Struggling with self-image....

Options
Does anyone else still have trouble with self-image? I mean, I feel better about myself than I have in years, but like this morning-I pulled out the new shorts I bought that are the size I am now and thought "No way these will fit my fat behind." Well they do--perfectly--but I can't seem to get past the image I have of myself at almost 300 lbs...Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well you are still not at goal yet. You will probably struggle with self image until you get your body in exactly the shape you want or are at goal. I still felt very fat when I had lost 60 lbs. I was still 50 lbs from goal so it really did not seem like much of a loss. I knew I fit in smaller clothes and I could move better but I still had a lot of fat on my body so it was hard to take in the results. Do you have before and after pictures to look at? That may help.
  • whycantregister
    whycantregister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do! I do! *sigh*

what worse, my low self-esteem isn't about my weight only, but it's almost like EVERYTHING about myself. It isn't that I am not grateful to God (I am glad that I am not handicapped though), but sometimes, when I look to the mirror, I can't lie to myself that I always wonder and complain:

why am I not that tall? why do I have small boobs? why I have too many cellulite? why I got a big nose? why my skin isn't glowy & the colour is uneven? why ain't my thighs are toned? why that, why this ..

LOL. I could continue ranting about things that I feel bad about myself, that sometimes I found I am laughing and shaking to myself in the mirror! :))

People often say, ''be grateful to whoever you are/ if he loved you, he will accept you the way you are/ bla bla bla''..

As for me, I have always been a friendly and humorous girl in the real life, and people always compliment how they like my natural smile and my eyes, and my personality. Still, despite of these few good things that people have been honestly complimenting about me, I still can't get it over my negativeness. *sigh*

1) They say, to make us feel more grateful (in our case, to feel blessed and happy with our body), is to look at those that have worse scenarios than us. Let's say, you are now happily married and your husband has been with you until now, now look at some other people, there have been many relationships that break down simply because one of them got fat/ physically change - it happens in the real life, unfortunately. Still, your loving husband has been accepting you through your thick and thin, while others might not have this kind of support though - so, when you feel low looking at yourself in the mirror, next time, try to imagine to look at your gorgeous body from the eyes of your loving husband. I am sure for him you have always been his beautiful queen, and he is proud of you for everything :))

2) I wish I could motivate you though not much, I know depression and low self-esteem aren't something that is easy to get rid of - we have lived with it for YEARS, they have been our shadows to where-ever we go, it felt like forever sometimes. Still, just trust that one day, that 'bad image of yourself' will simply be gone. Maybe you can try wearing that short now, and keep looking at the mirror while SMILING and giggling, and feel proud, try to do this as many times as you could. Well, logically, we cannot expect that years and years of our bad image of ourselves that we have stuck in our brain, will simply get suppressed with just a few looks of our new body at the mirror?

This isn't based on any scientific facts, but I just take it as a logic. Brain is like a storage of memories; bad and good. All these years, we have been keeping too much of bad images - and to kill that bad images? Well, you can't really change your past memory, but you can create NEW BETTER good memories. Make as many as BEAUTIFUL images of yourself (e,g look at the mirror wearing nice clothe and complimenting yourself), with God's will, by time, you will 'forget' that bad images of your past without you even realising it, simply because you are now too absorbed with your new SEXY image (that you 'forgot' you once had a bad image of yourself!) :))

Myself has been struggling with bad body image, honestly. I am currently in a long-distant relationship with a guy - a very handsome, well-built :') Funny thing is, he is the kind of guy that I would run away from, because I often feel inferior to these 'hot' guys. However, as fate has played its part, we are now in a relationship, not a smooth one though. Most of the times it is because of my low self-confidence of how ugly I feel I am, that makes me jealous of his sexy girlfriends and other things.

Long story short, I am going to meet him next month, I don't have much time left, about 2-3 weeks only. During this mean time, I am preparing my body, my face and my mental (especially) before meeting him. I don't want to be perfect, but as best as I could be. I have insecurities if he felt I am fat, ugly etc etc in the real life. And this meeting is crucial for me, because we're going to discuss about our problems - either to end, or to continue for marriage. If we were going to end, it will hurt my ego so much and my confidence of my 'beauty'. That's why I have been working more - if I were going to be his memory, I want to be a beautiful memory of a beautiful lady. And if we were going to continue, we will surely get physically intimate, and I want to feel confident on my own skin.

So, everyday I have been working myself for our meeting, and it isn't easy to change our old mindset about ourselves. So, whenever you're feeling down, remember that, there are loads of people that have been having the same insecurities and stuck with our bad images like you. What we have to do is, keep saying to ourselves in the mirror and believing how beautiful we are - inside and outside. (Oh well, I am motivating myself too now, funny, hehe :) )

I am soooo sorry for this long reply! Stay happy and blessed <3
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that you will struggle with self image "until you get your body exactly how you want it to be". Some of us think that. We think "As long as we get to X weight, I'll be happy." Then we get to X weight and we think, "Okay, now I just want to be at X-10 weight, then I'll be happy." And it keeps going. Then we find that we are never happy, even though we lost a crap ton of weight and probably look amazing.

