Still confused about BMR and TDEE

Options
I've read most of the posts on this topic and I'm really sorry but I'm still confused.

MFP thinks my target should be 1200 calories per day.
My Fitbit account thinks the same.

I've worked out my BMR at 1562 and my TDEE at 2140

I'm a 47 year old female, 5ft 8 and currently weigh 186lbs. I'm aiming for 154lbs.

According to everything I'm reading I should be eating quite a bit more than 1200 but am I misunderstanding?

Replies

• maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Me to I have post on here because I feel the same way.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Calculators only do the math... you have to supply some common sense.

1200 is rarely a good, healthy goal. Your BMR and TDEE numbers sound much more reasonable. I'd aim somewhere between those 2 numbers, do that for a month then evaluate your results.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Calculators only do the math... you have to supply some common sense.

1200 is rarely a good, healthy goal. Your BMR and TDEE numbers sound much more reasonable. I'd aim somewhere between those 2 numbers, do that for a month then evaluate your results.
    Agreed. Do you have your MFP goal set at 2 lbs/week? A lot of times that forces people to have their goals at 1200 when they really should be higher. I'd suggest TDEE -20% which would put you at 1712 per day which is between your BMR and TDEE.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've read most of the posts on this topic and I'm really sorry but I'm still confused.

MFP thinks my target should be 1200 calories per day.
    My Fitbit account thinks the same.

I've worked out my BMR at 1562 and my TDEE at 2140

I'm a 47 year old female, 5ft 8 and currently weigh 186lbs. I'm aiming for 154lbs.

According to everything I'm reading I should be eating quite a bit more than 1200 but am I misunderstanding?

1562 is your basal metabolic rate .... the number of calories needed ... if you were in a coma.... don't eat below this.

MFP gave you 1200 because you put in "I want to lose XX pounds" a week. Decrease the number of pounds to lose per week .... or change your calorie requirements in the Goals menu.
  • ForbiddenFruit
    ForbiddenFruit Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Do you have your MFP goal set at 2 lbs/week? A lot of times that forces people to have their goals at 1200 when they really should be higher. I'd suggest TDEE -20% which would put you at 1712 per day which is between your BMR and TDEE.

I had it set for 1 1/2 lbs.

I've changed it to 1lb and it still only thinks I should be on 1410

1700 seems huge but could make for an interesting experiment. I'm struggling to feel comfortable with that :-s
  • crista_b
    Options

I had it set for 1 1/2 lbs.

I've changed it to 1lb and it still only thinks I should be on 1410

1700 seems huge but could make for an interesting experiment. I'm struggling to feel comfortable with that :-s
    It's scary, especially if you've always been under the belief and been taught eat less = weigh less, but it really does work. I did MFP for a few months about a year ago and lost about 20 pounds very slowly at around 1300 calories per day. Now I'm back here, and after learning a lot more, I'm up to just over 1600 per day and I've lost almost 6 pounds in the 3 weeks I've been on here.
  • ForbiddenFruit
    ForbiddenFruit Posts: 62 Member
    Options

It's scary, especially if you've always been under the belief and been taught eat less = weigh less, but it really does work. I did MFP for a few months about a year ago and lost about 20 pounds very slowly at around 1300 calories per day. Now I'm back here, and after learning a lot more, I'm up to just over 1600 per day and I've lost almost 6 pounds in the 3 weeks I've been on here.

Thank you.

I don't think I can quite bring myself to go as high as 1700 so I'll try to eat my BMR and see what happens. I am planning to start C25K so I'm guessing I'll need to add that in as well. I forsee quite a lot of protein shakes as I've not been hungry on 1200 lol
  • Lindyxx
    Lindyxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Im the same feeling quite confused by it all, mfp says I should have 1200 cals, been on the http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and entered all my details, but by going by different research models i.e Harris Benedict, Katch-Mcardle, they all give different numbers, Im well confused as to what I should be eating. Could someone help me please??

Im 38,
    height 5'1
    weight 176lbs
    I put down moderate exercise 3-5 times a week.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

This is a good tool to use if you are looking to figure out calorie intake. I have used this.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Im the same feeling quite confused by it all, mfp says I should have 1200 cals, been on the http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and entered all my details, but by going by different research models i.e Harris Benedict, Katch-Mcardle, they all give different numbers, Im well confused as to what I should be eating. Could someone help me please??

Im 38,
    height 5'1
    weight 176lbs
    Based on the stats you gave, I'd say you should be between 1600-1700 calories per day.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Im 38,
    height 5'1
    weight 176lbs

Yes - you will get a few different numbers. It's not exact .... people with a higher % of muscle mass do have higher TDEE than people with a higher % of fat.... but weight loss calculators can't know that. Get a couple numbers & pick one ...... if you feel you are losing too slow .... then adjust ..... too fast .... then adjust.
  • Lindyxx
    Options
    Thanks guys, used the calculator that Jules said, and that gave me 1658, and Crista said between 1600-1700, so Im gonna try 1650 a day see how I get on, just another quick question....teabea, you said if im losing to slow to adjust, how do I do that, do I eat more calories, or eat less?
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Thanks guys, used the calculator that Jules said, and that gave me 1658, and Crista said between 1600-1700, so Im gonna try 1650 a day see how I get on, just another quick question....teabea, you said if im losing to slow to adjust, how do I do that, do I eat more calories, or eat less?

Healthy weight loss is moderate .... so you should aim for this:
    Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1.0 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

I don't know what your range is ....but let's say it's 1 pound a week ...... if you find you are losing less than 1 pound a week.....after a few weeks ... then decrease your calories a bit.

If you should be in the 1 pound range and find you are losing faster .... then increase your calories a bit. One week will not be the best indicator.... water weight, TOM .... too many reasons for fluctuations.
  • Lindyxx
    Options

Healthy weight loss is moderate .... so you should aim for this:
    Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1.0 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

I don't know what your range is ....but let's say it's 1 pound a week ...... if you find you are losing less than 1 pound a week.....after a few weeks ... then decrease your calories a bit.

If you should be in the 1 pound range and find you are losing faster .... then increase your calories a bit. One week will not be the best indicator.... water weight, TOM .... too many reasons for fluctuations.

Thanks alot for the reply, Id say I prob want to lose around 20lbs for now.