Opinion/thoughts on cars....

Options
Amberh82
Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
OK, so my car was totalled by a hail storm a few weeks and now it is time to look at new ones...right now I have a Toyota Solora but I am looking into 2 others....so i'm wanting opinions because I don't know much about either. I'm also open to any other suggestions....

.who has an Infinity? give me the pros and cons..do you like it? who has a Hyundai? pros, cons? I'm looking into those to next potentially....

Replies

• hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Those are no fun...you should totally go for the Audi RS 5....it'll blow those cars out of the water...(probably blow your budget too though....)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The stereo system is FAR more important than the wheeled box hauling it around.

ETA I drive a Nissan Maxima, and I've found it to be exceptionally solid and reliable.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    My mechanic highly recommends Infiniti - inexpensive to maintain and if properly cared for, will run forever. If you want something w/some power and luxury, get the M-series (35 or 37) - well appointed. He also recommends Acura for same reasons.

I am shopping for a car as well....am trying to decide between '10 Audi A4 and '06-'07 Jag XJ8....
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Infinity is just an expensive Nissan with slightly nicer trim.

Hyundai as a company has really stepped up while the Japanese automakers have sat back and collected money.

Kia and Hyundai (same company in their home-country) have some of the best warranties around. I bought my wife a new Kia Optima in November and have zero complaints about it.

I bought myself a new Mazda 3 2 months ago and like it better than her Optima, although it is a bit smaller, it (actually) gets around 40mpg.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for passenger space, fuel economy, sportiness, luxury, quality, cheap on maintenance?

The Solara is a great car and any of the Toyotas in the level will be fine. Same with the Honda. The Infinity is going to cost more and it's really just a Nissan.

For 2013, I like the Honda Accord the Toyota Camry. You could save a little and get a Civic or a Carolla. If you need a little sportiness, you can get the Carolla S or the Civic Si.

I only wish American cars held their value and had the better quality record. They still have a ways to go.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Those are no fun...you should totally go for the Audi RS 5....it'll blow those cars out of the water...(probably blow your budget too though....)

I would love to have an Audi RS 5! Love those cars!

I have a Mazda 3, and absolutely love it. Mine is a manual transmission, gets great gas milage and is super fun to drive. But that is just my thougths! Have fun car shopping!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    New 2012/2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium .... great cars !! I work at the plant in Chattanooga,TN. We work hard to make a great quality car. This model will get you around 37mpg combined all the time. (I know 1st hand, I have one) Last 200,000 mi plus. And has PLENTY of room in it, and in the trunk. I am 6'2" and my 6'4" brother can sit directly behind me with plenty of leg room. And they have great financing options right now also !!
  • hsmaldo
    Options
    New 2012/2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium .... great cars !! I work at the plant in Chattanooga,TN. We work hard to make a great quality car. This model will get you around 37mpg combined all the time. (I know 1st hand, I have one) Last 200,000 mi plus. And has PLENTY of room in it, and in the trunk. I am 6'2" and my 6'4" brother can sit directly behind me with plenty of leg room. And they have great financing options right now also !!

LOVE LOVE LOVE our Jetta TDI...our 2002 gets 48 mpg and has 260K on it and still running GREAT.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for passenger space, fuel economy, sportiness, luxury, quality, cheap on maintenance?

The Solara is a great car and any of the Toyotas in the level will be fine. Same with the Honda. The Infinity is going to cost more and it's really just a Nissan.

For 2013, I like the Honda Accord the Toyota Camry. You could save a little and get a Civic or a Carolla. If you need a little sportiness, you can get the Carolla S or the Civic Si.

I only wish American cars held their value and had the better quality record. They still have a ways to go.

I'm single and just looking for something I like when I test drive it. I'm also short so that rules out a lot of cars because I can't see over the dash. I don't mind spending a little on maintenance but nothing crazy, but I also don't want something that a wreck with a bicycle will total (plus I live in Houston - lots of traffic and big trucks) and I don't want something that breaks down all the time. Other than that, I just want a dependable car. I loved my Solara...sad to see it go
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    A lot of cars come with seats that adjust in height in addition to forward/backward, in addition you could look for something with a telescoping steering wheel that can adjust it down so it interferes less w/your line of sight.
  • justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I own a Subaru and love it! My only issue with Hyundai is for the price you can get a Toyota or Honda (which has long standing reliability). I've haven't researched infiniti much.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    You should look at the Sonata 2.0T or the Genesis coupe. Hyundai makes a quality product and gives you more for less...As long as you are not that concerned with resale value, Hyundai is a superior product.,
  • hsmaldo
    Options
    If you loved your Toyota, maybe you could go for a Corolla S. Mine is a 2003 with 155K and I still have not had any major maintenance costs. It's sporty and fun to drive (I have a 5 speed) and gets 34 mpg on average. I'm going to be sad to see it go as well...but I don't see that happening for another 3-4 years...

My IL's had a Hyundai Elantra and it just seemed kind of cheaply made...they bought it around the same time I got my Corolla, but after 2-3 years, it seemed to have aged twice as much (even though they used it half as often) as my car. This was in the mid-2000's, so they could've gotten better since then...but I'd still stick with the Toyota over Hyundai.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    How about a Dodge Dart? Cute, about the same size. I'm short (5 feet) and have never had trouble seeing over the dash in a Dodge vehicle.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you have the budget, go for the Infinity, but if not, they are made by Nissan and other than some luxury upgrades they are relatively the same cars as the upper end Nissans.

That said, I personally have a 2009 VW Jetta Sport wagon and I freaking love this car.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I have one...
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm leasing a 2013 Nissan Sentra SL...I LOVE IT! It's redesigned this year and it has lots and lots of features. Also, Nissan is running a big incentive sale right now. If you are looking at Infiniti's...take a look at the Nissans. Same cars, same engineers, many of same features, smaller price tags.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your priorities are as far as requirements but mine were safety (particularly for snow as I'm in the northeast), fuel economy, reliability & comfort. We did a ton of research and Subaru won out. We opted for the complete package & every option, get 28-35 MPG & it's an AWD (Impreza). It's the Insurance Institute of America's (among others) top safety pick as well.
  • TheNewStacie
    TheNewStacie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @Amber - We live just south of Houston and thankfully missed last week's hail, but so sorry you were caught in the middle.

To answer your 2 choices, between an Infinity and a Hyundai, I'd go for Hyundai. They've definitely upgraded their look and style, and in the long run will be cheaper. Especially with insurance in Houston (think of the last Infinity you saw on I-45, was it doing the speed limit?)

As for a car in general, like someone else mentioned almost all the new cars come with an option to raise the seat. I'm only 5', drive a new Dodge Durango, and thankfully the seat raises and the steering wheel telescopes. Drive multiple vehicles and see what you feel comfortable in. The new VW's are very nice and last, I'd go for a Nissan over an Infinity. I had a Corolla S and loved it. Biggest thing is shop around, if you find a vehicle you love, go to different dealers (DON'T run your credit) and see what they try and sell you. Good Luck!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I am shopping for a car as well....am trying to decide between '10 Audi A4 and '06-'07 Jag XJ8....
    Do NOT get a Jaguar unless you have lots of time and money to spend, for it'll be in the shop all the time.

Audi is a solid choice.