Hi Everybody!. I'm new here!

Options
Hi Everybody!. I am new here and I have decided to begin my weight loss journey! :). I am 30 years old and the proud mother of 2 boys. Here is my story :).

When I met my current boyfriend, I was a little overweight (5'8 and about 170lbs). Months later I decided to change my eating habits (snacking mostly) and exercising more and I ended up losing quite a substantial amount of weight! (got down to 140lbs). I looked good, I felt good and my boyfriend was always saying how great I looked!. Then slowly, I began to snack again a little....and then a little bit more, and then a little bit more.....and the exercise stopped....and now I am right back to where I was when I first met him (and actually weighing a little bit more; I am actually now about 10lbs heavier than I was when we first met). I don't really look that bad but you can see the love handles, the bigger belly, bigger thighs, etc.... Unfortunately, it has really affected my self esteem and I am very self conscious now. My boyfriend has agreed that I have put on a good amount of weight but that he is still attracted to me, but he says if I don't change my eating and exercise habits soon, the weight will just keep accumulating. I know he's right and finally today was the day I decided to make the change!.

I have decided to cut my calories to about 1250 a day. I'm not exactly sure the number of calories I was consuming before, but I do know by the amount I was eating and all the snacks I was eating, it was quite a lot. I also plan on exercising for at least an hour a day and start going to some classes that my gym (I joined a gym about 5 months ago but only went once or twice a week at the most and for about a half hour a day, so not much) offers like total body sculpt, zumba, etc.... and really start getting my body moving!. Today, I walked to my apartment complex gym which is about half a mile to 3/4 of a mile each way and used the elliptical machine for a half hour. I burned 265 calories on the elliptical and from what this site is saying about my walking, I burned about 136 calories with a total of 401 calories!. I honestly feel great!. As soon as I got home, I grabbed a big glass of water and I felt and feel so empowered!. I'm really going to push myself to stay on track and really get this weight off :).

I do have one concern though, and if anybody would be able to share some opinions on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it! :). A little over a year ago (April 13, 2012) I had a hysterectomy due to a number of issues. I had my uterus and cervix removed but I still have both my ovaries. I have read numerous articles saying that weight gain after a hysterectomy is very common and now I'm worried that I won't be able to lose this weight. I do know that my weight gain was primarily because of my lack of exercising and my eating habits but I'm worried that maybe my hysterectomy had a LITTLE bit to do with it. I'm just very concerned that I will do all this work, cut my calories down, and nothing will change because of a hormone imbalance due to my surgery. Has anybody here had a hysterectomy and lost the weight or know anything about this subject?. If so, any advice you can share would be very much appreciated!.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you throughout our journey's! :)

Replies

• JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Feel free to add me, I'll be happy to help. I have about 24lbs left until I reach my goal after battling weight for YEARS. One step at a time.
  • elysehunt
    elysehunt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have thyroiditis (auto-immune) and it directly attacks my metabolism. Truthfully, from the heart, as long as you have "mind over matter" you can and will lose weight. I tried RX diet pills for a while right after I was diagnosed and was gaining weight like crazy...and when they didn't work I realized that it all boils down to me and truly putting in the hard work and effort. I'm not sure about a hystorectomy (excuse my spelling, I think it's wrong), but I do know that if you look in the mirror and tell yourself that you're going to lose the weight, then you're going to lose the weight. I personally know two women who have had the same procedures as you and one of them has successfully lost weight and the other was already morbidly obese and she continues to be morbidly obese. I also suggest not cutting your calories too drastically. If I eat less than 1300 calories a day I feel absolutely horrible. I get dizzy, nauseated, and cranky. MyFitnessPal is a little low on the calorie intake side. Here is my advice: Write down/log everything you eat for 3 days, without cutting calories. Let's say you consume 2000 calories a day on average. Then I would cut it down to 1500 and walk for 20 minutes a day. This calorie cut is not too shocking and will not put your body into starvation mode (aka: hold on to the fat for safekeeping), and the exercise will rev up your metabolism and give you some energy. My mother is a registered dietitian and has taught me a lot about proper eating. I admit, I don't always follow it, but when I start to feel out of control with over-eating, I always turn back to what she has taught me. :) Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT! WE CAN DO IT!
  • kliermann
    kliermann Posts: 514
    Options
    welcome friend feel free to add me i need to lose inches off my waist more than weight but im here for assistance if you need it
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Me and the boyfriend have both gained weight since getting together lol. I think it's just that "comfort zone". Luckily though I found some motivation and am so close to my goal! :D Bonus, the boyfriend has lost a bit of weight as well :) I think it's because I've slowly been making slightly healthy choices with our grocery lists and our suppers (sneaky I know lol, oh well who can't use a little extra veggies right?).
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    A little over a year ago (April 13, 2012) I had a hysterectomy due to a number of issues. I had my uterus and cervix removed but I still have both my ovaries. I have read numerous articles saying that weight gain after a hysterectomy is very common and now I'm worried that I won't be able to lose this weight. I do know that my weight gain was primarily because of my lack of exercising and my eating habits but I'm worried that maybe my hysterectomy had a LITTLE bit to do with it. I'm just very concerned that I will do all this work, cut my calories down, and nothing will change because of a hormone imbalance due to my surgery. Has anybody here had a hysterectomy and lost the weight or know anything about this subject?. If so, any advice you can share would be very much appreciated!.
    You kept your ovaries, so you shouldn't have any hormone imbalance issues as long as they weren't damaged in the procedure - and I think you'd probably know by now if they were. Good luck!
  • Trekmum
    Trekmum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was always the "skinny" one in the group at 5'3" and 105 lbs. I ate anything I wanted and never exercised. Then it happened, after my second child I was diagnosed and had a total hysterectomy. Everything, including the ovaries. My mother-in-law visited me in the hospital and she said to me, "You'll get fat now." It was like a dire prediction, because over the years I have gained 65 lbs.

Can't blame it on stress anymore, or the hysterectomy - it's me and my bad habits. I don't expect to be 105 lbs. ever again, but my doctor wants me to lose at least 40 lbs. I'd be happy to be your friend.