New to MFP - need friends and exercises for injured back.

Options
Hi! I'm Jennifer. I'm 5'4" and I would like to lose 50-60 pounds. I just had back surgery 6 months ago and I know that I need to lose this weight so it doesn't affect my lower back. Would like to find people who are in a similar situation and can help each other keep motivated. Also, if anyone knows any good exercise that I can do without hurting my back?

Replies

• kvetkaro
    kvetkaro Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has damaged the discs between two of his lumbar vertebrae, he is moving in with me next year, and I am hoping to help him gain som muscle help support his spine (as he is currently tall and skin and bones) -- so soon I will know lots of exercises!

He does a lot of tai chi - which though it is not much of a calorie burn it is very gentle on the spine.
    Certain yoga positions are good - but others are very uncomfortable so be careful with this one..

The best bet is to start out really gently - if you like I will add you and we can share back-exercise findings! :P
  • geriannwiesbrook
    geriannwiesbrook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist has me riding a stationary bike and lots of core exercises
  • kvetkaro
    kvetkaro Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    WOuld you say having a strong core helps support te back? Cause thats what I've heard, but my boyfriend doesn't believe me! :P
  • slandwer9
    slandwer9 Posts: 7
    Options
    I recently had back surgery #2. My PT isn't very good. All she tells me is things I can't do, which to me is almost everything. I'm trying to get the pounds off to delay the next surgery.
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Sweet_Kimmie Posts: 155
    Options
    Hey ladies, I had lower back surgery about 8 years ago. It's hard and scary to get back into things. Been there, done that. Speaking from my experience stretching often is important to keep that section moving. I started with walking and went to many low impact workouts. Ellipticals work well, no bouncing. Now I lift, lose more weight that way anyway, muscle burns fat. I use dumb bells in my home and am doing well with it. I mix in cardio. These are things that worked for me. Need a friend or want to talk, just message me. Good luck.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP !!! plz add me if you like
  • acctant2
    acctant2 Posts: 2
    Options
    When I was going to PT, she stated that a strong core muscles do help the back. And that is one thing I needed to work on plus stretching to become more flexible. I just can't afford PT so I need to try to do it on my own. I end up getting a blood clot in my leg two weeks after surgery. So the doctor told me that water fitness was a good way to get back into shape and not hard on the joints. I was trying to go but it was hard trying to get there right after work.
  • YankeesLvr52
    YankeesLvr52 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My son has back problems and swimming daily really helps him. Great no impact exercise.:smile:
  • ShaniB729
    ShaniB729 Posts: 18
    Options
    Needing motivation here too! Is yoga too much for you to do? It may help to strengthen some of those back and core muscles...