You need to do some work on yourself. I have struggled with body image and self worth issues for years, and it sucks. Even if you don't feel comfortable in those shorts, wear them anyway. You know that they fit. You just have this image in your head of what you think you look like, what you see in the mirror, and what you actually look like. If they fit, chances are you look fantastic in them, despite what your brain is saying.

Think of all the positive things about yourself that aren't related to weight as well. Great smile, great attitude, etc. Allow those things to show. Prove you aren't just a number on a scale, but so much more than that. I think in general that a person looks best when they are confident, no matter how much they weigh. I've seen skinny mini girls who pull inside themselves and always look at the floor or are constantly worrying about how many calories a stick of gum has, and I've seen overweight girls who walk into a room and own it like they're the best thing that could have happened at that moment. The latter has always seemed way more attractive to me. Confidence is an awesome thing, just try to remind yourself of that.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    :) yeah. i was caught between a 12/14 for a while and then after losing 23 pounds i realized i was going to have to get new pants or become "pantless Ash" at work. i gave myself a panic attack before going to goodwill (because i just couldn't face going to target or the mall for some reason to do this and i don't have a lot of money to buy a whole new wardrobe either.) i didn't even know where to start. i ended up in 8's. a rare 6. and i still grab the 12's and xl sizes out of habit. same thing happened when i had to get new bras and undies. (not at goodwill though.) i forget i'm trying to fit grapefruits instead of melons now. i still see myself as the same size, just a slightly different shape. the rest of the world seems to have another opinion. :happy:
  • whycantregister
    Options
    Think of all the positive things about yourself that aren't related to weight as well. Great smile, great attitude, etc. Allow those things to show. Prove you aren't just a number on a scale, but so much more than that. I think in general that a person looks best when they are confident, no matter how much they weigh. I've seen skinny mini girls who pull inside themselves and always look at the floor or are constantly worrying about how many calories a stick of gum has, and I've seen overweight girls who walk into a room and own it like they're the best thing that could have happened at that moment. The latter has always seemed way more attractive to me. Confidence is an awesome thing, just try to remind yourself of that.

Well said, I agreed! Confidence isn't born in a day or two, it takes practice, patience and time. May one day, all of us will be healthier (physically AND mentally), be happy for whoever we are, and be confident :)

Good luck to everyone who's been suffering from bad images! (including myself, of course :D )
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A guy at work paid me a compliment in front of others. My reaction was 'meh'. He replied "ok doll, no worries". It started an office debate about the subject of self image.

His point was "I could tell her she looks great but if she doesn't believe it herself, then it's not true". That was a fair while ago now and still rings in my ears.

Until the things that were happening to you, around you, with you, for you, by you at (what you perceive is) your worst start to change then your perception of yourself isn't likely to either.

Perhaps its worth taking a little time to consider what those things were and see where they stand today - do they still exist? have they changed at all?

Only you can convince you of your outstanding achievements and how amazing you are for what you've done ... but it sure as hell doesn't hurt to receive some well intended compliments and applause! From me you get a standing ovation! *clap clap clap clap clap*
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I pick up a pair of pants that actually will fit me and i think, no way will I get these on. Samething with XL tshirts... they just look so small! Glad I do not need to rock the XXL or even XXXL anymore. But it still is how I see myself 90% of the time.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    I have been here for 7 months and yesterday for the first time ever,someone sent a fr with a "Hey handsome".I laughed liky crazy for the next 5 mins thinking what is wrong with her eyesight and immediately denied her request.I have issues :(
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    Confession time: I've had major problems with self-image in the past and, it's getting better now, but in like junior year of high school it got so bad that I just stopped going to school at the end of the year because I didn't want people to see me.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We constantly seek improvement. That's why my 15 pound weight loss goal became 20. Then my 20 pound weight loss became lower BF percentage. Than that became increase strength. It's good to want to keep improving.
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am forever winding my BF off. He now rarely pays me a compliment becuase he either gets a shut up/no i dont/stop lying/your just saying that! he has said that its makes him not want to say anything! I look in the mirror and HATE how i look. I question why he is even with me! I try not to be so low on myself - but nothing changes! :-( grrr just wish i was happy with myself!
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hopefully our minds catch up with our bodies. Mine hasn't, but it's getting better. I still sometimes see myself as the size 18 girl I started out as, as opposed to the size 8 girl I am now. Just keep working, and know that meeting a goal weight/size doesn't mean it will automatically go away. It's just something you have to work on regardless of where you are in the process.

