Can you lose weight by lifting?

Options
Mamatano
Mamatano Posts: 24 Member
Hi all
I love cardio (i've always) and have so far lost some bit of weight through cardio with a bit of resistance training. Through reading several posts here I realize that i'm missing something in my exercise routine i.e weight lifting. I tried to do a bit yesterday i.e 10 minutes and i felt that I've not really done anything. I work out 5 days a week for 1 hour minimum.
I need to sweat to feel that I've worked out. I still need to lose 5kg. Please advise

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you didn't feel like you were doing anything you need to lift heavier stuff!
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lifting does amazing things for the body. I (and many others here) highly recommend it to most everyone.

Is it going to melt pounds off your body? Not necessarily.. especially not in comparison to cardio.

But it WILL help you look the way you want to look. Nobody wants to lose a bunch of weight and still be flabby. You want a tight body with muscle definition. That you'll get through lifting much more than just running. Plus it helps you be physically stronger and for women it's great to combat the loss of bone density. Also it just makes you a stronger person inside. Anyone who lifts can tell you how it changes the way they feel inside as well.

I feel the best program is always some combination of lifting and cardio. They complement each other perfectly.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight by lifting. Maybe google some supersets or circuit workouts. If you want to sweat while you lift weights those keep you moving pretty quickly. 10 minutes of lifting weights certainly won't make you feel like you've done much so I understand why you felt that way. But get a good routine together and you'll be good to go. Try muffin-topless.com or http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw86.htm
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I tried to do a bit yesterday i.e 10 minutes and i felt that I've not really done anything. I work out 5 days a week for 1 hour minimum.
    I need to sweat to feel that I've worked out. I still need to lose 5kg. Please advise

Well, you only lifted for 10 minutes....

Need more info about what you "lifted".
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You can lose by lifting. Plan in simple weight lose is using more calories than you are taking in. You said you did 10 min of weightlifting? That's nothing. My suggestion is to find a plan and stick with it. Sweating like muscle soreness is not an indicator of a good workout. Sweating just means you lost a little water.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    yes you can see the before and after in my profile

It was done solely with weight lifting - never more then 60 minutes of cardio in a whole week
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight without lifting or cardio, just maintain a caloric deficit...
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Heavier resistance training will help your overall progress to your goal. However, you can't lift off the weight, lord knows i have tried for years. Weight loss starts in the kitchen. There is no amount of resistance training or cardio that will compensate for high calorie consumption. I think if you focus on weight training for 45 min to an hour (time yourself) you will definitely feel like you did something. Move fast with very little rest between sets.
    Someone may have already touched on this but increased lean muscle mass from resistance training will help your body expend more calories at rest. As resistance training will keep your metabolism running at a higher rate for much longer than a cardio equivalent, we are talking for like several hours after! Friend me if you like i am more than willing to help and motivate. best wishes
  • lilc110
    lilc110 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there. I lost inches faster when I began incorporating heavy lifting (deadlifts, squats, presses) in addition to my cardio routine. The number on the scale decreased, probably not as much as I thought at first but I gained muscle and I liked how my body looked when I was lifting versus cardio only. Oh and since you are doing cardio, I recommend high intensity interval training. I also got leaner doing that in 20-30 minutes than I did a lower intensity cardio. You might want to give it a try. Good luck!
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do weights that have cardio intervals it will make you sweat and keep you heart pounding,I use 8 to 15 lb dumb bells and have fantastic deffenition. Check out UTube on Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 min series,I usually double them up ( they have lots of options on DVDs) and I also run.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I love cardio (i've always) and have so far lost some bit of weight through cardio with a bit of resistance training. Through reading several posts here I realize that i'm missing something in my exercise routine i.e weight lifting. I tried to do a bit yesterday i.e 10 minutes and i felt that I've not really done anything. I work out 5 days a week for 1 hour minimum.

I've been a cardio junkie all my life and had the same mindset.....if you're not running around, waving your arms in the air, jumping up and down, shaking your booty, sweating and gasping for dear life.....then you're not getting a good work out. I've come to learn this is so not true!!! Don't be afraid to hop off that elliptical and pick up heavy things and put them back down. It truly does a body good!!!! Does it help with weight loss?? Yes...in the regard that you will increase strength and lean muscle mass and muscles love to burn calories. However - weight loss is primary achieved through calorie deficit. So don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zone and swap out a day or two of cardio for strength training. I recommend read 'the new rules of weight lifting for women'. I'd also like to add the body weight training is totally kick *kitten* too...and it will leave you breathless!!!!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Wait until your HR shoots up to 75% to 80% of max because of pressure load. Squat 1.5 to 2 times your body weight on your shoulders. Deadlift 3x your body weight. You'll feel like you've gotten a workout :)

Weight lifting takes time to get into though. Focus on form and technique first. Let weight come later. Remember muscle burns more calories throughout the day than fat.

How many calories do you burn in an hour of cardio? 700 cals, 800 cals? Lets say 750 cals over 5 days. 3750 cals per week.
    How many calories is your BMR? Lets say it's 2000. That means you have about 130 lbs of muscle.
    Bump that up to 150 lbs and your BMR goes to 2200. Your burning an extra 200 calories a day. Over 7 days that's 1400 cals. That's a good solid chunk of your normal cardio burn simply for BREATHING.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options

If you aren't sweating when you're lifting, you're not doing it right. I'd suggest looking into Stronglifts 5X5, Starting Strength or NROLFW, they're a great way to lose INCHES ie body fat which is personally what I'm after rather than what's on the scale.
  • tunafishriot
    Options
    I've lost around 50 pounds just lifting 2-3 times a week. My lifting sessions usually last 1h to 1h30m.

At my lowest weight I had abs. Overall, I've lost a lot of fat and my body gained a lot of definition.

Diet is the most important factor though. Lifting helps you get the tight body look.

I've dieted and cardio'd without lifting before and ended up skinny yet flabby. Never again.
  • Mamatano
    Mamatano Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wait until your HR shoots up to 75% to 80% of max because of pressure load. Squat 1.5 to 2 times your body weight on your shoulders. Deadlift 3x your body weight. You'll feel like you've gotten a workout :)

Weight lifting takes time to get into though. Focus on form and technique first. Let weight come later. Remember muscle burns more calories throughout the day than fat.

How many calories do you burn in an hour of cardio? 700 cals, 800 cals? Lets say 750 cals over 5 days. 3750 cals per week.
    How many calories is your BMR? Lets say it's 2000. That means you have about 130 lbs of muscle.
    Bump that up to 150 lbs and your BMR goes to 2200. Your burning an extra 200 calories a day. Over 7 days that's 1400 cals. That's a good solid chunk of your normal cardio burn simply for BREATHING.
    [/quote

Wow I never though of it that way.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    yes