Boosting Weight Loss

Options
I'm hoping to get input and advice from others who are experiencing what I am experiencing. Is there any way to boost my weight loss? I'm following a 1200 calorie per day plan, as well as exercising four (4) or more days a week for at least an hour.

Are there any supplements that anyone has tried that worked and didn't have crazy side effects?

Replies

• sarahjalink
    sarahjalink Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I am currently trying raspberry ketones after reading a lit of good stuff about them. I'm following 1200 cals diet, exercise 3 nights a week and taking the ketones, losing 2lbs a week. I don't know if I'd be losing without the ketones but they certainly wont do any harm. I got mine from Holland and Barrett. Good luck :)
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    maybe Yohimbine HCL+200mg caffeine 30 minutes before cardio.

But even then you're probably only talking 5-10% extra burn IF ANY.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    1 ) don't do 1200 calories 2) eat back your exercise calories or follow the TDEE - % method 3) raspberry ketones...ummm no.... 4) ummmm no on the raspberry ketones 5) ummmm no on the rasperry ketones 6) repeat 3, 4, 5, 6.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Got the popcorn?
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I am currently trying raspberry ketones after reading a lit of good stuff about them. I'm following 1200 cals diet, exercise 3 nights a week and taking the ketones, losing 2lbs a week. I don't know if I'd be losing without the ketones but they certainly wont do any harm. I got mine from Holland and Barrett. Good luck :)

Did any of those "readings" talk about ketoacidosis and its effects of the kidneys. If you want to try this, you should talk to your Dr. first.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1 ) don't do 1200 calories 2) eat back your exercise calories or follow the TDEE - % method 3) raspberry ketones...ummm no.... 4) ummmm no on the raspberry ketones 5) ummmm no on the rasperry ketones 6) repeat 3, 4, 5, 6.

THIS!! Go to the 'eat more to weigh less' discussion forum and read away. 1200 calories is way too low for anyone, especially when you're working out regularly. I actually gained weight eating 1200 calories. All you're doing is damaging your metabolism.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method you are supposed to eat back exercise calories (I did 50% - 70% when I was doing MFP). MFP is a NEAT method calculator so exercise is extra activity that is not accounted for in your daily activity level setting. That will help...when you are eating so little and exercising and not eating back those calories, basically your body thinks it's in some kind of famine and slows down your metabolism as a natural defense mechanism. Eating back those exercise calories will keep you in a calorie deficit, just a more modest one that doesn't freak your body out and make it shut down.

Also, this isn't a spring...you need to be in long haul or you're ultimately going to fail because easy come, easy go...quick weight loss is never sustained.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

THIS!! Go to the 'eat more to weigh less' discussion forum and read away. 1200 calories is way too low for anyone, especially when you're working out regularly. I actually gained weight eating 1200 calories. All you're doing is damaging your metabolism.

It is possible to gain at 1200, but only if you weigh about 100#, have about 5% body fat and don't exercise. But there has been no verified/documented case of anyone consistently gaining at a given calorie level and then beginning to lose by increasing calories without changing their level of activity. If you are consistently gaining weight at a given calorie intake level then you have a calories surplus and if you increase your calories, you will ALWAYS increase the surplus and gain more weight. The metabolism issue does exist but it isn't a switch that is thrown all at once; it is gradual.
  • sarahjalink
    sarahjalink Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories. In my experience the whole "you won't lose weight eating 1200 or fewer cals" is bull. I went through a period when I was feeling very low and sick and was consuming about 600-700 cals a day, for about 3 weeks and lost nearly a stone, taking me to 8 stone. So that chucks the starvation mode theory out the window. And a) no i didn't gain it all back when I returned to eating sensibly and b) no. I don't condone this.

1200 calories caloriesa day is enough for me, my BMR is around 1350 a day and I work in an office. Eat more than that and I can forget about wearing a bikini this year!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

^^ x1000
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get input and advice from others who are experiencing what I am experiencing. Is there any way to boost my weight loss? I'm following a 1200 calorie per day plan, as well as exercising four (4) or more days a week for at least an hour.

Are there any supplements that anyone has tried that worked and didn't have crazy side effects?

There are no short cuts or magic pills. Pick a sensible calorie goal (1200 is too low for most people) and stick to the plan, eat healthy and exercise. Choose a healthy lifestyle over a crash diet and diet pills.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
  • BTBAshley
    BTBAshley Posts: 2
    Options
    This is a huge part of my confusion, because while I work out 4x per week at least, I work all day in an office. This is why I've chosen to go to a 1200 calorie per day diet, because there is no additional burn past my work outs.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    This is a huge part of my confusion, because while I work out 4x per week at least, I work all day in an office. This is why I've chosen to go to a 1200 calorie per day diet, because there is no additional burn past my work outs.

On the days you workout, eat more. But eat more in general anyway.

Also, make sure you're lifting weights. There is no more sure fire way to lose inches and get in shape than lifting heavy.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories. In my experience the whole "you won't lose weight eating 1200 or fewer cals" is bull. I went through a period when I was feeling very low and sick and was consuming about 600-700 cals a day, for about 3 weeks and lost nearly a stone, taking me to 8 stone. So that chucks the starvation mode theory out the window. And a) no i didn't gain it all back when I returned to eating sensibly and b) no. I don't condone this.

1200 calories caloriesa day is enough for me, my BMR is around 1350 a day and I work in an office. Eat more than that and I can forget about wearing a bikini this year!

I sometimes go through spurts of eating less than I should and as you say it isn't something to recommend, but I also find that it is effective. When I eat less, the weight drops off faster; increase the amount I eat and the weight loss slows. There are some good reasons not to restrict yourself too much but the starvation mode myth isn't one of them. When I say "myth" I mean the myth that there is a point at which you will plateau and eating more will cause you to lose weight and eating less will cause you to gain. Such a point has never been documented in any medically recognized study.
  • PapillonBleu72
    PapillonBleu72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Am not sure that boosting things is that wise. If you do things too quickly, I believe this is when you are more likely to gain back super quickly as well.
    You seem to be doing the right thing so far. Patience is a sacred key.:wink:

Good luck!
  • tanyelacombe
    tanyelacombe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your body has a resting metabolic rate of burn. I sit at a desk everyday 10-12 hours a day. I eat 2000 calories a day and my metabolism burns over 2500. You are starving your body by eating 1200 calories. You are doing metabolic damage to your body, as well. You need to eat what your BMR calculation is and eat back what you burn during your workout. Your "after burn" calories will be your deficit.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I would disagree with this. I think most people are at least lightly active when it comes down to it. We get up, shower, get dressed, somehow get to work, work all day, come home, do the shopping , put it away, do laundry, tidy our spaces, cook, wash up, etc. Certainly sitting behind a desk isn't active, but all the little things that go into a day or week add up.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    CLA, green tea and fish oil
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    maybe Yohimbine HCL+200mg caffeine 30 minutes before cardio.

But even then you're probably only talking 5-10% extra burn IF ANY.
    And Yohimbine is potentially very dangerous.