Good luck!
  • whycantregister
    Options
    I am forever winding my BF off. He now rarely pays me a compliment becuase he either gets a shut up/no i dont/stop lying/your just saying that! he has said that its makes him not want to say anything! I look in the mirror and HATE how i look. I question why he is even with me! I try not to be so low on myself - but nothing changes! :-( grrr just wish i was happy with myself!

Uffff! I know that feeling! I question most of the times too, sigh. I feel sorry for our bf. :S

Have your bf ever said anything how importance a good health/ body image to him? my bf is very concerned about health and good body (though he is a smoker, still, he takes a good care of his body, and that's understandable he's expecting the same from his partner -_- ), I once thought it's annoying and exhausting to keep up a good body as to please him (and so i wont feel inferior too). But, if to be looked in a positive way, if it isn't because of him at the first place, I might keep slacking off until today. (and of course, I am now doing it because I want to please myself too - who doesn't want to look good and happy with ourselves right)
  • akaivyleaf
    akaivyleaf Posts: 6
    Options
    It takes the mind a while to process the physical changes weight loss brings about. I believe that to be perfectly normal. The mind shields us and protects us from a lot of things, so changing our mental picture is in some cases a lot slower than the physical act of shedding pounds. It will come with time.

Another example is a person with an amputated limb. That person feels that limb as being present for a LONG time before the mind and body adjust to its absence.

This entire journey involves both mind and body.
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Uffff! I know that feeling! I question most of the times too, sigh. I feel sorry for our bf. :S

Have your bf ever said anything how importance a good health/ body image to him? my bf is very concerned about health and good body (though he is a smoker, still, he takes a good care of his body, and that's understandable he's expecting the same from his partner -_- ), I once thought it's annoying and exhausting to keep up a good body as to please him (and so i wont feel inferior too). But, if to be looked in a positive way, if it isn't because of him at the first place, I might keep slacking off until today. (and of course, I am now doing it because I want to please myself too - who doesn't want to look good and happy with ourselves right)

I do feel sorry for him! he was with me before i put weight on, because of steroids. He stayed with me, i then joined a slimming club and lost 2 stone, lost further inches but no more weight and been back on steroids, now doing MFP and hoping to lose weight! he has never once said he didnt find me attractive but i think so low about myself i dont understand why he is with me!

He is underweight himself and 'cant' put weight on and this annoys him! he went to the gym for a whicl to build up but it wasnt working so he gave it up! he eats what he wants and doesnt excercise apart from walks we go on. he doesnt smoke but eats and drinks crap! he tries to help me by saying what about this...this is low calorei...but i then say why do you think i need to lose weight! im a night mare haha! he never puts pressure on me to lose weight. he has loved me smaller and bigger. maybe i just need to learn to love myself lol? he says the cutest things just wish i would belive him!

You should want to look good for yourself but we so often want to look good for others!!!
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! At least I know I'm not alone :) I wish my mind would catch up with the reality but it's just hard at times. Pictures do help. For example, my profile picture is October 2012 and then just a few days ago and I can see a huge difference. But then I go look in the mirror and start picking out all the flaws I still have. ;p I'm sure hoping it gets better eventually!
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else still have trouble with self-image? I mean, I feel better about myself than I have in years, but like this morning-I pulled out the new shorts I bought that are the size I am now and thought "No way these will fit my fat behind." Well they do--perfectly--but I can't seem to get past the image I have of myself at almost 300 lbs...Anyone else struggle with this?

Almost everyday. I often look at myself (or at people who are near the weight I used to be) and can hear a distinct voice that says "I am still that size." The only real solution I have found is to continually remind myself that this is not the case. I don't know that the voice well ever go away (after all, you do have distinct, real memories of being your former size, so in sense it IS still real, for one part of you) but in my experience, the voice does get softer. You just have to be ready to respond to it when it arises.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    defintely me! I have lost 71 pounds so far in a 2 1/2 year period went from a size 26W down to a size 14/16 feel like you do still struggle with the same issue so you are not alone by any means.
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

His point was "I could tell her she looks great but if she doesn't believe it herself, then it's not true". That was a fair while ago now and still rings in my ears.

^^^ too true!! Don't let the world define you! Make your own reality, and in it, BE GORGEOUS!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I could write out my whole story, but I'll save you the grief of reading it.

Yes, I struggle with self esteem. Yes I struggle with self image. Yes I struggle with weight (both ways, My Senior Year in high school I weighted 92 lbs)

Yes I've lost 8.5 so far, but I still think I'm fat (I'm 131 lbs, but I can see the rolls of fat and flawed areas and I FREAK out because I'm not where I want to be even though I am trying I feel like I get nowhere.)

My boyfriend really does try and compliment me, tell me I look nice, that's I'm pretty... I just don't think he feels that way because I don't even see myself that way, how can anyone else?

You're not alone, trust me.