Should I quit the Gym?

Options
I have a question for those of you who have been at it for a while... Should I quit the Gym? For the past couple of months I have been doing Jillian Michaels 30day shred, and now the 30day slim down challenge. I also like to run, and have been doing so in my neighborhood or at the beach. I would like to cancel my membership because I feel like it is pointless. I have weights at home and I run outside. Is there a need for a gym membership? Has anyone been successful at losing the weight and keeping it off at home? Let me know, thanks!!!

Replies

• bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    Why pay for something you don't use?
  • LAMAnRLA91909
    Options
    Since you are getting your exercise away from the gym, I say go ahead and quit. I don't see the point of paying for a membership if you're not using the equipment.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you have a bar, bench and a rack you use, I think quitting the gym is fine. I lost my weight without a gym membership, mostly with videos, then adding in heavy lifting with free weights. (I have a bar with plates that goes up to 115 pounds (I need a new bar, I've outgrown this one!), bench, small, adjustable rack and plate loadable dumbbells). I have done a few classes at the gym here and there, and I've gone with my husband on a guest pass on days our kids are at their grandparents', but that's like 5 or 6 times a year, for the most part.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Why pay for something you don't use?

^^^ this, if you don't use it haven't you kind of answered your question?

I prefer the gym, but to each their own.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Since you're not using it, I'd go ahead and cancel your membership. You can always start it up again if you decide you want to go to the gym again.

I personally don't go to a gym.

From Feb 2012 to August 2012, my main forms of working out included:
    Wii Games:
    -Wii Fit
    -EA Sports Active 2.0
    -Just Dance
    -Golds Gym Cardio
    -Your Shape

Walking/Running on a trail by my house

**Then my wii died and I didn't work out again till Feb 2013 (I gained a little weight back (less than half of what I had lost)).**

From Feb 2013 to Current, my main forms of working out include:
    Xbox Kinect Games
    -Your Shape FE 2012
    -Dance Central Games
    -Ea Sports Active 2.0

Walking/Running at the trail by the river or the one at the park that circles the lake

Weight training (Me & my husband have decided that the money we usually set aside for games, is going to weights instead)
    -Weight bench & Barbell
    -Adjustable Dumbbells
    **We have started kind of putting together a small home gym. We are slowly lining one of the walls with mirrors. **
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I only go to the Y because they have a pool. If I didn't have to go, I certainly wouldn't spend the money. It sounds like you have your routine at home. Go with that. Good luck.
  • groovebak
    groovebak Posts: 2
    Options
    The world is your gym! :)
  • isabellecmiranda
    isabellecmiranda Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!