Eating back exercise calories

Options
Hello I am sure this has been posted many times before but do you have to eat back your exercise calories? I see people doing both. What is your opinion and what has worked for you?

Replies

• bjkalb
    bjkalb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've heard both ways. MFP is set up for you to 'eat back' the calories you burned while exercising. While working with a nutritionist at the local hospital, she said absolutely not. Do not eat the calories back. Is is part of your calorie deficient to lose weight. I do not eat them back, but if I should happen to go over, I know I'm covered if I exercised that day. :)
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I depends of what you choice for the question lifestyle.
    If it is part of that, don't eat back.
    Else, eat them back or leave some for a rainy day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat them back, but also save them up in case I want to eat something amazing later in the week.
  • trollydollymolly
    trollydollymolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not eat my exercise calories back. I work so hard burning them off, why the hell would I go through that for nothing!!!

That's just me... others view it differently!
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method, then the calorie goal calculated doesn't include exercise calories so any exercise pushes your deficit even further down. Because you don't want to push that deficit too far down is the reason to eat back all or some of your exercise calories. A lot depends on your initial deficit without exercise and how much exercise you performed.

Now, if you are using the TDEE - X% method, then your calorie goal is supposed to have your estimated exercise calories already taken into account. You technically are eating your exercise calories back, but it's not as apparent because it's built into your target calories.
  • Josiebum
    Josiebum Posts: 11
    Options
    This confuses me too! If I eat back the calories from exercise does that mean the exercise I've done won't do me any good (as in toning/weight loss)? I've only been using about 100 of them a day. Help muchly appreciated!:flowerforyou:
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them back and its worked for me , and i am now fitter as well .
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat back some but not all. Kinda depends how hungry I am on a particular day and what kid of workout I had. If I have a lot of calories burned from lots of activity, I'm more likely to eat some back since I know I have a little extra cushion and still have a deficit. I would feel like I'm working out for nothing if I ate them all back all the time.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    Most of you don't understand at all how MFP works. So, I'll just say, in theory, if you do not eat back your exercise calories, you create too large of a deficit for healthy weight loss because in the number MFP provides, a deficit is already provided.

And for the person who said their nutritionist said not to eat back exercise cals, I'm 100% positive you did not paint he picture properly. Next time, tell them that here is already a calorie deficit built in for you to lose 1 lb per week. So, you eat back your calories to maintain that deficit. If she still thinks you shouldn't, fire her because she's an idiot.

It really depends on how a person has their MFP set up. I customized my own goals and I do not eat my exercise calories back. To give the OP decent advice, each person would have to disclose how their goals are set.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much I burn through exercise, I probably eat about 30% back.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Most of you don't understand at all how MFP works. So, I'll just say, in theory, if you do not eat back your exercise calories, you create too large of a deficit for healthy weight loss because in the number MFP provides, a deficit is already provided.

And for the person who said their nutritionist said not to eat back exercise cals, I'm 100% positive you did not paint he picture properly. Next time, tell them that here is already a calorie deficit built in for you to lose 1 lb per week. So, you eat back your calories to maintain that deficit. If she still thinks you shouldn't, fire her because she's an idiot.
    This - took the words right outta my mouth.
  • Dr_Stav
    Dr_Stav Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Depends on the aim of using MFP.

My objective of using the app and site is to maintain mass while increasing fitness, so my exercise regime can be more on the heavy side. I don't want to loose mass, rather convert excess fat to muscle for endurance, therefore my approach is to judge what my output is/will be compared to my input.

For example;

I plan to ride a 100 miles on a Saturday morning, therefore I will carb load on the Friday night. My Friday total will be way over my daily projection, but I know I'll more than burn it the following morning. I'll ride the 100 miles with sports nutritional products during the day, get home, chocolate milkshake for recovery, shower, then work out my budget. I'll tend to lean towards more protein based foods than normal (muscle repair and recovery) and replace lost carbs. Finally, I'll eat sensibly for the rest of the day to balance my 48hr allowance so my net calorific value by the end of Saturday will be neutral. The cardio will have benefited my body (increased endurance, respiratory function etc) but by balancing the in's and out's, I'm preventing damage by allowing muscles to repair.

On a daily basis, I'll always come within around +-10% of my calorific budget, but I exercise daily (cycle commuting) so around an hour of fat burning a day trades the fat for muscle. If I was wanting to loose mass, then I'd decrease my inputs, but only in a controlled way.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

This. If you set your activity level and goals correctly then MFP includes a deficit in your goal so that you can lose without exercise. If you are still very obese you can afford the bigger deficit, to a point. Closer you are to goal you should keep a smaller deficit to help ensure FAT loss, not just weight loss. Weight loss includes muscle loss, which you do not want.
  • don3rd1981
    don3rd1981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I set my calorie goal manually and do all the math on the calories and macros I need. I have my activity level set for 2, which means I exercise 3 days a week (weight training). I don't eat back the calories for the weight training because it's already built into my calorie limit math. I also do a lot of commuting by bicycle. That I do eat back or I'll go way too far below my calorie limit. So in short, I don't eat back what's already been calculated in, but anything extra I do.
  • ktarter22
    ktarter22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If im not hungry I do not eat my exercise cal. It depends on how you feel. For me I stay at the 1200 cal a day and maintain losing 1-2 lbs a week on average. Let ur body tell u what u need! Just make smart choices ????
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Using MFP calculations: Yes, that is how the site is set up. You NET your caloric goal, ex 1200 calories.
    Using TDEE method: No, exercise is already accounted for.

I swear, this is like the song that doesn't end. It just goes on and on, my friends...
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is a great explanation.

If you are using the MFP method, then the calorie goal calculated doesn't include exercise calories so any exercise pushes your deficit even further down. Because you don't want to push that deficit too far down is the reason to eat back all or some of your exercise calories. A lot depends on your initial deficit without exercise and how much exercise you performed.

Now, if you are using the TDEE - X% method, then your calorie goal is supposed to have your estimated exercise calories already taken into account. You technically are eating your exercise calories back, but it's not as apparent because it's built into your target calories.
    [/quote]
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'll eat some more if I do a lot of working out with weights / cardio and if I don't want to feel tired out the next day.

Otherwise, I stick to my goal of 1500 or 1600 (300 calories or so below daily expenditure with exercise already added).

I have a fairly active standing job in addition to the exercise I do, so I know that my metabolism is a lot faster than MPF calculates for me. I could likely eat back my exercise calories and still lose weight.