Binging - I cant stop!!!!!!!!!

Options
It's getting to the point where I don't know what to do with myself.

Ever since I quit smoking I just CAN'T resist the urge to binge. It's driving me absolutely psycho.

I do pretty well during the day but as soon as I get home I just stuff my face with whatever is available.

Does anyone have any advice? I can't chew gum - I have a slipped disk in my TMJ joint and I've been forbidden. I can't smoke (obviously) and my will power isn't doing me any good either.

HELP!!!!!!!

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    It's getting to the point where I don't know what to do with myself.

Ever since I quit smoking I just CAN'T resist the urge to binge. It's driving me absolutely psycho.

I do pretty well during the day but as soon as I get home I just stuff my face with whatever is available.

Does anyone have any advice? I can't chew gum - I have a slipped disk in my TMJ joint and I've been forbidden. I can't smoke (obviously) and my will power isn't doing me any good either.

HELP!!!!!!!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    suck on sugar free hard candy and ice... start to croche.... anything but dont give in...lol.... Its not ganna be easy but everytime u get the urge to eat instead of a cig think BAD BAD BAD.... :bigsmile:
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what the calorie count would be but I quit smoking years ago with TicTacs. Yes, TicTacs. Every time I wanted a smoke I would pop a mint. I had the FRESHEST breath ever... but it worked. I had to carry at least 2 or 3 packs of them because I would go through so many but eventually I weaned myself off them. :laugh: My husband quit with toothpicks, in fact it's been a year and he STILL can't live without toothpicks. Let me know if either one works for ya!!!! :happy:
  • huskergal15
    huskergal15 Posts: 102
    Options
    I used Jolly Ranchers and sugar free suckers. If you have a sucker, it gives you something to do w/ your hands as well... which was super important for me when I wanted a smoke.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I used suckers, too. they have calories (25-50 per sucker I would guess), but it's better than a 1,000 calorie binge-fest! :flowerforyou:
  • pomphohi
    pomphohi Posts: 7
    Options
    Watermelon. I would eat pieces of watermelon. Stong flavor, very juicy--lots of fiber. I also allowed myself the 15 minute smoke break but insead of smoking i streched and did breathing excercises.
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OK. I'm not a smoker, but I am a binge eater. I am bad about getting home and stuffing my face while I am cooking dinner. So, what I do to aviod this is space smaller meals throughout the day. I have about 6 to7 everyday. I still stay within my calories for the day, but space them out. I think that really helps me not to binge eat so much.

Good luck.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Hard candy is an option. Try toothpicks? Lollipops?

Set yourself a goal tonight to not binge. Look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you won't do it. Hell, set your goal at one hour. Even 10 minutes. Every long journey starts with a couple steps.

Prove to yourself you can make it that long. If you can make it that long - guess what, you can do it again. And again. And each time you do it, your confidence will go up because you set a goal, and achieved it. Empower yourself and give yourself confidence that you are in control - because, well, you are :wink:
  • mimzy
    mimzy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used icepops--you know those icy things you squeeze up? They're not bad in calories and occupy 2 hands!
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    Oh I know exactly how you feel! I can do good all day long, but then 6 or 7 at night I get this uncontrollable urge to stuff my face! I try to keep my hands and mind busy. I notice when I'm mindlessly watching TV I mindlessly eat. So I grab a book, crossstich, play a game on the computer. Something that is just too difficult to eat and do. You could always call up a friend or email one of your MFP buddies when your getting that uncontrollable urge for support!

