Is it ok to have lower calories during the day?

Options
WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
What I mean is I am a night person and generally up late so I love to snack. Yesterday was pretty awesome since I skimped on my calories all day and then was able to eat a bit more freely at night. If I stick to 200-300 meals during the day I am not left with much in the evenings. I was at 1600 calories a day but have since dropped to 1200. It is an adjustment yes but I think with hard work and planning I can do it. For example for breakfast is yogurt enough? I am not super hungry and it was a late breakfast anyway. So it is ok to go smaller all day leaving myself room at night for snacking?

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Most nutritionists suggest that you eat the bulk of your calories during the day. The rule of thumb is: Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. That way you have all day to burn off the bulk of your calories. This has been a hard transition for me, because I like night snacking, too. But its a pretty bad habit.
  • leesapeesa
    leesapeesa Posts: 81
    Options
    In my opinion, as long as you are eating every couple hours I do not see any harm in this. I know people say you shouldn't eat a lot at night time but I think that is a myth and I don't buy it. If you are not generally hungry at breakfast time I think the most important thing is to eat SOMETHING period. If you have yogurt and are satisfied then I say that is fine. I just think it is important to eat small "meals", or snacks. I am also a night time snacker which is a total sabotage for me if i eat larger meals during the day. I try to eat the smaller meals and leave myself adequate cals for evening snacking or the snacks i eat at night are very low calorie. Plus, workouts will allow you more calories for eating. All in all, I say it is ok to eat less during the day. As long as you aren't feeling hungry all day. As long as you are within your cals i don't see it being a problem. Don't forget the water too! staying hydrated is important ;) good luck!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten snacks at night, never had a problem
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that I eat way more calories at night than during the day and I have still lost weight. I don't actually do it on purpose that's just how it works out. I average about 300cal each for breakfast and lunch and maybe another 100-200 for afternoon snack, but then by the time I go exercise I still have 1500+ left over at night. I usually have a lot of calories left over at the end of the day though, but it works out for me because I'm hungriest after my afternoon workout and I'm usually up late at night and get hungry again before bed, so I can have a light snack.

I think you just need to listen to your body, if you are hungry eat, if you're not, don't. I've tried to make myself eat more during the day to even it out more, like having 2 packets of oatmeal instead of 1 in the morning, but I would literally have to force feed myself so I quit doing that and just let the calories work themselves out naturally, I'm not hungry so that's all that matters to me.
  • revlaura
    revlaura Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, what works for me is to alternate nights when I eat a little more snackwise, and nights when I have a very light snack, eg. a piece of fruit, or a lo-cal hot chocolate. It has to be something I really enjoy too! I found too much evening snacking, EVEN IF I was UNDER my cal goal, just stalled the weight loss. Must be my metabolism. Weight comes off more readily if I try to have some "lighter" evenings. One secret I found personally that works, is if you have that heavier snack, take an evening walk. (I go with my husband) of course it involves planning, if you are going to snack in the night, you have to have lighter meals. Here's another thing, you may not be hungry for breakfast BECAUSE of your nighttime eating. I feel much hungrier in the morning when I have NOT eaten a lot the night before. Your body knows the cals it needs. if you are losing eating like you are, I see no harm in it. Best of luck to you!!
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    I've always had a bowl of cereal before bedtime but my endocronologist and all other doctors say I shouldn't eat past 6 or 7. :ohwell: So, I arrange my calories throughout the day so that I can have a glass a milk and a package of 100 calorie snack before bedtime. It has cured me from eating so late. When you eat that late, the calories just sit in your system and turn to sugar. That's why they say not to eat because it just turns to fat cuz you sleep 6-8 hours after that meaning no calorie burn. :flowerforyou:
  • adrianhelen
    adrianhelen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter when you consume it. I have heard this from nutritionists. The whole not eating too close to bed because you will gain more weight is a myth. Yes digestion slows at night while asleep but if you are not eating that much in the morning, then guess what? You are using up some of those calories you ingested the evening before. It all balances. Just make sure you stay within your calories each day. Just still eat some during the day so you keep your metabolism up.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I've always had a bowl of cereal before bedtime but my endocronologist and all other doctors say I shouldn't eat past 6 or 7. :ohwell: So, I arrange my calories throughout the day so that I can have a glass a milk and a package of 100 calorie snack before bedtime. It has cured me from eating so late. When you eat that late, the calories just sit in your system and turn to sugar. That's why they say not to eat because it just turns to fat cuz you sleep 6-8 hours after that meaning no calorie burn. :flowerforyou:

I could NOT imagine not eating past 6 or 7! I am usually up until 2am so that is a looong stretch without food!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I've done this. I just find that I do better all day long if I start with a breakfast of at least 400 calories. I try to eat about 2/3rds of my calories before dinner. It doesn't leave me much for dinner time but I'm more likely to go over on my calories if I've eaten too light all day long. It makes me hungrier at night.