Protein Before or After Training?? So confused...

Options
I have read in several places you should eat some protein before training. Then I read, you should eat protein after training.
So, which is it?? I'm confused and want to keep the weight loss going.

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. There's no reputable study showing that protein timing has any measurable effect on muscle growth or weight management, so long as your daily protein intake is adequate.
  • apaleous
    apaleous Posts: 6
    Options
    The correct answer would be both, and it's ideal to eat most of your carbohydrates around your preworkout and postworkout meals.

I don't know your macros so I can't advise on that, but It's good to eat a snack before lifting such as a fruit or shake and imperative to eat after training, to prevent muscle breakdown. You can use a shake before and after or drink shake after and eat a fruit before.

Also protein shakes are purely supplemental, they are unnecessary to achieve results and will not overcome a crappy diet. So make sure your diet is in check and then that is when the supplements work really good. So if you can get your protein, and correct macros for your daily intake, then a protein shake before or after isn't needed. Like the above poster said it is all about total calorie intake, not meal timing.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    u should have protein soon AFTER strength training to help rebuild & repair.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Meal timing's affect on muscles and weight loss is broscience. If there's any benefit at all, it's incredibly small. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you get protein in your day at any time.
  • likerebecca
    likerebecca Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Carbs before, protein after.. but good carbs. Example.. I eat a banana before because it's fruit but it's got the carbs that my body needs to burn off during my workout.. then a protein shake after... smoothie style... so fruits added too so it's a filling satisfying "meal". Since I've been substituting one of my 5 small meals a day with a protein smoothie, I see a difference in my weight loss.. those liquid calories (and they are satisfying)..
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Meal timing's affect on muscles and weight loss is broscience. If there's any benefit at all, it's incredibly small. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you get protein in your day at any time.

Don't know if I'd call it broscience personally. I always see SUBSTANTIALLY better results when I have a protein shake right after work outs. I think it comes down to tweaking to find what works best for you. You're an unique individual - just like every one else. That's why you see so much conflicting information.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Don't know if I'd call it broscience personally. I always see SUBSTANTIALLY better results when I have a protein shake right after work outs. I think it comes down to tweaking to find what works best for you. You're an unique individual - just like every one else. That's why you see so much conflicting information.

Definitely have to agree on doing what works for you personally OP.
  • BigMan1979
    BigMan1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This topic is a tough one. Some will say eat before, and they are right. Some will say eat after, and they are right too. The difference is in your stage and goals. If you are an athlete with low fat stores then eating before is most likely the right answer. If you are trying to lose weight (excess fat stores) then eating after is most likely right. This is where the confusion comes from. Most people have read that you need to eat before in order to not have your body break down proteins and use them for energy. Well this is true; however, not the best science for people with a bounty of fat stores.

Before I start this next part you should know that I am talking about high-intensity anaerobic exercise here.

"Your body can store around 500 grams of carbs in your muscles and liver as glycogen" http://nealhallinan.com/blog/?p=1841

I would add "indefinitely" to the end of that. This means that if you carb load before going to bed (as I do) and get up at 4am and work out (cardio) on an empty stomach, you will not hit the point where you cannibalize protein (muscle) for energy. The reason for this is that each gram of carbs gives you 3.7 calories of energy. So some simple math would tell you that on a proper carb load the night before you would have approximately 1850 calories to burn before protein is cannibalized. Now it is worth noting that you will use some of that 500 gram storage while sleeping. So being very generous to your metabolic process, we can say you will 300 grams ready to go. So that will give you 1110 calories to burn. Unless you are an athlete, you can now see that eating before a workout is not needed. Assuming that people with excess fat stores won’t burn over 1100 calories in a single morning workout.

However, it is imperative that you eat very soon after a workout to replenish what you have burned off. Also note that you are not burning off solely those 300 grams of carbs. You are in fact burning all macronutrients during your workout.
    Carbs to glycogen to be used as primary fuel in anaerobic exercise.
    Fats to triglycerides to be used as primary fuel in Aerobic exercise.
    Protein to amino acids to be used as Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) every time you move a muscle. Then converted into Adenosine diphosphate.

In any event, this is just my understanding of information that I have found myself and from mostly actual studies. So my interpretation could very well be wrong.

Sources:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=de novo lipogenesis mcdevitt
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981
    http://www.south-florida-personal-trainer.com/carbs-into-fat.html
    And more
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i eat carbs, protein and a small amount of healthy fats 1.5hrs before lifting. and carbs/protein post lifting.
    usually fish and sweet potato and then chicken and brown rice. something like that
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'd just say nothing heavy before working out.
    Why? One time I had pizza pre workout and was so sluggish. It didn't matter I waited a couple hrs before working out. The workout sucked. Lesson learned.

Protein/carbs post workout.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you mean protein in general, then you should have some protein in every meal.

If you mean protein supplements/boosters/whatever you want to call them like shakes and bars, then I think it is whatever you prefer. I have a protein shake whenever I feel like my protein isn't high enough for the day, or isn't going to be high enough for the day, based on the macros I've set myself, regardless of whether I'm going training/have trained.

I don't generally eat within a couple of hours before training, regardless of what it is.
  • luspny8
    luspny8 Posts: 6
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE. Got some great insight!!!
  • luspny8
    luspny8 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have found over the last week, that if I eat some protein before training, I have so much more energy to get through.
    Thanks again for all your advice!!!