A good meal replacment bar/shake.

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
Hello,
Does anyone have any strong feelings, one way or the other, about adding meal replacement bars or shakes to your weight loss plan? If you do recommend them, do you have any advice/suggestions for a good one?

For example, Myoplex bars. Last time I had one (around eight years ago) I would have to plug my nose while eating it becuase it was so gross. It was like eating chocolate covered lead.

Thanks!

Replies

• pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm personally skeptical of "meal replacements" - why not just have a meal? I think one of the most crucial things about weight loss is making it about a total change in lifestyle in habits (that can be maintained), and not about being on a "diet". Unless you plan to eat or drink meal replacements forever, you'd invest your time better in discovering low-calorie/fat meals that appeal to your palette and that are easy enough to prepare, or pack on the go.

That said, SNACK replacements are a blessing from the flying spaghetti monster. There are a number of great granola and supplement bars out there to help you meet your macros, and help keep you from getting sick of fruit/veg snacks. I personally love Luna Protein bars - 190 calories, and a butt-ton of protein. Same for protein powder drinks - low cal, low fat, low sugar, high protein snack. An apple just doesn't pack the same punch.
  • Vehicon
    Vehicon Posts: 22
    Options
    I was under the impression that meal replacement bars were mainly for people who didn't have enough time or resources (living in a Single Room Occupancy and not having a wide variety of cooking appliances, for example) to cook.

Of course, I am sure there are people who consume them who fall outside of those categories.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love ThinkThin Bars for Breakfast! Low carb, high protein and the sugar alcohol is only 10-11g per bar. I eat them because I am not that hungry in the morning and most "breakfast" stuff is loaded with carbs. I wanted a quick, easy breakfast that was high protein and not eggs every morning. With the bars I get a variety of flavors and I actually like the taste of them!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't have time during the week to make a good breakfast so meal replacement shakes and bars have been my go to for years. For a long time I just did the SlimFast ones. They taste good and they are quick. But I found out last year that I need to limit my carbs and up my protein so now I make protein shakes using whey powder, peanut butter, milk, and strawberries. I love that one. Sometimes if I don't have time for even that I grab a Nature Valley Protein Bar. I like the Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate flavor. They are filling and pack a good punch at 10 grams of protein, 5g of fiber for 190 cals.

Like pestopoli said. I like having a full meal when I have the time but until I am not working full time and working out and running a household which in the next years will only get more hectic with kids I will continue to use them for breakfast. :smile:
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider it 'replacement'. I love drinking one meal, and look forward to it every day. Though starting very soon I'll just be making my own from scratch.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have 6 small meals a day, 3 shakes and 3 meals. If I am pushed for time I will replace one with a protein bar (low fat/carbs high protein) and do not see the harm as long as your getting your nutrients in.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i have a protien shake for bfast most days - saves time. and is just enough in my belly before a workout.
    i have some snickers marathon bars on hand in case in need a snack or addition to my meal.

i don't see anything wrong with these methods, so long as they are used as they should be, as supplements - not as the only thing someone survives on.

i'm pretty cheap & picky w/ protein bars but i've heard quest & cliff bars are good...
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Great info here. I use them as snack replacements as I'm trying to build muscle. I used low calorie snacks when I was just losing weight. Most people who are losing weight do not need the extra calories, unless they are lifting heavy weights to build muscle, which creates a whole new scenario.

PS: I tried a ZONE bar Double Chocolate yesterday, and it rocked my world. Someone said it is soy, not WHEY, however. And whey is better for muscle conversation apparently. In any case, they are YUMMY!
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options

PS: I tried a ZONE bar Double Chocolate yesterday, and it rocked my world. Someone said it is soy, not WHEY, however. And whey is better for muscle conversation apparently. In any case, they are YUMMY!

ZONE bars are THE NUTS! Soooo good
  • Chicrider
    Chicrider Posts: 17
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Whey after my morning cardio due to being short on time to eat. It provides my body with good amount of protien & carbs. Its not really a meal replacement drink in my daily plan just a way to get quick fuel into my body. It can be found at any GNC, VItamin Shoppe or on Bodyspace.com
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Does anyone have any strong feelings, one way or the other, about adding meal replacement bars or shakes to your weight loss plan? If you do recommend them, do you have any advice/suggestions for a good one?

For example, Myoplex bars. Last time I had one (around eight years ago) I would have to plug my nose while eating it becuase it was so gross. It was like eating chocolate covered lead.

Thanks!

It really doesn't matter if you incorporate shakes/bars, they are useful if you have trouble meeting protein requirements or in a pinch, but they offer no special benefits for weight loss that whole food doesn't offer. And whole foods tend to be more satiating

inb4shakeology
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    inb4shakeology
    [/quote]

^^^ yes!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Not a meal replacement but Quest is my go to for some protein and fiber. Seriously, the best tasting protein bar I have ever tried. Between 170-200 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 17 grams of fiber on average. I get them at GNC. Kinda expensive, but they are sooo good nuked for about 10 seconds.
  • JakeHoyes
    JakeHoyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    stay away from meal replacement bars. they are nothing more than a glorified Snickers with some protein added to it
  • hmarhofer
    hmarhofer Posts: 6
    Options
    I've lost 15 lbs in the last month using body by vi shakes. They're yummy and I notice i don't crave sweets.