100+ Weight Loss How do you prevent skin sag?

Options
AJL437
AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
I have 125 lbs to lose. Are there things I can to prevents saggy skin? What has worked for you?

Replies

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Put muscle in there.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Not losing too fast and keeping/gaining muscle.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to have some skin sag no matter what but doing it fairly slowly should help keep it from being too bad.
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Put muscle in there.

^^ This! LOL

Seriously though, I'm just starting out but I can definitely see where I'm losing fat in my tummy and it's becoming a bit saggy as well. I would love to know how to keep from having a pouch of saggy skin :/ One thing I will stress is proper hydration; make sure you are drinking enough water! Your skin will find it easier to snap back if it's well hydrated.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you're genetically predisposed to have skin that doesn't recover fully then nothing short of surgery will stop you having saggy skin forever. It's far less damaging to your physical health than remaining obese. That's what I've been telling myself for years to get by. My all time high was 284. I have all the extra skin to show for it.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    1. Eat your TDEE -20%
    2. Weight train - compound lifts (NROLFW or Stronglifts)
    3. Hydrate
    4. Moisturize
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    I do not understand why people are afraid of a little loose skin. Do you really think it's worse than being overweight? I consider it it a non-scale victory. I sign that the belly/thigh/whatever fat is starting to go away.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    All of the above plus aI will add... keep hydrating it with different creams. It helps faster recovery. :) Good luck with the journey! :)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    This isn't from me personally, but from my mother who has lost 98 pounds before -

Age helps. The younger you are, the faster it will snap back and not sag as much because of the elastin in your cells. Also hydration, and losing at a steady pace.

If it ends up REALLY bothering you in the end, there is always plastic surgery to help fix that. I know it's not the ideal option, but it's still an option.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    3 circuit training workout. Blasts fat off fast, helps firm. I have a very little loose skin, have lost 129 lbs and just where I've had a c-section is where my loose skin/trouble area is.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used to be really freaked out about the possibility of hanging skin and it turned out to be so much worse than I had imagined, but it's so worth it. I've put on quite a bit of muscle, but there's no way I could put on enough mucle to fill that much skin.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always bounce back. You can minimize it with weight training and hydration.
    I'm fairly certain a lift and a tuck will be in my future once I'm at my goal and maintaining. I've been stretched out too long :ohwell:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I do not understand why people are afraid of a little loose skin. Do you really think it's worse than being overweight? I consider it it a non-scale victory. I sign that the belly/thigh/whatever fat is starting to go away.

OP didn't say she was afraid of it but just asked for ways to mitigate it, if possible.

Like others have said:

1. Lose slowly, giving your skin a chance to adjust to the loss.
    2. Moisturize and while doing this, self massage to increase blood flow.
    3. Stay well hydrated.
    4. Get plenty of vitamin E. A vitamin that your skin uses a lot during repair and maintenance as well as promoting greater moisture retention in the dermal layers.
    5. Save up money just in case or like the post I quoted said, wear it like a badge of honor if you do wind up with some.
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Fighting this myself.....I have lost 99 pounds total with about fifty to go......currently everyday I am applying lotions and potions trying to combat saggy skin.....I do strength training currently but I am also trying to increase it with more things like push ups and a friend has me trying planks.........I am a work in progress :)
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 100 lbs. The last 65 were in the past year, but before that it was a sluggish 3 year trickle.

I have sag everywhere. It's really the one and only downside to major weightloss. I love how my body is shaping out, but the skin sag is inevitable. All you can do to minimize it, is put some muscle in there!..or, if you are loaded, get some nip/tuck! LOL.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If you're genetically predisposed to have skin that doesn't recover fully then nothing short of surgery will stop you having saggy skin forever. It's far less damaging to your physical health than remaining obese. That's what I've been telling myself for years to get by. My all time high was 284. I have all the extra skin to show for it.

Same. Mine was 280.. im now 184 and still j have a ways to go.. and my skin has sure seen better days.. its better than being unhealthy, but it's still a downer AT TIMES..
  • AJL437
    Options

I didn't say I was afraid of it. I am glad that you like it. If I can prevent it, I'd like to.
  • AJL437
    Options

OP didn't say she was afraid of it but just asked for ways to mitigate it, if possible.

Like others have said:

1. Lose slowly, giving your skin a chance to adjust to the loss.
    2. Moisturize and while doing this, self massage to increase blood flow.
    3. Stay well hydrated.
    4. Get plenty of vitamin E. A vitamin that your skin uses a lot during repair and maintenance as well as promoting greater moisture retention in the dermal layers.
    5. Save up money just in case or like the post I quoted said, wear it like a badge of honor if you do wind up with some.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I am going to up my hydration and Vitamin E! I appreciate it.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I am going to up my hydration and Vitamin E! I appreciate it.

And vitamin C too. It's needed for collagen production.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly, do steady cardio, and do free weights.