Defeating the Purpose?

Options
Flyntiggr
Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
Ok - so at the ripe old age of 39, I have to admit that I dislike most fruits and veggies. I'm trying, but it is hard. I'm adding fruits right now, and am on strawberries. My issue is, my brain seems to want everything sweeter - more like a strawberry Jolly Rancher flavor. So, am I defeating the purpose of the fresh fruit if I add a packet of Splenda to them in order to like the flavor more?

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think so because you could have something that has way more calories than those strawberries with sweetener but you aren't. Lots of people say chemical versions are worse but i say its up to you. Heck half the stuff we eat (and i don't mean the processed stuff) is stuff that will get us in the end anyways with the hormones and crap they use on it all. Look at meat, do we even know its really safe anymore? Even organic....nope we don't....
    I say have those strawberries and sweetener, its better than having that strawberry pie.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would use sugar (unless you have a medical reason to avoid it, of course). 16 calories a teaspoon, which should easily fit into your carb goal for the day, and makes strawberries juice up like crazy.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Now, this is probably going to cause a stir, but, instead of sugar try just a light sprinkling of salt. Salt brings out the natural flavors in most foods, and it really does make fruit taste, well, fruitier. Don't overdo it, don't do it at all if you have blood pressure issues, but it really does work.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you get ripened fruit that is in season then you really shouldn't need to make it any sweeter. I'd use cane sugar or honey before splenda, but that's just me...but either way, your taste buds need to get used to eating things that do not taste like Jolly Ranchers. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if your taste buds have changed.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Depends on the perspective.

If you follow the thought that calories = weight and less calories = less weight then I guess it's fine. But if you subscribe to the thought that the more natural the foods you eat, the more healthy you can be then I'd say, yes, it sort of defeats the point.
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You're defeating the purpose of teaching yourself to like the flavor of fruits by adding sugar to them. Fruit is sweet enough on its own once you get used to it.

I can guarantee that if you cut out other artificially sweetened foods and just stick to fruit for a few weeks you'll notice they taste wonderful on their own. In fact, I'm willing to bet if you do go back to artificially sweet stuff it will make your teeth hurt.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I believe that fruits and veggies have vitamins, minerals, etc. So, better to eat them than to not eat them.
    You should try a farmer's market, or buy organic. You might find more flavor, and your Splenda enhancement might become unnecessary. Or, get a cookbook. Many vegetables are really good and maybe if you prepared them well you would come to like them.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to this idea just like I add a little bit of cheese to my boiled squash. And... I suggest adding cheese to veggies to get your kids to eat them. A little bit won't kill you and if it gets you (or your kids) to eat something healthy... great. Maybe someday you will find yourself eating them without anything added because the taste has grown on you :)
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Maybe try roasting some veggies... if you roast them really well, their natural sweetness comes out. The first time I had roast cauliflower I couldn't freaking believe how delicious it was. Carrots are also amazing roasted. Zucchini. I could go on and on :)

Or maybe try some different fruits that really don't require extra sweetness... maybe some fresh pineapple or oranges? I don't think they could get any sweeter!
  • 58cayo
    58cayo Posts: 26
    Options
    Well, "at the ripe old age of 39" you know that sometimes you have to do what you don't like. With that said, I think that you are trying to trick yourself into thinking that the fruit is something else, it won't work. No matter how much sweetener you put on your fruit it won't be candy, cookies, pie, cake, or whatever other sweet you really want. But if added sweetener is the only way that you can eat fruit and veggies, so be it, but don't be surprise if your weight loss or maintenance is affected, negatively. It's wonderful to have choices, but they cost.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For the nutritional value eat em any way you want.....if a packet of splenda is what it takes...so what.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For the nutritional value eat em any way you want.....if a packet of splenda is what it takes...so what.

Because the OP is an adult? If someone cannot eat something unless it is "as sweet as a Jolly Rancher," there is something wrong there. That is an unhealthy habit that needs to be broken. Pouring Splenda (eww) or any other type of sweetner on it, no matter the source, is not going to break that habit.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    in my experience, stick with it for a couple weeks and your taste buds will come around. eventually, you'll think of adding splenda and go 'ewwwww'.

i had a sip of a friend's Sprite yesterday after a couple months soda free (and I -love- soda). It was... disgusting. Like, I couldn't even taste the flavor I remember Sprite having behind the pure sugar-burst.

We get used to what we do. Fruit is rich in flavor, but you've got years and years of mental self-reinforcement telling you that you don't like it. Stick with it, and I bet you'll be surprised.