Only 130 calories left today

Options
What do you do when you've just finished lunch and you only have 100-ish calories left for the day? And you don't have time to work out? Do you guys give yourself some "flex" calories throughout the week?

Thanks!
Sarah

Replies

• Vehicon
    Vehicon Posts: 22
    Options
    First off, how many calories are you allowing yourself on a daily basis?
  • samsteve2012
    samsteve2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i have greek yoghurt and honey :-)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First of all, yes, what's important is per week, not per day.

Second, this 7 minute workout will kill you, but it's only 7 minutes: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

Third, you can eat a lot of salad, water, and fish/pork/beef chicken for 300 calories and have a nice dinner. My most frequent lunch meal is a fit and delicous tortilla, 1 oz of roastbeef and lettuce for under 100 calories.

Try as best you can and make it up over the next few days. Remember, if you are over by less than 500 calories you won't lose as much, but you shouldn't gain either. There are just days like that.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I try to log before I eat, so I know how many calories I am going to consume and where there is room to add more.

You can have a huge salad for dinner, add in some chicken or hummus, and go a little over your calories for the day without feeling hungry.
  • klnor88
    klnor88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tend to hoard my calories and end up struggling to get them in but in your situation I would eat a salad for dinner and try to sneak in a workout if I needed a snack.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think a big salad is a great suggestion - also why is it that you don't have time for a quick workout? If you can get just 30 minutes together you could burn some calories to add to your total.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I plan my whole day first thing in the morning or the night before so this doesn't happen. Occasionally things come up and I have to swap out things, but this way I can just throw the snacks I decided on in a bag and go, cook dinner without being on MFP and I usually end up with leftovers or subway for lunch. It easy that way because I know ahead of time what I am having and can space out my snacks throughout the day so I am never hungry and never have that dreaded, OMG i only have 150 calories left for the whole day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely try to sneak in a workout. Then I'd have a big salad for dinner.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I eat a 600 dinner and not worry about it.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Big salad and a brisk 15-minute walk.
  • CycleFlow
    CycleFlow Posts: 55
    Options
    I'd get some protien in and lots of veggies (filling ones like broccoli, cauliflower etc) for dinner.
    You will be full. And you dont have to feel bad about going slightly over your caloric goals if its with protien and veggies.

Later in the week eat back only half your exercise cals for a day if you really want to balance everything out.
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    An egg white omelett with salt and pepper, and lots of veggies, can be filling, and keep you at your calorie alottment.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you only allow yourself 1200 a day, which is why you're in this predicament.

When I only have 130 cals left for dinner, I reasses WTF I'm doing.
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I try to fit in any kind of "exercise" in to make up for it if I don't have time to actually work out. Things like parking on the top level of the parking garage and taking the stairs, walking the long way around, toe lifts and standing push ups in the shower. Things like that.

ETA: I also usually have calories left over from other days in the week so I have some wiggle room.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I do not go over. I am strict with myself. Which is why I make sure to leave myself enough for dinner. Especially if I know I wont get any exercise in.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat little during the day and loads at night, but...honestly I'd just try to have something filling with lower calories than I'd normally eat. Going over your goal one day is not the end of the world. It's 3500 extra calories to gain a pound of fat so unless your dinner will be that high I think you'll be okay.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat a reasonable dinner and don't worry about it.
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I usually allow a little flex room. I know I'm supposed to eat between my BMR and my TDEE(-20%)... which are about 180 calories apart. If I over-eat one day, it's typically less than 200 calories.

So basically, as long as I'm still between my BMR and my TDEE(-20%) for the day AND week, I don't see an issue with it.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Yes I worry more about weekly calories than daily. As long as you are meeting your weekly goal you will lose weight on track that week. I'd probably just have some chicken breast and salad or something else light for dinner. Also, maybe try to get even just 10 minutes of exercise in? If you work hard that could give you 100 extra calories. Moving for a short time is better than not moving at all :)
  • KevinLamb77
    KevinLamb77 Posts: 87
    Options
    Egg Beaters, Sautee'd veggies and a wedge of laughing cow cheese.