Guitar Players - How do you finger A minor?

Options
Jacwhite22
Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
I have always done it with my pointer on the first fret second string.......middle finger on the second fret fourth string and ring finger on the second fret third string. A couple of videos I have seen show the middle finger on the first fret second string, ring finger on the second fret fourth string and pinky on the second fret third string. This feels weird to me but I guess it makes it easier to transition into some of the barre chords (Bm) so I am curious what those of you who have been playing for a while generally do.

Replies

• calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    qtswl.gif
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    qtswl.gif

:laugh: :laugh:
    Sounds like a topic that will land someone in jail lol
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    qtswl.gif

Did you read the topic. I made a very conscientious effort to make it clear what I am talking about....Only Applicable to guitar players. A (notice it is capitalized) minor is a specific chord. You guys are so dirty sometimes........
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I position my fingers the same as you ... I have small hands though, so I "cheat" whenever possible (like not fully barring on chords like Bm)
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Wow ... I guess I am a music geek. I never even thought about it the way y'all read it!!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I hate barre chords. I also have small hands, I'll find any way around playing barre chords. I finger Am the same as you......
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    angry-ly

tumblr_m7pq290suI1rxlmf0o1_400.gif
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    2jcsccj.jpg
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Wow ... I guess I am a music geek. I never even thought about it the way y'all read it!!

^^ QFT....And thanks for your serious response. I feel like I need to start attacking the barre chords. I am feeling pretty comfortable with most of the open chords.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    When I started playing, I positioned my hand the way you do - as I started to play more barre chords I did change to the second way to where my index finger is off the neck and i use my middle, ring and pinky.
  • lesliesmmmacres
    Options
    qtswl.gif

Did you read the topic. I made a very conscientious effort to make it clear what I am talking about....Only Applicable to guitar players. A (notice it is capitalized) minor is a specific chord. You guys are so dirty sometimes........

And your point being????? I mean.....seriously :-)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Fingering a minor will probably get you put in jail :laugh:
  • FitnessCharl
    FitnessCharl Posts: 166
    Options
    Must.....resist.....obvious......joke.....

Ga, it's too much I'm out
  • Flash17k
    Flash17k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I normally play the Am chord with index, middle, & ring, like you do. However, it is occasionally advantageous to play it with the middle, ring, & pinky, so I'll play it that way in those cases. It depends on what other chords I've just played or am about to play. For example if I'm about to play a Bm, it is nice to play the Am with the last three fingers and leave them in that position and just move into the Bm easily. But if I'm going to play a C, it's easier to play with with the first three fingers, and keep the index & middle where they are when moving to the C.

I play many chords in different positions depending on the context of the song and the other chords. I play D with a variety of different finger positions. First 3 fingers, last 3, barred index + middle, C-form up two frets with muted first string, etc.

I also often play an Am7 (leave the 3rd string open) if it sounds appropriate to do so (usually works well in the key of G). I also sub a D2 (leave 1st string open) for the regular D a lot. I like adding little "flavor" chords when I can.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use the same positioning you use.
  • smboston
    smboston Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm glad that this was the first thing I read this morning.