This site really works...what's worked for you?

Options
cynthiaj777
cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
I want to congratulate everyone on the weight they have lost thus far. This site as really helped me realize what I'm putting in my mouth, and what I should NOT put in my mouth. I was completely blind to how fattening some of the foods were that I would eat regularly. I was eating I KNOW 3000 calories a day without realizing it. Once I started logging food, I was AMAZED!

So, I wanted to asked: what's the best advice you have received since being on MFP, and what really works for you? This can be weight loss tips, exercise tips, eat this, not that tips. I really want to pick everyone's brain with this!

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I was just talking to my mom about this earlier tonight actually. We've both spent the last six years losing extra weight together. We were discussing tonight how so many people have the notion that eating out all the time is really bad for you. My family eats out at least once a day. Period. We go to fast food places a lot, but we also go to sit down places too. My mom and I have both lost a lot of weight, and contribute it a lot to the fact that we do eat out so much. So, I'd probably say being able to eat out so much and have so much variety in my diet is what's helped me the most.
  • leesey1
    leesey1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i love this site, and i am so glad i found it. i will not eat or drink anything without knowing how many calories it has. i am young so while everyone else is on Facebook i am on MFP learning new exercise tips, crave curbing tips, and most of all getting motivation! i love this site and everyone on here, because of so much support that is offered here. :heart:
  • tara_c
    tara_c Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I agree about this site. It has also worked wonders for me..I've lost 12 lbs in 8 weeks! Like you, I didnt realize how many calories were in the food I was eating. I've come to realize it was never how much I ate, but WHAT I ate that caused me to be overweight! I honestly believe I eat more now than I did before, but my calorie intake is so much lower the weight is just coming off easily.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What I have come to realize is that I can really eat whatever I want...just not every day all the time. Does that make sense? For example I have not had to give up my favourite foods like pizza, ice cream etc. , I just make sure that they are balanced with more healthy choices, the portions are appropriate and I am within my calorie range. I think this makes it much more of a lifestyle thing, not a diet, and that I will be able to maintain it in the long run.

Jill
  • Hotabs
    Hotabs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi. Well I have just come back from holiday. Had a great time yes I put on a few lbs but you carnt telll. I know because I have been congratulated on my weightlosd again at work. Great feeling. I felt confident That I would be able to come home and settle back into my healthy routine by tracking my food & exercise on here with the support of all of you. Any wAy it's working. So what am saying is this is my way of life now not a diet. I can continue like this knowing that I can relax my eating habits for one off occassions if needed without beating myself up. Big hint find a sport you like track it but don't eat the extra cals that you have earned.
  • nomoremuffintop2010
    Options
    I think being aware what is going in my mouth has been a great help to me. I now work out 6 days a week and I feel great. Cutting back on the drinks alone have been such a help. I don't want to work my butt off at the gym and waste my calories on a soda !
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've gotten is - "If you bite it, write it".
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Portion control!!! I never knew what a portion was!!!! I used to fill up a bowl of cereal and not know I was eating about 4 servings!!! I now weigh everything and am more aware of how much I should be eating,
    Biggest tip: drink water...lots of water,
    Most useful advice: read the sticky at the top of the general weight loss board about BMR, Maintenance and eating exercise calories (it took a while to make sense but it does now!)
    Best thing about this site: the people on it, they make you feel welcome, help with any answers, support and motivate you and even suggest recipes to try!!!

If I had tried to lose weight by myself I would have been clueless and am so glad that when I searched for calorie counting apps on my Iphone this came up for free! So thank you Mike and thank you fellow MFP'ers!
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    The best advice I've gotten is - "If you bite it, write it".

:laugh: Good one
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!