Measurements vs Weight

Options
I had decided to measure myself on May 7, not really sure if I was doing it right or if I would measure myself again. And the numbers scared me slightly, but that's ok.

I measured myself again today, and I have lost 1 inch from waist, 0.5 inch from hips, and 0.75 inch from bust. I found this very motivating! Over this same time period I lost about 1.6 lbs.

Just wondering how often others measure themselves? Is every week too much?

Replies

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I measure once a week or when I remember to--which can be a couple weeks. I do weigh every day, but also acknowledge that weight can go up and down by a few pounds for any number of reasons. I weigh myself daily as it's my coping mechanism to keep myself honest. :)
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do all my measurements and weighing once a week. That way I can see a trend if anything changes from week to week.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do all my measurements and weighing once a week. That way I can see a trend if anything changes from week to week.

Same
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I measure once a week or when I remember to--which can be a couple weeks. I do weigh every day, but also acknowledge that weight can go up and down by a few pounds for any number of reasons. I weigh myself daily as it's my coping mechanism to keep myself honest. :)

Thank you for the reply!

I weigh myself daily too. I find it motivating, and also helps me know whether a lower weight is a 'true' lower weight or not (rather than just a scale fluctuation). I do not record a weight loss on mfp until i see that number (or lower) on the scale a few days in a row.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Measure once a week, and so far I've been losing about 1/4" a week. So you sound like you're doing great! As long as you measure yourself at the same time of day (before your first meal is ideal, since food can fill you out a tad), you are probably doing okay.
  • recipe4success
    Options

That makes sense. Thank you!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    Measure once a week, and so far I've been losing about 1/4" a week. So you sound like you're doing great! As long as you measure yourself at the same time of day (before your first meal is ideal, since food can fill you out a tad), you are probably doing okay.

Thank you! Congratulations on your weight on inches lost so far.

That is a good point. I should remember to measure myself in the morning, rather than just after lunch as i did here.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    When I started to lose weight in February I did weekly weights, and measurements.

I now only do it monthly because my weight loss and inches lost would be miniscule since I am at the last "pesky inches and weight". After I finish losing I will only do the weight and measurements to remind myself to stay on track :D
  • SarahL522
    SarahL522 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I measure once a month and am trying to Stay OFF the scale and do that once a month as well. It just messes with my head. besides Measurements are way more impt than the scale. In the past Ive worked my butt off eating clean, right amounts etc and maybe only lost a pound or 2, but my measurements showed my sucess. I was building muscle.. hence no weight loss. Do whatever works best for you and keeps you on track. this works best for me. :)