What to do with the "bad" food?

Options
So I have some things in my cupboard and freezer that I am trying to avoid eating as they are high in carloes and sodium (The sodium part is mostly just the canned soups!) I feel like it's a waist of money to toss them, but since I am trying to eat things that are better for me, I'm not sure what to do about them! Most of the stuff in my freezer is from M&M Meats. That place isn't cheap! I do my best to make sure that if I do have some of it, I'm not going over my calorie in take. Doesn't always work though. I do make sure I follow the serving sizes and not eat the amount I used to. (Serving size is about half of what I used to eat).

Replies

• Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you don't want it in your house, donate it to a food shelter. It'll get it out of your line of temptation, it's a good deed, and it's a tax write-off...WIN WIN WIN!!! :-)
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Donate canned items to your local food shelter.
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    Food pantry or homeless shelter they are always in need of donations
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I gave all my stuff to the neighbor. It was like Halloween without the begging
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I agree with donations, or, give them to family who may really need them if money is tight right now.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    if you feel bad tossing them because of the money you spent, how bout cooking it for a loved one who isnt calorie counting? or take it to a potluck.
    If you're not one to give food to the homeless, you can at least be sure someone you know is enjoying it, then it's out of your sight!

I have a similar issue, living at home with a family that entertains a lot. So even though we try to eat healthy, we always have sweets, salty snacks, cold cuts, and booze in the house "in case' we have company. In these cases, although I do give in sometimes, I hide the items in the back of the pantry or freezer so that I dont see them ( and hopefully forget they're there). Then, we still have the items in case we do entertain.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Eat it. Fit it into ur macros
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    Eat it. Just eat within calorie range and add in fresh fruits/veggies to your day to off-set high sodium content. So, have a can of soup for lunch, then maybe make rice, chicken and veggies for supper.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I have some things in my cupboard and freezer that I am trying to avoid eating as they are high in carloes and sodium (The sodium part is mostly just the canned soups!) I feel like it's a waist of money to toss them, but since I am trying to eat things that are better for me, I'm not sure what to do about them! Most of the stuff in my freezer is from M&M Meats. That place isn't cheap! I do my best to make sure that if I do have some of it, I'm not going over my calorie in take. Doesn't always work though. I do make sure I follow the serving sizes and not eat the amount I used to. (Serving size is about half of what I used to eat).

High cals + sodium doesn't make a food bad, in fact with the possbility of synthetic trans fats, no food is bad nor good without dosage and context factored in
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You probably won't be able to donate the meat. I'd eat it and figure it in with my daily calories.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating them with a more balance meal (a little hard with the hamburgers!). I doubt any of the local places I could donate to would take something that's already opened. I am doing my best to get the better foods now when I go for grocery, but those better foods are so much more expensive! They constantly promote eating better foods, but when you go for groceries, those better foods are more expensive then the unhealthy foods and it makes it hard on a tight budget like mine.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    No such thing as bad food. And even if there were, sodium wouldn't be what would make it bad. Unless you have a medical condition, sodium is largely irrelevant.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Are you saying meat is a bad food?
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Call your local food bank. Many will accept frozen meat. If not, cook for a pot luck or throw a party (be sure to send everyone home with the leftovers).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating them with a more balance meal (a little hard with the hamburgers!). I doubt any of the local places I could donate to would take something that's already opened. I am doing my best to get the better foods now when I go for grocery, but those better foods are so much more expensive! They constantly promote eating better foods, but when you go for groceries, those better foods are more expensive then the unhealthy foods and it makes it hard on a tight budget like mine.
    What's wrong with hamburgers? A hamburger + vegetables + a carb, portion sizes to fit your goals - what's unbalanced about that?
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You said you can`t afford to buy so much "good" food because it's so expensive, but you had bought (bad?) stuff at M&M which is expensive so you don't want to just throw it out? Hmm. okay.

I have lots of stuff I bought before I got serious about doing this. I am just fitting them in to my calorie count. I know the sodium is going to be high for a while, but no higher than it was before, and once the stuff is all gone, I will be sure to buy things that are more in line with how I should be eating. I think that if I am eating less, then what I will save in quantity can be made up for in quality, so I shouldn't really be spending much more. And I know it will be worth it anyway, right?!
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Bring it to work and leave it in your kitchen area ,if you have one, for the co-workers to eat. I know if i did, the stuff would be gone by lunch time.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Thing is, foods aren't "good" or "bad", and you don't need special foods to lose weight. Yes, you can make things easier for yourself by having a house full of lower calorie (or lower sodium or whatever) foods, especially if you're on a tight calorie restriction, but there's certainly no need to throw stuff out just because you're watching your calories now. I would just fit it into your daily goals as far as possible, and then buy things you're more comfortable having around once you're finished what you have now.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I ain't scared of them sodiums.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You said you can`t afford to buy so much "good" food because it's so expensive, but you had bought (bad?) stuff at M&M which is expensive so you don't want to just throw it out? Hmm. okay.

got them on sale. went over budget and kicked myself for it.
    What's wrong with hamburgers? A hamburger + vegetables + a carb, portion sizes to fit your goals - what's unbalanced about that?

The ones I have are 330cal per one. (though technically it would be less then that as I cut it smaller to fit the bun! ) I have a hard time deciding what to go with it other then fries or chips.