not sure

Options
hi Im not sure if I am eating enough calories. I havnt met my calorie goal since I started mfp. Im trying to force at least 1200 calories a day. I have lost 13 pounds pior to starting mfp mainly due to stress. I started to exercise two weeks ago but had to stop for 6 days due to an injury. I starts back excersing a little today. I have manage to keep the other weight off and have lost 1 more pound. I am afraid that I will be hitting the starvation mode soon. My food diary is open can some look at it and give me some advice? thanks.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you definitely need to eat more. You barely average 1000 calories a day - under eating causes loss of lean body mass (especially bad for us over 40 year old women), messed up hormones and a slowed metabolism.

Up your calories to your daily target and add strength training to your routine if you do not already.
  • jcbgs
    jcbgs Posts: 26
    Options
    Im not trying to be stupid here but what is a good thing to add. I am used to cutting calories not adding and it is messing with me. Iv manage to cut out unhealthy snackes but what can I replace it with. I am really new at this.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to be stupid here but what is a good thing to add. I am used to cutting calories not adding and it is messing with me. Iv manage to cut out unhealthy snackes but what can I replace it with. I am really new at this.

There are many different mindsets about what types of food you should or should not be eating. I am of the mind that I can eat whatever i want, whenever I want, so long as it fits within my caloric goal. I do shoot for 125-150 grams of protein per day, but other than that I let the rest fall where it may.

Easy things to change are eat full fat dairy, nuts and nut butters, high good fat foods (avocados,for example), regular salad dressings, cook with oils, and weigh everything. I also do nto restrict dietary fats (they do not make you fat) because they help me stay full longer - but I do eat every 3 hours or so and before bed every night.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can make better choices so you are eating more and not using more calories. For example, instead of white bread use wheat.. instead of a whole egg, just the whites. Instead of sloppy joe mix or bologna for lunch, try a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad.

Add in more vegetables and lots more water!
  • jcbgs
    Options
    I do appreciate ur help. Im having trouble just plain eating. I will try to ad more veggies and fruit. I never had to force myself to eat before. IM just not as hungry. I want to add the strenghth training but have some medical problems so I have to go slow with it. But then I will have to add more calories. hmm thanks for ur help,
  • jcbgs
    Options
    This all makes sence to me. I will try to make the adjustments.