5K time since starting Insanity in April.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you can completely substitute Insanity for running, but as a runner who is currently doing the program, I can tell you that it's definitely helped me improve my speed and endurance. I've taken a good 2 minutes off of my 5K time since starting Insanity in April.

That is a good sign. Thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i vote C25K as well... running is the best way to improve your running.... if you cant get outside, learn to love your treadmill!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I will tell you my experience. I am not a runner AT ALL. I had a 5K in late April (my first) and it was basically a fun run but it was still a 5K. Never had I run 3 miles straight before. I have the C25K app and I've tried it before, got to maybe week 7 and suffered from shin splints so I quit. I started Insanity on April 4th. By my 5K on April 28th I was in way better shape to run the 5K than I was before starting Insanity. I tested myself a few days before by running the 5K test at the end of C25K and I did OK. I ran with a bunch of friends and found myself urging them along, I didn't want to walk, I WANTED to run, something I never thoght I would say, lol. So yes, I feel Insanity helped me tremendously with my stamina for running.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    C25K + Strength Training
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    YES all the way. I just started phase 2 on Sunday and I am not a runner by any means, I used to be. I'd run 3+ miles a day a few years ago. But I couldn't even run for 5 minutes without wanting to die. Anyway - this past Satuirday on my "rest day" I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and didn't have ANY trouble. I had a mental fight with myself the last 1/2 mile but I wasn't tired or out of breath. It's all from doing Insanity because I don't do any other cardio.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    running helps with running

^^I agree with the above. Nonetheless, I have done Insanity and both the Asylum series and I did find that they helped me with my speed and endurance. Running is still the exercise I do the most, and I do 1-2 Insanity (or Asylum) workouts a week for variety. I managed to shave 5.5 minutes off my 10k time and finished with a PB of 47:30. I'm going to keep doing this and try to beat that time in my next 10K. Try it and see if it works for you.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Insanity is not good for running? Excuse me while I go and flash the medal I got for running the Prague Half Marathon last year. Insanity was the only thing I did to train for it.

Ignore the others. Insanity will help with running a 5k. Just be careful with your knees and ensure you get a high amount of protein.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Is there any benefit? Or should I go the dr for an inhaler and loads of allergy meds and just run outside?

Get the inhaler and meds and go run outside. It will be 9000 times better.
    If your goal is to run outside on the road. Its the best way.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

That is a good sign. Thanks!

Insanity will work with improving running just like the Plyometric DVD in P90X will work. But, you still need a base set up in order for it to do that. Which means running. You can't build running endurance without running.