Curious -- coffee

Options
ellen_kay
ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
What is everyones opinion? Can you or do you count your morning coffee in your water intake? It's made with water. Same with most protein drinks/powder. They are mixed with water. Let me know what you think.

Replies

• McMillen93
    McMillen93 Posts: 6
    Options
    I always count all my drinks in my water intake. but I log the calories too.
  • RicoHuerta
    RicoHuerta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    concur with McMillen, I log coffee, protein drinks, tea, etc as water intake but do count the calories under whatever meal that was. sodas, milk, alcohol on the other hand I don't. your choice
  • larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do not count coffee because it can dehydrate you even though its made of water. other drinks yes, but I don't count coffee and alcohol.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Count them as water.. I do and a lot of people do. Your body takes hydration from everything you eat and drink. Sure, caffeine can dehydrate you but only in larger quantities. A cup or two of coffee a day won't dehydrate you.

Log any calories associated with it.
  • megbee617
    megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I only log water under water. Sodas, even diet sodas, have a ton of chemicals in them that I believe take away any benefit it might otherwise have if I lumped it into 'water'. Juices, alcohol, etc all contain calories or vitamins that might contribute to my daily intake.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have been logging the calories, just not the water. I will start from now on.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    concur with McMillen, I log coffee, protein drinks, tea, etc as water intake but do count the calories under whatever meal that was. sodas, milk, alcohol on the other hand I don't. your choice

There's water in virtually everything we eat and drink (fruits and vegs in particular), but I think the point is to drink 8 glasses of real pure water in addition to what you are already getting. In my opinion, coffee is made with water, but it isn't water. In fact the diuretic qualities of it will actually result in a loss of water. All just my opinions...
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Why do people log coffee on their diary? That's just being super anal about your diet. Chill out, it's just a cup of coffee.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Coffee isnt actually a diuretic, and won't dehydrate you. It counts as water.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I count every single tasty bit of coffee I digest lol :)
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I only log water under water. Sodas, even diet sodas, have a ton of chemicals in them that I believe take away any benefit it might otherwise have if I lumped it into 'water'. Juices, alcohol, etc all contain calories or vitamins that might contribute to my daily intake.

How does diet soda chemicals reverse the benefits brought on by hydration?
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I count it, but I also drink it black, so the calorie count is low.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I count it as part of my water. It's not a diuretic unless you're mainlining it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. I don't count my coffee, as I only have 2 cups a day. I don't drink juices or soda either. So, if coffee counts, then it's an extra bonus!
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I log everything that passes my lips (um... most everything) - water is water and coffee is in breakfast section. The only way I would log something else as water is if it was "infused" water with lemon or cucumbers etc. .. maybe lemonade too but then log the sugar separate.
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Why do people log coffee on their diary? That's just being super anal about your diet. Chill out, it's just a cup of coffee.

I put it on there, because I have creamer in it, and people see that in my diary and are like...JUST CREAMER? lol Plus it does have a tiny bit of calories and some people do watch their caffeine level. (for example...I only have coffee once every 4-5 days)
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't even count my water. It's typically the only beverage that I drink except for the random days that I do have a cup of coffee. I am usually at 8 cups of water between 12-2pm. I don't really need an exact count :)
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't count my coffee, because I drink it black.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Because most people, like myself, at least take cream in their coffee, which can add up to 100 calories depending on how light you take your coffee.

Many, MANY people also take it with sugar. So, tracking a 150 calorie cup of coffee is NOT being anal. It is being ACCURATE. People complain about not seeing results because they don't keep track of ALL of their calories.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I count all liquid drinks, broth, etc as water. I do track my coffee, soup, and count the calories, but I also use them to fill the glass at the bottom.