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Well, I dont know about smoking since I havent started in order to quit.
    BUt I know how to stop binging, which I know how to do quite well.
    I just don't keep unhealthy food in my house.
    I only buy fruits, veggies and 100 cal packs for snacking, that way I can't possibly go to far over the edge.
    If it isn't there its a whole lot harder to eat...
    ALthough, I am also very lazy when I get home after work and teh gym, and even if I feel like snacking on something bad, I don't want to go to the store to get it, so Im left healthier due to my laziness for once...
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking 3 months ago and a friend recommended Tea Tree Oil toothpicks. They are a minty flavor and the toothpick takes care of the oral fixation. (which was awesome because I had smoked menthol cigarettes). You can get them at a health food store. Just watch out because I started to get splinters if I was stressing out. I quit cold turkey and still managed to stay on top of my weight loss.
  • slimmama
    slimmama Posts: 2
    Options
    hello. i am new to this site and I plan to use it a lot. My biggest problem is binging on weekend. How do I stop. Everything I accomplish during the week i lose on the weekend. i am stuck. HEEEELLLPP:sad: :sad: :embarassed:
  • areason4stars
    Options
    When I get a really bad urge to binge I tell myself I can eat "X" After I drink a bottle of water (20oz ) and wait 5-10 mins after. Usually by then the urge is gone, and If not gone at least I feel a little fuller so I eat less.

Now this really didn’t work for me today :grumble: but most of the time it helps.

Good job quitting!

Good Luck to you!
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    When I get a really bad urge to binge I tell myself I can eat "X" After I drink a bottle of water (20oz ) and wait 5-10 mins after. Usually by then the urge is gone, and If not gone at least I feel a little fuller so I eat less.

Now this really didn’t work for me today :grumble: but most of the time it helps.

Good job quitting!

Good Luck to you!

Wow, that is a GOOD suggestion! lol I'm deffinately going to try that one the next time I feel the need to feed! :laugh:
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    Planning is KEY. I type everything I'm going to eat for the day in the Food Diary. (I also add in my exercise so I'm sure to eat the extra calories.) Then I print it out. I go through the list and write exactly what TIME I'm going to eat it, and just make it part of my schedule for the day. It sounds like a lot, but you'd be surprised how much it cuts down on binging because you know what you're going to eat next, and what time you're going to eat it, so you can find something else to do in the meantime to occupy your time.

Quick note - I eat a LOT throughout the day. I only have 1200 calories + workout calories, but I manage to stay within my range.

Today's menu:

8:30am
    1/2 Egg whites
    1/4 chopped peppers
    1 slice 2% cheese
    1/4 cup oatmeal

10:30am
    nonfat yogurt

11:30am
    string cheese

1:30pm
    grilled chicken
    greens
    fat free salad dressing

3pm
    apple

4pm
    protein shake

6pm
    protein cereal
    skim milk

workout from 6:30-7:30

7:30pm
    protein bar

9pm
    shrimp
    veggies

10:30pm
    skinny cow dessert
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I'm not going to be too inspirational... but I can tell you that I have just gone through exactly what you're experiencing now.

On ( going to check the date on my calendar) OK.. back.. On March 10, I quit smoking. It was my last great milestone.

I started out about 3 years ago... at 212 pounds and 5'2. I was 57 years old and I was in poor health, My diabetes was raging out of control.. along with the rest of my life and overall health.

I finally got it into my head that I wasn't getting any younger and I was on a serious down hill slide. So, once again I started dieting... uggg. This time I tried a low carb approach of my own design.

Bottom line and 3+ years later... I was down to 118 pounds and feeling great about myself. My diabetes was gone.. for all intents and purposes. My sugar counts were normal for 2 years.

Now... I still wanted to drop a few more pounds. That doesn't sound reasonable to you, most likely.. but I felt I needed to. However I was close enough and knew that.

Along came a cigarette tax bill to the tune of $1900... I had been ordering cigarettes online and my state wanted it's due.

It was then that I realized it was time to quit... and I did... for 2 months. Well, geesh... all I did was think about food... I woke up with food on my mind and spent the day thinking about food.. and dreamed about it and woke for a feeding every few hours throughout the night.

I had it all relatively under control... I'd gained 8 pounds.. then lost it.. gained.. lost it again. I was miserable to say the least. I'd worked so hard to lose the weight and I could feel it slipping away.

Friends, family... they said I could use a few pounds... But I knew, the same way as you do and we all do... I was losing control.

In the end... well, I'm smoking again. I'm sad about it.. I know it's so, so bad for me... I just can't deal with the alternative.

So, I guess I'm no help at all... except that I share your emotions and the turmoil going on inside you.

I'm back to trying to drop a few more pounds... maybe I'll try again someday soon.. I hope to.

Very Good Luck!