I'm not sure my 1200 calorie diet is working

Options
Hey all!

I'm 24, 5'7 and 145 lbs. I started the 1200 calorie diet last week. The first two days I went from 146 to 142. I've been consistent with the diet and usually fall between 800-1100 calories a day. For some reason though, on Monday I jumped up to 146, and I've only lost 1 pound since. I haven't been cheating and I think I eat pretty good food (avocados, lots of protein, fruit and water daily, etc). I went for a 1.5 mile run last Saturday but haven't done any other exercise during this week that I've been on this diet. I can't figure out what happened that made me just gain the weight I lost so quickly. I feel like I am working really hard, even though I know I should exercise more. Also, I take a saffron extract that has been amazing at curbing my appetite.

Any advice? Thanks

43538095.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is WAY too low - according to Scooby's (see link below) you should be eating more like 1800 calories (given that i don't know all your information i assumed some of the things, other than your age, weight and height)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Could it possibly be starving because you're not eating enough? I mean, I'm losing a pound a week at 1300 calories, but I'm only 5'1'' and my lifestyle is pretty sedentary. D: Our bodies are remarkably efficient, and like to hold onto stuff when they don't feel like they're getting enough on a regular basis.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, you aren't eating enough.
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Your initial loss wasn't all fat (mostly water, probably) and your gain probably wasn't fat either (yes, probably water for the most part).

There are so, so, so many factors that can contribute to a 4 lb overnight weight gain. Hormones, sodium, changing your workout regimen, changing medication or supplements... to gain 4 lbs of fat you'd have to have 14,000 extra calories. To lose 4lbs of fat you'd have to have a deficit of 14,000 calories.

1200 calories is probably too few, though - it is usually better to shoot for losing 1 -1.5 lbs a week, using the scale as a tool to gauge your average weight loss over months, rather than an indication of how well you did the day before.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I think you probably are not eating enough. I am on a 1200 calorie diet but that is because I have a pretty sedetary life (though trying to change that) and I also have PCOS and no thyroid. It was a nutritionist that put me on this but most of the other women in the group were at around 1300-1400 a day and if you are really active (i.e. work out at least 3-4 times a week) then the calorie allowance was even higher.

I don't know a sigal dietician or nutrionist that would recommend you eat lower than 1200 a day and you said most days you aren't even eating that. I think your body is going into starvation mode.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. read this, reevaluate, check in with us in a month.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First of all a person's weight can fluctuate from day to day .... a high sodium meal can do you in ... time of month ... don't worry

Secondly 800 - 1100 calories is not enough. If you try to lose weight too fast you will lose both fat & muscle .... eat more

This calculator says your BMR Basal metabolic rate is 1481 .... This should be your lowest NET number. These are the calories needed if you were in a coma. Net calories means you eat your exercise calories back**

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

** Eating exercise calories back can be tricky as machines & MFP will over state many things .... be conservative
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Eat! It's that simple. Food = Fuel!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on your caloric intake.

What I'm going to comment on is the fact that you've been checking your weight on a daily basis. Stop doing that. Weight can fluctuate by 5 pounds or more every day, and what you gained is most likely water weight as a result of your Saturday run.

A week is not enough time to know if your diet is working. Stay on it for 4-6 weeks, weighing weekly, and see how the trend goes. If it goes down between week 1 and week 4, you're doing fine. If not, it's time to reevaluate.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "The 1200 Calorie Diet"

Tell me more...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You should also look at the bright side... You've grown an inch today!! So clearly something is working. I think it's the Raspberry Ketones.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on your caloric intake.

What I'm going to comment on is the fact that you've been checking your weight on a daily basis. Stop doing that. Weight can fluctuate by 5 pounds or more every day, and what you gained is most likely water weight as a result of your Saturday run.

A week is not enough time to know if your diet is working. Stay on it for 4-6 weeks, weighing weekly, and see how the trend goes. If it goes down between week 1 and week 4, you're doing fine. If not, it's time to reevaluate.

^^This. Also, if MFP set your calorie goal at 1200, I'd ask if you chose 2 pounds a week as your goal? If so, that's not very realistic, especially considering that you don't have that much to lose. Go back into your goals and select 1 pound. That will probably give you a higher calorie goal. Gradually increase your calories by 100 a week at a time. You might see slight gains as your body adjusts, but once your adjusted to where you should be, you should lose consistently. (Although there's no guarantee for consistency.)
  • Krys_140
    Options
    "I haven't been losing consistently, I don't know if this is working."

Really? You don't?
    She started the diet last week. How could she? Even if 1200 calories is insane, she couldn't possibly know in a week whether it's working...
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It helps me when I eat small meals every two hours or so. It keeps me dropping the pounds and getting used to small portions.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Really? You don't?
    She started the diet last week. How could she? Even if 1200 calories is insane, she couldn't possibly know in a week whether it's working...

Shhhhh you're stepping on my snark.
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    I'd like to hear more about the saffron extract...

I also think your calories are probably too low, but that's because I just bumped my calorie intake to 1300 from 1200 and I phsically feel better when I eat a little more. You have a calorie goal of 1200 but you are not even taking that in, so my guess is that your body wants everything you put in and isn't keen on giving anything up. You may need to *at least* eat 1200 to keep your body regulated.

FTR, I am 5'5" and 140, so not too far off from you. My weight fluctuates from 139-143 pretty regularly, so it's totally normal. Water, hormones, sodium...a lot of things can impact weight.

Don't weight every day. It's a lesson I am learning the hard way since tend to weight myself every 2-3 days.
  • Krys_140
    Options

Really? You don't?

Shhhhh you're stepping on my snark.
    Good point. Comment retracted.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You are already at a healthy weight. 125 is too low for someone your height. On top of that you are under-eating. And you didn't lose 4 pounds of fat in one week (fluids and muscle, yes). Even if you could bear to lose another 5-10 pounds, it should take months to lose it, not days. Get real and shift your focus from the number on the scale to HEALTH.

If this is a serious post, you need to get help.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When you dropped to 1200 calories did you drop a bunch of carbs? Cutting your carbs has a diuretic effect, hence the big weight loss you had in a few days. When you started exercising your body grabbed water to repair your muscles. Hence the water weight gain back.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    so.... you're already within the healthy weight range for your height. Regardless of your methods, did you really expect to see major results in a week?

- adjust your expectations - this process takes time, and the closer you are to a healthy weight, the slower it is

- do the calculations to find out how much you should be eating. Try here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

- weigh weekly, not daily. Daily water fluctuations can make you go stark raving mad.