Exercising too much to lose weight? 5'4/female/lifting

Options
Hey guys,

I was wondering.. has anyone had experiences with eating too few calories and exercising too much?
I was training 6-7 days a week, eating 1300 + 1 cheat meal a week, and my weightloss would constantly stall. I was doing moderate lifts (15-25 lbs. on dumbbells, 160 squat, 220 deadlift). I was thinking about cutting down the exercise and leaving my calories the same? Can someone help me? :(

Since Jan 1 I went from 205 down to 189ish.. usually bouncing around a couple pounds. The past year I'd been dieting/exercising and experienced a lot of yoyo effects. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Eat more! Way more!
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!! Especially protein!!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Eat more! Way more!

^This

I eat on average a total intake 1700 - 2000+. I'm 5'4" and down to 198 from 225 in Feb.
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!! Especially protein!!!

Protein! Especially cause you're lifting. Don't be afraid to eat, just eat a lot of good stuff all day long. We are very similar, I had a similar weight loss, then didn't lose (or gain) for about 3 weeks, now I'm losing again. I feel like weight loss comes in spurts. Keep up the lifting, isn't it awesome??
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

I eat about 2200 a day. I'm 5'6" and 130 pounds. I lift 3x a week, run 3x a week and work my horse 4-6x a week. I could probably eat more and maintain this.

If you're exercising, up your calories. 1300 is way too low for someone who is 189 and working like that.
  • rueyaroo
    rueyaroo Posts: 35
    Options
    thanks guys! i'm scared of upping calories cause my experience has been pretty bad.. i upped my calories once to 2000 and i gained like 15 lbs..
  • mrscleve211
    Options
    what types of food do you eat? I have the same issue and want to increase my calories but not add too much sugar or fat? Someone suggested peanut butter?
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'5 ft 4 also. When I started MFP it had me at 1200 calories. It got my weight loss started, but I quickly hit a plateau. Turns out wilth all of the exercising I was doing, I wasn't eating enough so my body was starving for food. Once I started eating a little more, it started dropping again. Buy a heart rate moniter so you have a good idea of the calories you're actually burning though. I got mine on ebay new for like $40. Well worth the money.
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    a lot of protein (usually around 160g, sometimes more or less), i think i get plenty of fats.. i usually keep teh carbs kinda low cause i've had bad experiences where i just gain really easily. i think my diary is public, check it out if you'd like! the last 2 weeks hasn't been as intense cause of finals and then PMS. but my period never actually came, and it's not possible for me to be pregnant.
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    p.s. i only log my food, i quit logging exercise.

my friends were worried about me having an eating disorder cause of my workout and nutrition intensity.. but i really don't have *that* many other interests aside from health/wellness/music/goals&ambitions. it's a huge bummer for me to cut back on physical activity.
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am also 5 feet 4. I was eating on the high end of 1300 and stuck at the same weight months. I lift 3 times per week, with cardio 4-5 times. I ruined my metabolism doing this. I increased to 1900+ per day and I am losing at a steady pace
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    but my period never actually came, and it's not possible for me to be pregnant.

"A caloric intake that is too low can cause you to skip a period or otherwise alter the regularity of your menstrual cycle. But a diet that consists of 1,100 calories a day or fewer poses additional health risks such as fatigue, hair loss, intolerance to cold and gallstones. If you have an eating disorder, such as anorexia nervosa, your caloric intake may be even lower than 1,100 calories a day, and it is likely that your period will stop altogether. The severe caloric restriction that accompanies an eating disorder can also result in symptoms like fatigue, insomnia, fainting, brittle nails, constipation, dry skin, low blood pressure and dehydration

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/530206-can-low-caloric-intake-affect-your-period/#ixzz2TO8Bqu2b"
    i upped my calories once to 2000 and i gained like 15 lbs.

Try a slow increase. Add 100 calories to your daily goal every week or so. Also on days I don't work out I eat around 1500, but eat closer to 2000 (and sometimes over) on days I do workout.
  • BeckyB1051
    BeckyB1051 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How much do you work out?
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    How much do you work out?

OP, says 6-7 days a week in her first post.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just posted pretty much something like that a few weeks ago, same exact scenario. Down to the period not showing up. I upped my calories and lost 3 pounds the first week! It was clear that I was not eating enough doing pretty much the exact amount of exercise that you're doing and while I'm the same height I am a little lighter at 163lbs. I upped my calories to 1700 and things are much better, I can tell by the way my energy increased almost right away.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Eat more. I was a skeptic. Not any longer. It really kicks your metabolism in.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Being ambitious about your health and wellness goes hand in hand with properly fueling yourself and feeding your body for your goals, not starving it. Eat more.
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    thanks guys! I'll try upping my calories to around 1500 and see how it goes. fingers crossed!

p.s. should i cut back on exercise? i'm for sure taking the week off cause my body is sore.. i've been going pretty much everyday since jan.1
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'll try upping my calories to around 1500 and see how it goes. fingers crossed!

p.s. should i cut back on exercise? i'm for sure taking the week off cause my body is sore.. i've been going pretty much everyday since jan.1

Oh yes, cut back on the exercise!!! Every single day is way too much and it can be counter-productive. Your body absolutely needs recovery days.