oatmeal in microwave

Options
MyPresent
MyPresent Posts: 35 Member
I love to eat oatmeal for breakfast. It is supposed to be quick to make, but every time I use my office's microwave, it boils over and it makes a mess. Then I end up spending more time cleaning than actually eating.
I have used bigger containers to avoid this problem, but it is inconvenient. I just add water to cover the oats, 1/2 cup of dry Quaker oats old fashioned, and cook it for 1 minute.
I wonder if you have had this issue and what do you recommend. I wish I didn't have to use a big container at the office for such a little portion. I don't really know about the power of the microwave. I've heard that to avoid the spill you can add salt to it. I have not tried that and I wouldn't want to add salt anyway. What has worked for you? Thanks!!

Replies

• chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    30 second intervals and watch it : )
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just watch it and if it starts to get there, I stop it, let it go down and put it back on.

when in doubt, overnight oats =)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I usually stand at the microwave and watch it and stop it before it explodes over.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a coffee mug and just add hot water from the coffee machine.
  • pamays
    pamays Posts: 20
    Options
    I also use a mug and hot water.. the longer you let it set the thicker it will get.. good luck
  • danagolding
    danagolding Posts: 49
    Options
    We have a coffee maker that also has a hot water spout in my office. I just leave my oatmeal in my little rubbermaid container that I brought it in, add the hot water, put lid on, and let sit for 5 minutes. Cooked to perfection! If you don't have the super hot water you could just boil some water in the microwave first and then pour that into you container and cover. Hope this helps!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The problem is that with regular oats, the milk/water boils over before the oats are cooked through.

Quick oats do away with that problem, because they cook in 90 seconds and the milk/water doesn't get a chance to boil over.

I'm sure a dozen people will now jump on me and say that quick oats are somehow less nutritious than whole oats because the process of chopping them up magically leaches everything good out of them, but I still managed to drop my cholesterol from 250 to 140 with 6 months of eating quick oats every day, so nurrrrr.
  • Fish_Fuzz
    Fish_Fuzz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Use a bowl with another co-workers name on it. then if it boils over just walk away and grab a honey and oat granola bar!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Use a deep bowl and Quick Cook but not instant oats. Microwave for 1 minute, then remove and stir. At this point I toss in 1/4 cup of frozen fruit and stir. Microwave for another 60 seconds and let sit for a minute or two. If I'm using fresh fruit, after the first minute I stir then put it back for 30 seconds, stir, and then cook for another 30 seconds adding my fruit after it's done cooking. I actually prefer using frozen blueberries, they get super plump while cooking, and keep the oatmeal cooler so it cooks without boiling over. There is no reduction in nutritional value using flash frozen blueberries, and they last for months in the freezer.
  • mbdiary
    mbdiary Posts: 9
    Options
    I always put a paper plate under my bowl when microwaving. also i find if you reduce the power to 8 makes a big difference
  • MyPresent
    Options
    Thanks very much for all your suggestions! I'll try them!
  • MyPresent
    Options
    LOL
    Use a bowl with another co-workers name on it. then if it boils over just walk away and grab a honey and oat granola bar!
  • TraciWA
    TraciWA Posts: 18
    Options
    Is their a way to turn the power down to 50%?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The problem is that with regular oats, the milk/water boils over before the oats are cooked through.

Quick oats do away with that problem, because they cook in 90 seconds and the milk/water doesn't get a chance to boil over.

I'm sure a dozen people will now jump on me and say that quick oats are somehow less nutritious than whole oats because the process of chopping them up magically leaches everything good out of them, but I still managed to drop my cholesterol from 250 to 140 with 6 months of eating quick oats every day, so nurrrrr.

Aren't the instant oats partially pre-cooked and then freeze-dried, as opposed to being just cut up differently? Not that the nutritional content would be any different.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    30 second intervals and watch it : )

This.

Plus, if your oatmeal is boiling over in 1 minute, you either have a nuclear microwave, or you're not using enough water. I microwave oatmeal all the time. I add walnuts, frozen blueberries, and Splenda or Agave nectar. Easy Peasy.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Aren't the instant oats partially pre-cooked and then freeze-dried, as opposed to being just cut up differently? Not that the nutritional content would be any different.

I don't use instant oats, and know nothing about them.

I use quick oats, and as far as I am aware, they are simply chopped smaller. Hence greater surface area per mass, hence faster absorption and cooking time.